Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 RC1 Odd Behavior

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

So, since last night, my Internet Explorer (RC1, 7.0.5700.6) has been behaving very strangely.  When I first open IE, the menu bar appears, then disappears after a moment.  This is fine and shouldn't cause any problem.  However, if I give the focus to the address bar or search box, the menu bar starts flickering on and off in an endless loop (actually, it does stop eventually) as though someone were repeatedly pressing Alt to switch on & off the menu bar.  The only way to get it to stop is to take the focus away from IE by clicking the taskbar or another window.  Here's what I've already gone through to troubleshoot:

(1) Safe mode:  behavior still there
    (2) Removed Sven's Find as You Type (the only toolbar or BHO I've installed recently):  issue remains there
    (3) Restarted computer:  behavior goes away for a while, but if I put the computer into standby, the issue reappears most of the time (but not every time, I got through most of the day today w/o any trouble, for example)
    (4) Reset IE settings:  problem remains

My next step will be to reinsall IE, but before I do that, I would like to ask if anyone else has had this issue?  I tried looking it up in Connect, but when I search for "Menu bar", Connect gives me an error, so I don't know if this is already a reported bug or not.  I can give you a video if you want, but the effect may be hard to make out, since it's pretty fast.

P.S.:  no, my Alt key is NOT stuck.  I see this behavior in no other programs.

[edit] Found the relevant Connect bug reports (finally):

66395 (closed), 84266 (closed), 158546 (active), 155783 (closed), 170331 (active)

• User profile image
    tonyschr

CannotResolveSymbol -- weird. Based on the Connect bugs it sounds like this isn't an isolated incident, but it was not a known issue to the dev team.

You mention that this just started happening. Is there anything else on the machine that has recently changed, such as (for example) a new mouse driver? I'm a developer who works on this part of IE and it sounds like something might be sending IE a window message at an unexpected time, causing it to get into a bad state.

I'll start investigating, but any additional information you provide will be helpful. If you can export the contents of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser" and send it to tonyschr (-at-) microsoft.com, it may help us diagnose the root cause.

(Please zip it up or rename as .txt, or our filters may block it.)

Thanks.

• User profile image
    Iain Norman

I had the same problem in RC1 still getting the same problem in the release version.

Whenever I click on a tab to change page the menu bar flicks on and then off or just flicks on and stays. Sometimes it even goes into a mental loop and flicks on and off until I interact with it or press ALT.

Cheers

I

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Iain Norman wrote:
    I had the same problem in RC1 still getting the same problem in the release version.

Whenever I click on a tab to change page the menu bar flicks on and then off or just flicks on and stays. Sometimes it even goes into a mental loop and flicks on and off until I interact with it or press ALT.

Cheers

I

From the IE release notes:  (don't ask me how he managed to find this)

Microsoft Office Handwriting Recognition Service--If you have installed the optional Handwriting Recognition Service you might encounter the following issues in Internet Explorer 7 (on XPSP2 only). Please note that this service is not installed by default when Microsoft Office is installed. This release note does not pertain to the Tablet PC’s handwriting-input feature.

• When switching tabs in Internet Explorer 7, the menus might become activated or quickly expand and collapse (this is a similar experience to when a user presses the ALT key repeatedly).
    • When you click on a tab, the menus become activated and the tab itself is not selected.

To work around this problem, disable the On-Screen Keyboard component of the Handwriting Recognition Service:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Regional and Language Options.
    3. Click the Languages tab.
    4. Click the Details button.
    5. Under Handwriting Recognition select On-Screen Standard Keyboard.
    6. Click Remove.
    7. Under Handwriting Recognition select On-Screen Symbol Keyboard.
    8. Click Remove.
    9. Click OK twice to save and exit changes.
    10. Restart Internet Explorer 7.

• User profile image
    greg.bakker

Great!  Thanks for posting the fix.  I had that same Menu Bar flickering issue.  That fixed it.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

greg.bakker wrote:
    Great!  Thanks for posting the fix.  I had that same Menu Bar flickering issue.  That fixed it.

I was suprised they found the fix, considering how little information I had to give and how unrelated the cause seems.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.