Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Our biggest challenge: Climate Change

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

As some of you may know I work for an Energy Company.

Every day I am reminded that climate change is real and is the greatest challenge of our time.

Recent events in the UK has put climate change at the top of the political agenda.

It is very important that we all do our part and it's the small things that make a difference. If we all lower our carbon footprint it will make a difference.

http://www.carbonfootprint.com/

So, if you aren't going to use your computer tonight switch it right off please. 

Does other device in your home or office really need to be on stand-by?
    Do you have to make every trip in your car?
    Does heat escape from you house?
    Do you have to leave lights on?
    Are you using energy saving bulbs or other energy saving devices?

Did you know in the UK if we didn't have any devices on stand by a night we could switch off a whole power station!

Now if that Power station was Drax, thats enough power for 7 million homes saved!

I'm not going to get all preachy we know whats at stake here, but every little bit really does help.

Cheers and thanks for listening.

Big Smile

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Buy an electric car.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H G Wells

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

Well said, Sabot.

I've recently gotten serious about these issues. I've replaced my 20mpg car with a 35mpg one, all my bulbs are the squiggly ones, and water and elec consumption is being watched more carefully.

I'm not one of those people who secretly wishes the planet would revert to a premodern age, but we do need to be responsible with the resources we do use.

• User profile image
    Rossj

There are those who say that Climate Change is not happening or not driven by human consumption, but you know if it isn't happening you haven't lost anything by changing - if it is then you are making a difference.

Would you want to have to say to your kids - lots of people said it was happening and I just didn't believe them and wouldn't rein in my consumption "just in case" ... sorry 'bout that.

I've changed my car from a 30mpg one to a 50mpg one (although I typically get about 46mpg), I've also asked to work from home for 2 days a week Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sabot wrote:
    So, if you aren't going to use your computer tonight switch it right off please.

I leave my LAN's server on 24/7, but it's low consumption, I'm thinking of getting one of those x86 Sun boxen with (really) low consumption/heat when I can afford one.

When I'm downloading stuff, I leave my main box on, but turn all the periphials (incl. monitors) off.

Sabot wrote:
    Does other device in your home or office really need to be on stand-by?

Nope, I hardly ever leave anything on standby.

Sabot wrote:
    Do you have to make every trip in your car?

Depends where it's too.

Sabot wrote:
    Does heat escape from you house?

We're getting cavity-insulation installed soon.

Sabot wrote:
    Do you have to leave lights on?

Nope, with the exception of the kitchen light, I just forget to turn it off (but they're both flourescent bulbs, so I don't feel so guilty about it)

Sabot wrote:
    Are you using energy saving bulbs or other energy saving devices?

On an "as they burn out"-basis, yes. Except for the lights in the Study, they're those 12V lights inside the celing that rotate.

Sabot wrote:
    Did you know in the UK if we didn't have any devices on stand by a night we could switch off a whole power station!

I thought it was more than that.

Sabot wrote:
    Now if that Power station was Drax, thats enough power for 7 million homes saved!

...it would be 7 million homes for all powerstations, not just Drax, your logic confounds me.

Sabot wrote:
    I'm not going to get all preachy we know whats at stake here, but every little bit really does help.

Cheers and thanks for listening.

mmmhmmm

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Sabot

W3bbo wrote:

Sabot wrote: Did you know in the UK if we didn't have any devices on stand by a night we could switch off a whole power station!

I thought it was more than that.

It's not an accurate estimate, used more as analogy to help the man in the street understand.

W3bbo wrote:

Sabot wrote: Now if that Power station was Drax, thats enough power for 7 million homes saved!

...it would be 7 million homes for all powerstations, not just Drax, your logic confounds me.

if off-topic is true then

Oh confused one, let me explain ...

We have a National Grid, Power-stations supply electricity to the grid, the grid supplies electricity to local distribution areas, which then in turn supplies it to you.

The idea is that enough electricity is generated to meet demand, we can't over produce because there's no way to store it, we can't under produce otherwise stuff stops working. The idea is GBSO (Great Britain Service Operator) must balance the grid.

The GBSO which is currently National Grid/Transco (it could be another company when the licence is up) use a system called EDL to send instructions to tell power stations to produce more/less or on/off, the power station operator communicate the price of how much an instruction will cost (this system is called bids and offers) also other information is sent to GBSO about a plant capability, i.e. how much it can produce.

If we all start to switch stuff off, GBSO will work out what best to switch off taking into account cost and plant statistics.

... are you all still with me so far??? ...

Drax is a 'base load' power station, as it's coal fired, it take a long time to get up to speed and a load time to adjust the output, so if as stand-by devices are constantly on, they form part of a base demand as their demand isn't variable, so switching these devices off on mase reduces the base load demand meaning that the GBSO will target a base load power station to switch off.

... and as Drax is the biggest power station with the largest carbon output, it's kind of attractive right now to keep it off if we can.

Incidentally, Nuclear reactors are also base load power stations.

end if

• User profile image
    Tensor

Sabot wrote:

Drax is the most efficient coal-fired power station - just switch of eggborough & ferrybridge instead - they are just up the road anyway Smiley

My climate change contribution is fairly awful at the moment as I drive 87 miles a day to work and back Perplexed - past drax, eggborough and ferrrybridge as it happens!

You wouldnt believe how many police vans there are round here atm.

• User profile image
    Sabot

yman wrote:

We used to have a 36inc CRT  TV (We are LCD now), I am frightened to know what that consumed. All the lights dimmed when you turned it on.

Look at your electricty meter it will tell you how much electricity you are using.

Tensor wrote:

Sabot wrote: Now if that Power station was Drax, thats enough power for 7 million homes saved!

Drax is the most efficient coal-fired power station - just switch of eggborough & ferrybridge instead - they are just up the road anyway Smiley

My climate change contribution is fairly awful at the moment as I drive 87 miles a day to work and back - past drax, eggborough and ferrrybridge as it happens!

You wouldnt believe how many police vans there are round here atm.

I work for the Ferrybridge lot, were working on getting the station to burn over substances than just coal. Olive stones for instance, no I'm not joking!

• User profile image
    Tensor

I'll be helping get coal from Immingham to, amongst others, Ferrybridge.

Seems I am working for the enemy :o

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Sabot wrote:
    As some of you may know I work for an Energy Company.

You work for lucozade?  Big Smile

...as well as the standby lights the thing that annoys me is people using tap water for their garden etc, just think of how much electricty is used to pump and process this.

Why can't more people have water barrels connected to the roof downpipe, or reuse bath water?

The other thing that bugs me is lighting up buildings, statues, bridges at night (like 4am etc)..  ..such a waste.

• User profile image
    Sabot

So, what is your organisation doing to help fight climate change?

In the UK, reducing carbon footprints is going to be a matter of tax and targets, but the first steps have already been taken to turn certain points into law. I think that this is a good thing.

• User profile image
    Charles

This is an important issue for the industry. Thanks for starting a thread on this, sabot.

At Microsoft, the amount of electricity we use is staggering. However, all offices are equipped with flourescent lighting and incandescent lights are frowned upon. Unfortunately, an awful large number of computers are left running all the time. We need to improve in this area for sure...

C

• User profile image
    Jaz

do you have solar power on any of the buildings?  are there any forms of alternate energy being used at Microsoft?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Jaz wrote:
    do you have solar power on any of the buildings?  are there any forms of alternate energy being used at Microsoft?

I've mentioned elsewhere, in jest, that a cool computer station would be one where the user has to pedal a generator in order for the monitor to come on.  This could be expanded to include some of the lesser productive members of the team.  You know, the ones that spend all day on C9 ... er...anyway.

It might also get some of us back into shape again.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Small gasoline powered engines, like lawn-mowers, weed-eaters, and chain saws should be targeted for technological makeover where emissions is objective #1. That seems an obvious start to me.

The whole trading energy-penalty-credits, aka Negawatts, between corporations seems very strange to me.Emissions trading wiki.

There is also a fuel-credits-trading program from the DOE in the USA; "Renewable Energy Credits".

I'm not sure what to think. I don't have a grasp on this trick yet.

• User profile image
    Red5

ScanIAm wrote:

Jaz wrote: do you have solar power on any of the buildings?  are there any forms of alternate energy being used at Microsoft?

I've mentioned elsewhere, in jest, that a cool computer station would be one where the user has to pedal a generator in order for the monitor to come on.  This could be expanded to include some of the lesser productive members of the team.  You know, the ones that spend all day on C9 ... er...anyway.

It might also get some of us back into shape again.

Reminds me of Soylent Green.

Good topic Sabot.  We all need to be better stewards of the earth and our limited resources.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.