Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

"real" Vista UI? ..or fake

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

i cant tell ...   ( from longhorn blogs)

http://www.longhornblogs.com/robert/archive/2006/08/31/Is_This_The_Final_UI_for_Windows_Vista.aspx

?

ps - channel9 has been "server error ..etc" alot recently...

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Neither. Tongue Out

Old

(With a photoshop mashup here and there)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I hope those are fake. From what little I can make out, they look worse than Vista currently does (especially the gray taskbar).

And yes, it does remind me of the 40xx builds.

• User profile image
    jamie

those are different though

also - read what rob says about "why they might be real"

*could it be vista may actually look like that old demo? Big Smile

• User profile image
    jamie

there's more i didnt see here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95457049@N00/

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I wish that daily build would be available from our internal distribution servers... I'll have to wait about 130 more builds to get there.

Smiley

(translation: fake)

(unless there is some seekrit lab working at our moon base doing that...)

• User profile image
    MasterPi

It's a photoshopped image with old visual style and new Vista components (like Start orb, etc).

Fake, old...who really cares?  I'm fairly certain that Vista is not going to look like that.  They're not gonna just get rid of the proven search bar, de emphasize black by getting rid of the color from the taskbar, blah blah blah.

• User profile image
    jamie

this is line that stood out to me most:

"Some of the screenshots contain visual elements and styles that I've seen before but can't discuss further. "

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

PaoloM wrote:
    I wish that daily build would be available from our internal distribution servers... I'll have to wait about 130 more builds to get there.

(translation: fake)

(unless there is some seekrit lab working at our moon base doing that...)
    Just out of crazy curiousity, how long does it take to compile a build of Vista? Or was that referenced/hinted at somewhere else on this site...

[A]

P.S. Bonus...what's the line count?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    Just out of crazy curiousity, how long does it take to compile a build of Vista?

I actually don't know. WDS 3.0 builds on a dev machine (dual core AMD, 2Gb RAM) in about an hour and a half, and we're, let's say, *smaller* than Vista Wink
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    P.S. Bonus...what's the line count?

It's about ***BUFFER OVERFLOW***

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jamie wrote:
    this is line that stood out to me most:

"Some of the screenshots contain visual elements and styles that I've seen before but can't discuss further. "

Yes, I think we all see visual elements and styles we've seen before which we can't discuss further (because none of us have actually used the said builds containing those styles).

Big Smile

I really don't think these shots are anything more than a photoshopper's wet dream.

• User profile image
    Andrew Davey

Is that using both cores?!

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Andrew Davey wrote:
    Is that using both cores?!

Beats me. I'm a Program Manager with a specialized skill in Hand Waving.

Smiley

Edit: to give you an idea, but not a real answer, if you would take WDS 3.0 line count and multiply it by 1,000, you would overflow a signed long.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

PaoloM wrote:
    Edit: to give you an idea, but not a real answer, if you would take WDS 3.0 line count and multiply it by 1,000, you would overflow a signed long.

You're saying WDS3 has more than two million lines of code? Isn't Windows Server 2003 supposed to be around forty million? Surely all of Windows Server is more than just 20x WDS3?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Sven Groot wrote:

PaoloM wrote: Edit: to give you an idea, but not a real answer, if you would take WDS 3.0 line count and multiply it by 1,000, you would overflow a signed long.

You're saying WDS3 has more than two million lines of code? Isn't Windows Server 2003 supposed to be around forty million? Surely all of Windows Server is more than just 20x WDS3?

I won't confirm or deny anything Smiley

(seriously, this is stuff I shouldn't have said in the first place...)

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

PaoloM wrote:

Sven Groot wrote: 
    PaoloM wrote: Edit: to give you an idea, but not a real answer, if you would take WDS 3.0 line count and multiply it by 1,000, you would overflow a signed long.

I won't confirm or deny anything

(seriously, this is stuff I shouldn't have said in the first place...)

We always suspected there was a secret moonbase...

• User profile image
    Minh

Entirely possible. The very flexible UI pipeline of WPF makes it very easy to create totally different looking theme.

I'd say maybe not for the 1st release of Vista, but don't be surprise if a theme pack contains a new UI is released in Q1-07.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Minh wrote:
    Entirely possible. The very flexible UI pipeline of WPF makes it very easy to create totally different looking theme.

I'd say maybe not for the 1st release of Vista, but don't be surprise if a theme pack contains a new UI is released in Q1-07.

True, it IS possible, but why would this guy take the pictures at such odd angles?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.