Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

help needed: FIXED - ignore (thanks c9!)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

i foolishly tried this - now booting into safe mode or normal just shows the version number bottom right - NO UI no nothing. - even cntrl/alt/del does nothing

is there a way to reverse it?  HELP! do not want to re-install - everything was perfect!

From Longhorn (destroy windows) blogs:

Enable Aurora boot screen

If you are tired of the default boot screen in Windows Vista, there is a better looking one hidden away, and it looks like the “Aurora” that everyone has been raving about since Longhorn was in its alpha days.

To enable the “aurora” boot screen:

1. Press the Windows Key + R combination on your keyboard to display the Run dialog.
    2. Type “MSCONFIG.EXE” (without the quotes).
    3. If User Account Control prompts you to allow the action, click on “Continue”.
    4. In the “System Configuration” window, click on the “Boot” tab.
    5. Select your Windows Vista installation and under “Boot options”, check “No GUI boot”.
    6. Press OK.
    7. In the dialog that appears, check “Don’t show this message again”, and then click on “Restart”.
    8. Your computer will now reboot, and you will see the “aurora” boot screen with text that says “Starting Windows Vista”.

*posted from server...

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Have you tapped F8 or whichever key to get to the Diagnostics/Recovery tools?

At the Vista boot loader, there should be an option to get to such tools. 

Though, that might only work in a dual boot configuration. Expressionless

• User profile image
    jamie

tried that - tried putting disc in - recovery - new start up recovery nothing

if i can boot from a floppy (not easy now cause of ntfs - and if there was a way to run msconfig - and say boot UI -=on - is that what i need? is that imposible? am i wasting 2 days of installing for one wrong click?

arg Sad

* i can get to a command prompt using repair - but it is X:\ drive (fake)  i cant believe i did this to see some CURTAINS

curtains is right.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    jamie

safe mode with command prompt shows nothing

all guis system wide disabled

boot in as normal to safe mode or normal mode - but with no UI - no task man, no anything

* i really do think i need a floppy boot script - like start the system - see the c drive - run msconfig - no gui boot = off! 

or something?

windows team?

*it would save me 2 days should above be possible as script/floppy

• User profile image
    jamie

even is it is a matter of getting the original unaltered vista file that controls this - and i can pop it on floppy and load it to c (not sure i can get to c though)

* i keep seeing robert's richy cunningham face... grrr
    (sorry ..mad.. at my own stupidity)

• User profile image
    jamie

but i cant get there..

is there no :

- even with no GUI Cntrl + _  = start task man - or start explorer.exe?

there is no UI - dos..win..nothing...  just build number

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

BobTurbo wrote:
    I would say it is just a /nogui switch in boot.ini that you will need to change.

All of the ntfs dos boot disks I can find are programs you have to pay for.....

Can't those Ubuntu Live CDs do that? Weren't you saying you wanted to try Ubuntu.. Smiley

Vista doesn't use boot.ini anymore, it has a different boot loader, so that won't work.

Can you get into bcdedit from the DVD while booting? Don't actually have Vista on this machine ATM so I can't test it but you should be able to edit bcdedit from the DVD I would think.

• User profile image
    jamie

cmon - i was all happy and possitive .. not yelling Wink

vista was rockin the house - and now im locked out

someone - windows team - please - there must be a way to say - gui boot =on

please...

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    jamie

..not sure what bcdedit is.. or how to get to it..

i know safe mode with command prompt - shows no command prompt

i guess no gui really means NO gui
    * but the entire system is there - its done - it runs perfect - better than any before it on this machine

there must be a windows guru that knows how to say -

<<load - msconfig / default = boot gui = off / ON  or whatever...

edit - or i sure hope there is

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

bcdedit is the command line utility that modifies the boot loader. If you can get to the Vista equivalent of the recovery console from the DVD, bcdedit should allow you to fix the problem.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    jamie

i cant.  ALL GUIs disabled.

plus - it seems - when launching recovery - with its list - it says unknown drive.  the C is NTFS - is D:/ fat32 making it unkown again?

anyway - im still locked out - ive tried all recovery options

just need to say msconfig / gui boot = on

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    jamie

yes

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.