Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Live Search: Where'd the good site go?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

Maybe this happened a few days ago and I just noticed right now, but it appears the Windows Live folks have updated Windows Live Search on Live.com... Now instead of the awesome AJAX site that once graced Live.com, there's just a MSN-Search-like site.

Anyone know if they're planning on bringing the old site back?

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

Although it was cool, it was a tad too slow and a bit overly complex.  I like the change.  It has a chance of being my default search now.Smiley

• User profile image
    Rowan

Looks like common sense prevailed once again. Nice big readable text and more real estate for the results, that's how it should be.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Wow, that's fast! Just set the number of results to 50 per page and we're almost as good as the AJAX one (I liked that it was a continuous stream of results, instead of pages)...

• User profile image
    BryanF

I think it's a great improvement, though I would like to see the return of the continuous scrolling results rather than paged. It is possible to get the same effect without the somewhat awkward custom-built scrollbar control.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Excellent. New home page for my IE.

• User profile image
    andokai

BryanF wrote:
    I think it's a great improvement, though I would like to see the return of the continuous scrolling results rather than paged. It is possible to get the same effect without the somewhat awkward custom-built scrollbar control.

That's actually quite cool.

I don't see why they didn't give yu the option like they did with Windows Live Mail to go with the plain version or the AJAXy one.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Instead of one or the other, why not offer a configurable option to let users choose whether to use the AJAX version or this one?

edit:  Duh, I just said the same thing andokai did

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I hated the AJAX version. This one is pretty nice so far.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

The Ajax version had one critical problem:  if you clicked the back button from one of your search results, you'd end up at the very beginning of the results.  At least this way you can keep your spot!

• User profile image
    Charles

I like it! The AJAX-heavy version was just to, well, AJAX-heavy... AJAX is cool, but it should be used when really needed, not just to show how AJAXy a site can be...

Nice work team!
    C

• User profile image
    Jaz

true, but i kinda liked having the unlimited scroll.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Now this is more like it! Smiley

that was one thing they had going on google, the continous scrolling...see what happens...

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Now I might start using it.

A quick test on a search for EPL:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=epl
    http://beta.search.live.com/results.aspx?q=EPL&FORM=LVSP

well at least the AJAX is gone. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    questron

I think they did a great job with the new design.
    It's finally replacing my Yahoo!-Startpage now. I only wish the Live-Mail-Module would work more often than once a week.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.