Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why do some applications enter ugly mode on Vista? Also Other Stuff :)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    BenZillaThe​Second

With the chief culprit being Office 2007 Expressionless On XP it looks really nice but under Vista it turns into a dark grey mess. How do I set it to that nice blue color again?

Also a couple of other questions - how do I get to the equivalent of "Application Data" in Vista? I need to reimport all my firefox settings.

• User profile image
    BenZillaThe​Second

Ok I just found out how to change the color in office Smiley But still the topmost title bar is near black.

Also is anybody having troubles connecting to live messenger? It gives me firewall  and port errors even though these are the same settings I used in XP.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

BenZillaTheSecond wrote:
    Ok I just found out how to change the color in office But still the topmost title bar is near black.

Also is anybody having troubles connecting to live messenger? It gives me firewall  and port errors even though these are the same settings I used in XP.

THe black bar on maximized windows is by design.

Apparently when people maximize their windows, it mean they don't care about what's behind them, so glass gets turned off.

I don't pretend to understand it, that's why I'm not a ux designer.

• User profile image
    jamie

..its depressing looking.  office - especially outlook in grey looks ridiculous in vista.  same for blue and IE - please no black  (this is in aero only*)

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

I really hope there is at least an option to disable the title bar/task bar from turning solid black when a window is maximized.  Yeesh it's ugly.

• User profile image
    jamie

i find it somewhat humorous that it's Windows - and its coming along great - but the actual windows all look ugly.. in aero blurry - or windows bland basic - luna removed - only other option is classic...

i just think it's funny that windows needs some window dressing Smiley

• User profile image
    apoc

The title bar turns black for the same reason the taskbar is black, to concentrate the user's attention on the maximized app, wich is supposed to have a different color than black and therefore stand out of the rest of the UI.

That's what i've seen on the Aero Team videos, and it makes sense to me. Unfortunately most people think the Aero Interface was created having in mind only 'prettyness' like Apple's Aqua.

• User profile image
    jamie

i just find it.. weird.. to have an app decide to change its titlebar color when maximizing

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

LarryOsterman wrote:
    I don't pretend to understand it, that's why I'm not a ux designer.
    If I send you a picture of a checkbox with the words 'Shut off the black in titlebars and the taskbar', will you at least take it over to the Vista UX team? What if I give you $5 bucks to do it?
    Big Smile

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Jason Cox wrote:

LarryOsterman wrote: I don't pretend to understand it, that's why I'm not a ux designer.
    If I send you a picture of a checkbox with the words 'Shut off the black in titlebars and the taskbar', will you at least take it over to the Vista UX team? What if I give you $5 bucks to do it?

I'd do it for $15!

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

BenZillaTheSecond wrote:

Also a couple of other questions - how do I get to the equivalent of "Application Data" in Vista? I need to reimport all my firefox settings.

cd %appdata%

• User profile image
    The J

I don't mind that the titlebar becomes solid.  I just would rather not have it be black.  Why not silver or something?  Better yet, it could be the window color you picked in the Personalization options.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

apoc wrote:
    The title bar turns black for the same reason the taskbar is black, to concentrate the user's attention on the maximized app, wich is supposed to have a different color than black and therefore stand out of the rest of the UI.

And if your monitors bezel is gray?  White?  Silver?
    apoc wrote:

That's what i've seen on the Aero Team videos, and it makes sense to me. Unfortunately most people think the Aero Interface was created having in mind only 'prettyness' like Apple's Aqua.

If you think Aqua is "only" prettyness, then I'm wondering how long you've used it. 

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

DCMonkey wrote:

BenZillaTheSecond wrote:

cd %appdata%

Or you can type "%appdata%" in the start menu search bar and press enter. Smiley

Note that this will open the roaming appdata (the equivalent of application settings on XP). If you need local appdata (the equivalent of Local Settings\Application Data in XP), use %localappdata% (or just go there from the roaming folder, it's not hard to find).

• User profile image
    BenZillaThe​Second

Anybody have any ideas about the live messenger question? It seems that the new protection scheme is blocking UNPNP

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.