Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Aww, comon Microsoft

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

When are we going to see some stuff like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkSObRtw0o

"3D Desktop! TouchScreen and XGL on Linux (part 2)"

• User profile image
    BenZillaThe​Second

Hopefully never - it looks garbage.

• User profile image
    Rowan

Wow, it just keeps getting better. Even if you could just pull the window away like that with the mouse it would be useful.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Cybermagellan wrote:
    When are we going to see some stuff like this?
    never, why? because its pretty useless, its not big deal, also you need a touch screen panel that's not that cheat i think

• User profile image
    jamie

i love that

well...not that bouncy jiggle wait time - or the lag /space between finger and stretched window - but just in general

using a tablet with your finger - like the scrolling - no more mouse
    throw in some cool 3d stuff (like that) id buy it (pop up transparent keyboard on screen) etc

• User profile image
    BryanF

My understanding was that Vista's tablet software will have touchscreen support, so it's not out of the question if the hardware is there. Though I have to say, the effects they showed did look pretty gimmicky, but I guess that's to be expected from a demo.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

jaylittle wrote:

Well to be fair... every single one of those effects is included in the current XGL/Compwiz packages.  It will be up to the Window Managers themselves in the future to decide which effects they'd like to implement though - so that demo really isn't representative of the future especially seeing as how XGL isn't the future, at least not once ATI/Nvidia begin to support AIGLX directly within their next driver revisions.

AIGLX and XGL arn't what make those cool 3D effects. They simply provide a OpenGL rendered X server (XGL) or extention (AIGLX). Compiz is the window manager that handles those effect and will now work properly on both XGL and AIGLX.

Compiz comes with one window theme and several effect plugins by default. But there are third party themes and plugins being developed.

I now agree that AIGLX is a better approach as its meant as an extention to the already "tried and true" X.Org  server rather than a completely new server with bugs and security holes that would take 20 years to reach the maturity of X.Org and XFree86.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

I really like the related video of the touchscreen and Starcraft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYY-g6ionzM&NR

The ability to use each finger as input, even if it only receives one at a time, looks very intuitive and productive.  The #D is definitely cool to look at, but I'm not sure of the use case yet.  I guess it would be a fun way to Remote Desktop into another computer.

• User profile image
    Angus

I don't think I would use that at all, although it is cool.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

AdamKinney wrote:
    I really like the related video of the touchscreen and Starcraft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYY-g6ionzM&NR

The ability to use each finger as input, even if it only receives one at a time, looks very intuitive and productive.  The #D is definitely cool to look at, but I'm not sure of the use case yet.  I guess it would be a fun way to Remote Desktop into another computer.

Check out the Warcraft III table http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOg_tGIsYGs&NR

I've always wanted something like that (Well, ever since I first played Warcraft 1).

• User profile image
    Tensor

Many moons ago I had a touchscreen flatpanel for work, because we were developing stuff for it. It seems really cool for about a week - then you realise you can not see your screen anymore for the greasy fingerprints. So you stop using it, but then every now and again while showing someone something t your desk you point to your screen and *click* argh!

So then you switch the damn thing off.

• User profile image
    jamie

Tensor wrote:

Many moons ago I had a touchscreen flatpanel for work, because we were developing stuff for it. It seems really cool for about a week - then you realise you can not see your screen anymore for the greasy fingerprints. So you stop using it, but then every now and again while showing someone something t your desk you point to your screen and *click* argh!

So then you switch the damn thing off.

what if the pen was a finger pen? same tech as in tablet pen but you wear it = no smudge? (do they make these?  edit: if they do - can you wear two at the same time and have two pointers? Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:
    what if the pen was a finger pen? same tech as in tablet pen but you wear it = no smudge? (do they make these?  edit: if they do - can you wear two at the same time and have two pointers?

That design wouldn't work, well... it might, but the "fingertip" would be at least an inch long by virtue of the way Wacom's technology works. Inferior RF technology is even worse, requiring a bulky battery in the stylus and requiring even more space.

And since it would be at least an inch long, you lose the "fingertip" feeling (except if it was attached to your fingernail, that way you gain "biological" pressure sensitivity[1])

[1]Your fingernails are the most pressure-sensitive parts in your body, aparently

• User profile image
    jamie

W3bbo wrote:

the "fingertip" would be at least an inch long by virtue of the way Wacom's technology works.

wacom?  i meant tablet pc - that comes with a pen.

Inferior RF technology is even worse, requiring a bulky battery in the stylus and requiring even more space.

im assuming tablet pens are not too bulky.. never tried one.  if so - ok a wrist pack with a finger sheaf

And since it would be at least an inch long, you lose the "fingertip" feeling (except if it was attached to your fingernail, that way you gain "biological" pressure sensitivity[1])

well  you dont feel the pen i imagine - its more about no smudgy finger tips - an artificial finger tip.

[1]Your fingernails are the most pressure-sensitive parts in your body, aparently

• User profile image
    staceyw

I actually liked the soundtrack.  Anyone know who that is?

Windows already has ability to do this.  With a touch screen, you could write an app that did this.  Using WPF would make it much easier.  The scrollbar thing would be nice to be able to do.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Most of that is just not very useful.

• User profile image
    jamie

with the finger glove...on the couch...with a tablet...no smudges... move stuff by touch ...

it could be useful?

* i liked it anyway..  just seemed demo laggy

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

staceyw wrote:
    I actually liked the soundtrack.  Anyone know who that is?
    yep, thats Keiji Haino - Track 11 (Evolving Blush or Driving Original Sin), you should listen Track 8 (same album), now thats really cool.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.