Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

GUID's and javascript

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    tomtech999

Hey there!

Im using registry format guids in my database as primary keys. My website uses these values to assign id's to html objects. However when i wana use javascript to interact with the html objects it will not work. If i use a number id like "123" my functions run fine but using a guid, example

c119c647-c825-4f1b-8eb6-7220cbb88a93

they wont. Is there a way to generate some kind of unique ID in .net that will work when used with javascript??

Thanks

Tom[H]

• User profile image
    blowdart

tomtech999 wrote:
    Hey there!

Im using registry format guids in my database as primary keys. My website uses these values to assign id's to html objects. However when i wana use javascript to interact with the html objects it will not work. If i use a number id like "123" my functions run fine but using a guid, example

c119c647-c825-4f1b-8eb6-7220cbb88a93

they wont. Is there a way to generate some kind of unique ID in .net that will work when used with javascript??

There's no reason why guids for HTML ids shouldn't work ... what errors do you get?

(And this was probably better posted in TechOff)

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Are you using quotes around the value?

• User profile image
    tomtech999

Oh! thanks for that i added quotes and it worked!

WHy should that guid need quotes and not 123???

• User profile image
    tomtech999

Ok every occasion i use this in javascript i get

missing ) after argument list

example use

function

function highlightRowD(itemid)
    {
        var row=document.getElementById(itemid);
        row.style.backgroundColor="#404040";
        row.style.color="white";

var links=row.getElementsByTagName("a");
        for(var i=0;i<links.length;i++)
        {
            links[i].style.color="white";
        }
        var descriptionelement=itemid+'desc';
        var description=document.getElementById(descriptionelement).style.display="block";

}

object

<tr onMouseOver='highlightRowD(c119c647-c825-4f1b-8eb6-7220cbb88a93)'>
    <td>some cell</td>
    </tr>

As i mentioned before, i try this with the id of the row as "123" and
    it works fine

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Because 123 is a valid numeric constant, and c119c647-c825-4f1b-8eb6-7220cbb88a93 isn't. If you put quotes around it, JavaScript will treat it as a string.

• User profile image
    zhuo

Speaking of GUID, what do you all use to generate GUIDs?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

zhuo wrote:

This might be a stupid question, but why exactly does one need GUIDs and why are they so special that people sell and buy them on ebay?

Couldn't just incrementing an int in a db be fine for a primary key?

• User profile image
    blowdart

mVPstar wrote:

This might be a stupid question, but why exactly does one need GUIDs and why are they so special that people sell and buy them on ebay?

Well it depends what you are using it for.

If, for example, you wanted a unique ID that wasn't easily guessed, then an incrementing integer is not suitable. Or an ID suitable for replication control.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

mVPstar wrote:

zhuo wrote: Speaking of GUID, what do you all use to generate GUIDs?

GUIDs, as the name implies, are (very likely to be) globally unique. In a DB table, most of the time you only need to be unique within that one table so an autoincremented value will do just fine. If you need to have a key value that's unique beyond the confines of the table you need a GUID (Blowdart's given some good reasons too).

GUIDs main usage is in COM. If I build a COM component, it needs to have a unique identifier that will be unique no matter what computer my component is used on. GUIDs do that nicely.

The best way to generate GUIDs on Windows is by using the CoCreateGuid API function or using a tool that uses that function, such as guidgen.exe which comes with the Platform SDK and Visual Studio.

People who sell GUIDs on eBay are just stupid (though not as stupid as people who would buy them Tongue Out )

• User profile image
    zhuo

mVPstar wrote:

zhuo wrote: Speaking of GUID, what do you all use to generate GUIDs?

GUID have many different applications, apart from the ones already mentioned.

A practical situation where you would need a GUID in a database driven application is when you are build an application with future proofing in mind.

E.g. if you build an application to run within a single office to start with and business seems to be going well and you've decided to open up a few other offices around the country. As the business grow, you've found the need to do reporting across the enterprise or wishes to serve information from a single source for various reasons, so you've decided that you need to consolidate all these information and , having a GUID as unique identifier rather than autoincrement columns allow you to easily consolidate all these information without hell break loose. Well, it will allow you to do it with minimal fuss without worrying about PK conflicts etc.

James Zhuo
    Application Development Consultant

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Ah, thanks guys.

• User profile image
    tomtech999

Thanks for the help guys, glad i created a nice discussion!Tongue Out

In this example i am using guids to keep items on my site completely separate as these items will be used in other places other than the database, for example stored in files, or sent as print jobs. Using GUIDS just means that whatever extra modules I add to my app I will never get conflicting primary keys or file names etc

Thanks again

Tom

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

zhuo wrote:

in boxely...

var guid = appUtils.generateGUID();
    if (guid)
        {
         shell.print(guid);
        }

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Note the XHTML 1.0 spec recommends only using id values that match the regex:
       [A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9:_.-]*
    In particular, any id= attribute that begins with a number (5/8 of all GUIDs) is iffy.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

There's a SqlDbType in .NET 2.0 and SQL 2005(I think that's the combo) SqlDbType.UniqueIdentifier. It lets you do GUIDs instead of an int for primary keys and stuff.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Matthew van Eerde wrote:

Note the XHTML 1.0 spec recommends only using id values that match the regex:
       [A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9:_.-]*
    In particular, any id= attribute that begins with a number (5/8 of all GUIDs) is iffy.

A specification that "recommends". I don't like the sound of that Smiley

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Harlequin wrote:
    A specification that "recommends". I don't like the sound of that

Well, it recommends for backcompat.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.