Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MAPI32.DLL ... Help?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steve411

---------------------------
    Microsoft Office Outlook
    Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook.
    OK  

Anyone else get this and is there a fix for it? ... Im sick and tired of using Mozilla Thunderbird .. it has nothing I need!

- Steve

• User profile image
    irascian

The message is very clear - why do you need help? The version of a DLL Outlook needs is "broken" - either because it's a version that isn't compatible with Outlook or because it's missing or been overwritten.

So you need to install the version of the dll that Outlook expects to find and needs.

As the message says probably the best way to do this is to reinstall Outlook.

A quick search on "MAPI32.dll" on Google showed the following Knowledgebase article on the problem as the first hit: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=166757

• User profile image
    Steve411

irascian wrote:
    The message is very clear - why do you need help? The version of a DLL Outlook needs is "broken" - either because it's a version that isn't compatible with Outlook or because it's missing or been overwritten.

So you need to install the version of the dll that Outlook expects to find and needs.

As the message says probably the best way to do this is to reinstall Outlook.

A quick search on "MAPI32.dll" on Google showed the following Knowledgebase article on the problem as the first hit: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=166757

You don't think I tried that already? ... re-installing does not work. Compatibility mode fix does not work either ... this happened after I removed the Office 07' Beta.

• User profile image
    irascian

Steve411 wrote:

You don't think I tried that already? 

Well to be honest, based on some of the threads you've posted in the past, I've learnt not to assume anything when it comes to your posts complaining that something doesn't work. My bad!

Steve411 wrote:

Compatibility mode fix does not work either ... this happened after I removed the Office 07' Beta.

Well you know what they say about beta's!

My memory isn't great at the best of times but I seem to remember a LOT of warnings about Office 2007 not being compatible with Outlook and screwing it up right around the time the beta was first released. It was covered in the readme for Office 2007 as I recall.

Personally I'd be prepared to do a complete reinstall of the OS - that's the whole thing about beta's. But before going anywhere near that I'd do a search for any MAPI32.dll files left lying around from Office 2007 and rename them so that there isn't one anywhere and THEN install Outlook which should as a matter of course install its own version when it doesn't find a newer version available.

• User profile image
    niolonra

Ouch!

irascian I have the same problem.  I reinstalled, I ran fixmapi, i renamed the old ones and reinstalled... no luck for me either..
    Rich

EDIT
    irascian --
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=22939&st=0&gopid=259079&

has a thread about this same problem.  The error message actually is *not* clear, as this solution indicates the problem is *not* in the MSMAPI file at all, but in the MSMAPI32 file.  I copied it from my desktop, booted my laptop into DOS, deleted the MSMAPI32.DLL file, and copied this new one into its place.  Outlook booted up without a problem.

Even when Office 2007 is out of Beta (and that will be a debatable line in the sand), I won't be installing it.  I have never found a new version of software more frustrating to use.  Instead of clicking View and having 15 options listed neatly in a column, I now have a horizontal ribbon of five or six boxes each with three to six options of varying sizes to choose from.  I couldn't figure out at all how to do some things that used to be easy, and I think Outlook has some options removed from the menu altogether.  I bought another copy of Office 2003...

Good luck
    Richard

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.