Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Harddrive and hardware

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Chadk

Im thinking about buying this machine:
    *Pentium D - 945, 3.4 GHz - 2x2mb cache - 800mhz
    *Intel Sorrento motherboard with i945G chipset
    *1 GB DDR2 RAM (667 MHz) in Dual Channel Mode
    * 2* Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATAII. Allows me to put 4 more harddrives into the beast 
    * DVD-Drive

This case.

What do you think about this beast? Its gonna be a file server!

Yet im not sure if i should go for those harddrives(The most important thing in this box). I need a good and reliable set of discs. What would you go for?

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

No way you require that much CPU.  I would also go for RAID5 at least.

Good setup for file server would be 4x 250Gb drivers + 1x 250 Hot Swap.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Oh yeah, I would go for Westen Digital drives.... £50.51 at the moment

• User profile image
    TimP

Yeah, a Pentium III with 256MB or 384MB RAM, some good hard drives and a decent network card would probably handle most file serving needs.

• User profile image
    Angus

Get a good network card, and get several small, high speed hard-drives; this will allow for fast data access.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    TimP

Angus wrote:
    get several small, high speed hard-drives; this will allow for fast data access.

Angus Higgins

If the platters are the same dimensional size and everything else is equal, the higher density of the larger hard drive (storage wise) would make it faster, correct?

• User profile image
    Angus

TimP wrote:

Angus wrote:get several small, high speed hard-drives; this will allow for fast data access.

Angus Higgins

If the platters are the same dimensional size and everything else is equal, the higher density of the larger hard drive (storage wise) would make it faster, correct?

Yes, I meant smaller hard-drives dimensionally; I suppose I should have read it back as in context it sounds like I meant the data capacity. Sorry, my mistake.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

The higher capacity drives require the heads to be more accurate in their positioning, hence can sometimes be slower in seek time than the smaller (capacity) drives.

My only server at home these days is about the same spec as above but has 4Gb of ram.  Quite happly runs 4 VMs which are the real servers, the host does nothing but file sharing, makes testing stuff out so much easier.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.