Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

do we need a body for international data storage?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

I refer you to this case and the countless others before and after it.

Is it time that we have a international body to deal with requests by govts of the world and provide guidelines to intenrational organizations dealing with requests.  while i want my privacy protected i tend to like to stay on the right side of the law and while i admire googles tact of not wanting to hand over the data i do believe that they should.

the question though they struggle with is who's law should they be following brazzilian or USA where the data is held.

what are your thoughtd on international data keepers, who's laws should they follow, the law of a country the person is from or the law of the country the data is held?

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

In response to your last question, I think they should follow the laws of the country in which their datacenter is located. It'd be too much of a hassel trying to follow the laws of every user's country.

• User profile image
    Jaz

hence why we should start forming an international body

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Who would enforce the laws of the international body? What happens if a country doesnt like what the International Body says and rejects their ideas? What if a country already has better laws in place then those created by the Body?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Of course, "the law of the country the data is held".

* would it be another useless bureaucratic layer foisting itself between "legitimate" parties (those govt's involved)?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.