Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Mac BU Product Decisions

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

It looks like the new MacMojo (MacBU) blog is going to be very popular, although a lot of the comments seem to be requests for more products from the team. It is an interesting read though.

I had emailed someone in the past asking if there was ever likely to be a MS Money port to OSX as everybody who is stuck using Quicken complains about the product and the support (Intuit support seem to take the view that we can't go anywhere else so we will put up with shoddy service), but was told there are no plans to do this (and is probably unlikely).

So is Mac BU set up to solely produce Office OSX now? Is there any likelihood that we might get something different from Mac BU, or better yet a Live Messenger impl that has voice and video? I can understand having nothing that isn't normally produced by Microsoft, after all Mac BU is part of a larger organisation whose focus is not this platform .. but it would be nice if some of the things we had were at the same level as the Windows counterparts - although I continually hear that Office OSX is nicer than the Windows version.

I would ask on the blog (I have) but suspect my comment will be swamped with the other 100 odd product requests.

Does nobody from Mac BU visit C9?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    I had emailed someone in the past asking if there was ever likely to be a MS Money port to OSX as everybody who is stuck using Quicken complains about the product and the support (Intuit support seem to take the view that we can't go anywhere else so we will put up with shoddy service), but was told there are no plans to do this (and is probably unlikely).

Why not make one yourself? I can see it quickly becoming ubiquitous amongst Mac users (esp. "home" users).

I can see it now "Introducing 'Currency'", complete with aqua-coloured coins and notes for the icons.

Rossj wrote:
    So is Mac BU set up to solely produce Office OSX now? Is there any likelihood that we might get something different from Mac BU, or better yet a Live Messenger impl that has voice and video? I can understand having nothing that isn't normally produced by Microsoft, after all Mac BU is part of a larger organisation whose focus is not this platform .. but it would be nice if some of the things we had were at the same level as the Windows counterparts - although I continually hear that Office OSX is nicer than the Windows version.

Rossj wrote:

No, but Channel9 visits the MacBU.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Rossj wrote:

Not until the rich textbox works in Safari. Smiley

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

W3bbo wrote:
    Why not make one yourself? I can see it quickly becoming ubiquitous amongst Mac users (esp. "home" users).

Hehe, I had exactly the same thought. Of course, I got the thing basically finished and then learned about Cocoa Bindings and Core Data. If I use those two technologies in the app, then about 75% of the code can just go away. Temptations ....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.