Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Will you upgrade?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Will you be upgrading to Windows Vista?  Will you look for alternatives to the Windows OS?  Will you stick with Windows XP?  Why will you or why wont you be upgrading to Windows Vista?

• User profile image
    jamie

yes. no. no. speed. Smiley

• User profile image
    matt0210

Of course I will upgrade. I will be forced to when I buy my next PC next year. I don't have much of a choice I want to run Windows it will have to be Vista...

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I intend to upgrade but will probably wait for the SP1 time frame, allows the early adopters to work out the bugs.   Unless of course Windows Vista is flawless upon RTM.

• User profile image
    cain

I currently use XP, Vista, Ubuntu, Fedora, OS X and 2003 Server.  I'll probably start using Vista as the primary OS on one of my computers now that RC1 is here.  Once it is released it will certainly be my primary os on both my desktop and laptop.  I don't know yet weather or not I'll be keeping an XP partition around on the desktop, but hopefully not.

As for why I'll be upgrading - there are many reasons.  Improved security, improved performance, integrated search (I rarely delete anything and have nearly a TB of hard drive space in just one of my computers, so I really like this one Smiley), lots and lots of other great new features that I've been waiting for for years.

• User profile image
    Rowan

If the supposed speed improvements turn out to be true then I will probably upgrade eventually, however a fresh install typically runs faster anyway. I'd like to see how it performs after a year of heavy use, but I will still keep XP Pro for testing IE6/7 on Virtual PC.

• User profile image
    geekling

If it comes with the next computer I buy; no; I'll use it until I get a free copy of Windows Vista; too much money.

• User profile image
    Zeus

No ... I will not upgrade, unless I am buying a new computer with Vista pre-installed. I just don't see the point right now. According to the articles I am reading, Vista is nowhere near completion, and I am not going to switch my stable XP to an unstable Vista.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

yes

no

for some time

if i have have enought power to run vista why not upgrade to vista? what other choise do i have?

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Zeus wrote:
    No ... I will not upgrade, unless I am buying a new computer with Vista pre-installed. I just don't see the point right now. According to the articles I am reading, Vista is nowhere near completion, and I am not going to switch my stable XP to an unstable Vista.

Same for me. I don't see a point in paying £300 to get Vista when I don't actually need it.  I'll probably just wait for when I upgrade my laptop.

Since part of out dekstop standard recently set at work is to stay on XP SP2 for at least 2 years then evaluate Vista (and only if Vista SP1 exists) based on the hardware costs and support lifetime of XP. 

• User profile image
    Erisan

rjdohnert wrote:
    Will you be upgrading to Windows Vista?  Will you look for alternatives to the Windows OS?  Will you stick with Windows XP?  Why will you or why wont you be upgrading to Windows Vista?

I will not. Althought Vista RC1 feels pretty ok, it seems that it doesn't give me any extra value or reason to be used over Fedora.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

My next purchases will be a macbook pro and a powerful workstation machine, so ill probably have Vista running on that, saying that though I would still be running XP as well for development until such time as majority of businesses are running Vista.

• User profile image
    nbradshaw

My 2p's worth....

upgrade - No:O
    switch - No:O
    stay with Xp - Yes:D
    Why Not - No compelling reason too!Perplexed, it's a bit like the 'Emporers New Clothes', alot of  noise and parading around but actually nothing we haven't seen or heard before!Perplexed.

As for Office 2007 well that's in a totally different league (except Outlook 2007). IMHO:P

• User profile image
    megame

Will I upgrade to Vista: YES
    Will I look for alternatives to Windows OS: Yes - I love a good laugh
    Will I stick with XP: Why? Oh, yes- testing
    Why? Faster .NET 3.0, UAC, Speed, Developement Platform.

• User profile image
    Rossj

rjdohnert wrote:

Will you be upgrading to Windows Vista?

No

rjdohnert wrote:

Will you look for alternatives to the Windows OS?

Yes

rjdohnert wrote:
    Will you stick with Windows XP?

No.

rjdohnert wrote:

Why will you or why wont you be upgrading to Windows Vista?

Considering a full-time platform switch.

• User profile image
    zhuo

rjdohnert wrote:

Yes

rjdohnert wrote:

Yes

rjdohnert wrote:

Don't know

rjdohnert wrote:

I will upgrade to Vista the same reason I would find alternatives to the Windows OS.

• User profile image
    An_Angel

No plans to
    Nope
    Yes
    I have no reason to upgrade a perfectly good tablet pc with an os that requires more memory and processing power than the current version.  I don't see why an operating system needs to be bigger, more CPU, memory and power hungry than the previous version.  Whatever happened to optimisation?

The only way I would upgrade to Vista is if someone paid for my next laptop for me and for the OS etc.  No way would I do it otherwise.  I don't see where I would gain benefits from it as it stands at the moment. 

• User profile image
    harumscarum

rjdohnert wrote:

hell yeah 

rjdohnert wrote:

hell no

rjdohnert wrote:

Not by choice.

rjdohnert wrote:

Gives me a chance to upgrade my home machine and because it is new it has to be good.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.