Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

does pre-RC1 (or RC1) support fat32? update:  no

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

getting ready to install (on main 3 monitor machine! first time) - but have main drive with partitions C: + D:  in fat32.  This is a 200 gig drive - that also uses raid mirror on second 200 gig drive.

I have cleaned out C: so i can format - but i cannot - cannot lose D:

will vista install on formatted fat 32 (ie will it let you do this/do it for you) - or will it convert drive to ntfs - both partitions - (and raid?) before installing

...   ?

edit - * will it also give option of not using raid - so i can use the other drive again?

..signed the guy whos only loaded raid once...and has no idea if its even working ;P

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Well, I have it installed on an NTFS drive, but I also have a 5GB FAT 32 partition. So... why not format your C drive as NTFS, and keep your D drive (with all of your files on it) FAT 32.  Or better yet, disable RAID, format one of the 200GB hard drives with NTFS, then move all of your files over to it, and then format the other drive with NTFS.  Then you'll have twice the space with higher security.  (It seems to me that things like UAC really have no power over a FAT 32 drive, so it can't prevent malware from executing on it, right?)

But I don’t know if Vista will let the system drive be FAT 32, but it’s not recommendable anyway.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

• User profile image
    jamie

so i can format C: ntfs - and for sure 100% d: fat32 will not be altered?

*also its been too long since ive copied stuff around in commandline mode - so what ever i do - it needs to be during graphical install - once i get back in (hopefully) i could move files around to new useable raid drive

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

jamie wrote:
    so i can format C: ntfs - and for sure 100% d: fat32 will not be altered?

Since they are two separate drives, yes.
    edit:
    Or rather, since they appear as two separate drives to Windows, since separate partitions would work too.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

jamie wrote:
    no its one drive ( c + d)  with a mirror drive  ( c+ d i imagine...never seen it)

I would say that since they appear as two separate drives to Windows, it will work fine.

...but second opinion, anyone?

• User profile image
    jamie

thanks for the help.  burning ISO now

maybe ill just do a dry run and see what it asks first

*and if i just dont hit F3 for raid - it will not load it - and the other drive will just appear - correct? (or do i still hit f3 - and go in and configure it to not use raid first - as its already on?

sorry - never removed raid - only added it

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Operations on one partition doesn't affect any other partition. If you format partition A, partition B won't give a damn about it.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

jamie wrote:
    *and if i just dont hit F3 for raid - it will not load it - and the other drive will just appear - correct? (or do i still hit f3 - and go in and configure it to not use raid first - as its already on?

sorry - never removed raid - only added it

I spent $40 more dollars on a 500GB hard drive than two 250GB hard drives so that I wouldn't have to deal with raid.  I can't honestly say that I know much about it.

...anyone?

• User profile image
    jamie

well - we are off to an interesting start.

Vista:  "you have no drives"

haha

so ... i guess it doesnt even "read"???  fat32?

that .... is.... nuts

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I don't know what your RAID solution is (is it RAID0? RAID1? Native Windows? A 3rd party? Hardware from the motherboard?) so I can't comment on the removal procedure.

However (and read this with a grain of salt the size of Mississagua), you should be able to "detach" the two drives and end up with basically two copies of the same data (if it was RAID1). At this point my suggestion would be:

Create a minimum of 3 partitions spanning your drives.

C: should contain your daya-to-day work OS and apps (say, XP and Office 2003). I'd say 30Gb should be sufficient. Don't store any data on this drive, all your document, photo, etc should go on E:

D: should contain your testing OS and apps (Vista + Office 2007). This should not contain any critical data and be ready to be nuked at a moments notice. Again, 30Gb should suffice.

E: should contain all your data and be as big as possible.

I see no reason NOT to use NTFS for all partitions and it would improve pretty much everything compared to FAT32 Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie wrote:

haha

that .... is.... nuts

DO NOT do anything until you have safely backed up your data, please Smiley

Then go and play with RAID removal..

• User profile image
    figuerres

Raid comes in two main "flavors"

Hardware based

Software based

hardware based is what most folks perfer as it's faster and generaly has more options like raid type (0,1,5,10) and so on.

software is generaly when the OS makes the raid happen with drivers in the OS.

for example if you have 2 drives and you go into windows disk management and tell it to make them into a mirror set then thats a "software based raid" and a windows driver has to manage it and make it look like one disk in the filesystem.

hardware based generaly have a disk that helps you create the raid and may also have a boot-bios you can access to do some things.

it normaly has a driver that windows loads just to "help out"
    and keep windows from trying to muck about with the settings.

so if you have an XP soft-raid and you upgrade to vista then vista should handle it just fine as long as there is a vista driver for the disk controller / chip set.

if it's a hardware raid then you need a driver for windows to see it .
    w/o that windows may see a bunch of disks and offer to format them or may not see the disks at all -- depends on the hardware used and windows ablity to see it.

HTH

• User profile image
    figuerres

PaoloM wrote:

jamie wrote: 

haha

that .... is.... nuts

DO NOT do anything until you have safely backed up your data, please

Then go and play with RAID removal..

Seconded and passed!

and PLEASE document what you have so you know next time what it is: hardware,software,type of card etc....
    it may help if you ever have a failure to know how to re-build / get parts etc...

• User profile image
    jamie

http://www.channel9.ca/stuff/newmachine/

what the machine is: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=50803#50803

so...in XP - can i just click C: and say be NTFS?

** it is REALLY silly the installer cant see the fat32 drives and offer to update them

edit:  major screw up - d is the 200 gig (plus mirror) - there is also a main drive

anyway - all drives fat 32 - vista sees none of them.. so maybe i should pretend to install XP - and use its ntfs convertor - then canel - then try again (silly)

• User profile image
    jamie

no its one drive ( c + d)  with a mirror drive  ( c+ d i imagine...never seen it)

edit - you were right - there are 3 drives ( 2 that you can see both separate)
    i hate raid Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM wrote:
    I don't know what your RAID solution is (is it RAID0? RAID1? Native Windows? A 3rd party? Hardware from the motherboard?) so I can't comment on the removal procedure.

However (and read this with a grain of salt the size of Mississagua), you should be able to "detach" the two drives and end up with basically two copies of the same data (if it was RAID1). At this point my suggestion would be:

Create a minimum of 3 partitions spanning your drives.

C: should contain your daya-to-day work OS and apps (say, XP and Office 2003). I'd say 30Gb should be sufficient. Don't store any data on this drive, all your document, photo, etc should go on E:

D: should contain your testing OS and apps (Vista + Office 2007). This should not contain any critical data and be ready to be nuked at a moments notice. Again, 30Gb should suffice.

E: should contain all your data and be as big as possible.

I see no reason NOT to use NTFS for all partitions and it would improve pretty much everything compared to FAT32

ok - rebooted - into raid config

options were

-delete raid
    -put drives back to normal

chose 3rd - "warning all data on drives will be erased  ...ESC!

somedays i hate computers Smiley

if i choose - delete raid - will raid just go away and leave data? (i was afraid to click it)

• User profile image
    jamie

saved by the bell - downloading RC1!

thread ..on hold ( i think ill call Jakub to be safe Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.