Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Problems parsing the c9 video xml doc

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    I decided to play around with xml parsing this week, and I chose the c9 video feed as my source file. As I'm going through, it's giving some weird results (as it did months ago).

    Most of the time, it works properly...but at random times (with no changes to my code) it renders the Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:43:26 GMT entry as the latest... Has anybody else noticed this problem?

    ---

    I see what the problem is...I'm using http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?userid=46&watched=true">http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?userid=46&watched=true as my source, but if the compiler drops the &watched value, and only loads http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?userid=46, then it gives me the same results in a browser...

    If there an xml source file that doesn't use address-line variables in it that I can access?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Maybe you should try parsing the techoff feed.

    Oh, and learn about URL Encoding. Although I would have though that was pretty much the same under PHP

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    blowdart wrote:
    Maybe you should try parsing the techoff feed.

    Oh, and learn about URL Encoding. Although I would have though that was pretty much the same under PHP


    Why parse techoff? It too handles its results based upon the GET values of the address bar. I've used urlencoding alot in PHP, but not too sure why you mentioned that? Smiley

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    
    blowdart wrote:Maybe you should try parsing the techoff feed.

    Oh, and learn about URL Encoding. Although I would have though that was pretty much the same under PHP


    Why parse techoff? It too handles its results based upon the GET values of the address bar. I've used urlencoding alot in PHP, but not too sure why you mentioned that?


    Why technoff? Because people keep pointing out its where your desperate "please help me" threads should be.

    And you may have used it, but you obviously cargo culted and didn't understand it, as it would explain why the second parameter isn't being passed.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Alright dude, do me a favor and stop responding to my threads. You're becoming extremely annoying. If you would like to discuss xml documents in techoff, then go and play in techoff. This post isn't overly technical and doesn't require your input - especially if all you have to provide is infant-like whining.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    blowdart,

    I was able to count 1 (one) thread started in techoff, out of your 152 threads total (151 in the Coffeehouse). You willing to go on record and say that all of your technical threads are in the correct forum?

    I took the liberty of finding some of your misplaced threads - go ahead and start by correcting these if you sincerely wish to push your mouth around about me misposting threads:

    1. grrr, damn ie 7 : select/option text align
    2. VS 2005 : Add New Item
    3. Update your asp.net 2.0 installations
    4. grrr is the IE feedback messed up?
    5. GLScube : Winfs for linux?
    6. Office 2007 search

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    I was able to count 1 (one) thread started in techoff, out of your 152 threads total (151 in the Coffeehouse).


    Maybe he doesn't need any help? TechOff is probably more of a 'help me with my technical problem' forum, whilst this one is more of a 'Check out this weird behaviour.'

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Rossj wrote:
    
    jsampsonPC wrote:I was able to count 1 (one) thread started in techoff, out of your 152 threads total (151 in the Coffeehouse).


    Maybe he doesn't need any help? TechOff is probably more of a 'help me with my technical problem' forum, whilst this one is more of a 'Check out this weird behaviour.'


    You should read his posts then...you'll see that he is asking for help in one form or another in some of his threads. Regardless, I don't care where he posts - techoff gets very little attention, unlike the Coffeehouse. I'm only pissed because he keeps whining over my threads. I've been generous enough to post in the techoff too...but, as I suspected, techoff threads get much less attention and aren't exactly the ideal medium for quick answers.

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    but, as I suspected, techoff threads get much less attention and aren't exactly the ideal medium for quick answers.


    And yet qwert123 gets nearly all of his questions answered, and he is a fairly prolific questioner - if there are unanswered questions in TechOff it is probably that nobody knows the answer but plenty of people do check it.

    Maybe part of the problem is that sometimes you ask questions that are not .Net dependant and people assume that anyone who has done 5 years of PHP should know about Url encoding, the DOM etc? I dunno.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Perhaps people should stop assuming things? I have years of PHP behind me, yes...but If I ask a question about the DOM - then perhaps that means regardless what I have done/know, I still need help. The same goes for anybody!

    blowdart asked a question about how to get proper aligning of text within an option tag in HTML...should I just assume that he's an idiot and not attempt to help him out? I mean, afterall...don't we all know html? Wrong, I should help if I can...regardless how smart he is - because he brought a question to the table.

  • User profile image
    fdisk

    Rossj wrote:
    Maybe he doesn't need any help? TechOff is probably more of a 'help me with my technical problem' forum, whilst this one is more of a 'Check out this weird behaviour.'
    Wow, are you arrogant. It's pretty obvious that you don't know that much about tech, because if your abilities are limited to Apple and .Net questions, you have a loooooong ways to go. Keep studying!

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    fdisk wrote:
    
    Rossj wrote:Maybe he doesn't need any help? TechOff is probably more of a 'help me with my technical problem' forum, whilst this one is more of a 'Check out this weird behaviour.'
    Wow, are you arrogant. It's pretty obvious that you don't know that much about tech, because if your abilities are limited to Apple and .Net questions, you have a loooooong ways to go. Keep studying!


    To whom are your comments directed?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.