Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Contacts, calendar, and e-mail - why can't they be connected?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jmacdonagh

So I've just installed RC1 of Vista and I'm at a crossroads. Where do I keep my personal information? I have the option of keeping it in Outlook (2007), Windows, or Windows Live Mail. They're all Microsoft products, but none of them work together.

1. Contacts. Outlook has it's address book, Vista has it's Contacts folder which holds VCards, and Windows Live Mail has it's own area for contacts. Messenger integrates with Windows Live Mail's contact set.

2. Calendar. Outlook has it's own one, Windows Calendar allows me to create them, and Windows Live Mail has it's own calendar (which you can't sync anymore... yay).

3. E-mail. Luckily I can use IMAP for most of my e-mail accounts. Except Windows Live Mail. I can either hit the website or I can do it in outlook. Windows Mail does not support HTTP e-mail accounts.

Anyway, here's my rant. I'm using 3 Microsoft products / technologies. Why aren't they helping me keep everything in sync?

• User profile image
    Rossj

jmacdonagh wrote:
    So I've just installed RC1 of Vista and I'm at a crossroads. Where do I keep my personal information? I have the option of keeping it in Outlook (2007), Windows, or Windows Live Mail. They're all Microsoft products, but none of them work together.

Sure they do  they all use WinF.. oh. Sorry.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jmacdonagh wrote:

1. Contacts. Outlook has it's address book, Vista has it's Contacts folder which holds VCards, and Windows Live Mail has it's own area for contacts. Messenger integrates with Windows Live Mail's contact set.

2. Calendar. Outlook has it's own one, Windows Calendar allows me to create them, and Windows Live Mail has it's own calendar (which you can't sync anymore... yay).

3. E-mail. Luckily I can use IMAP for most of my e-mail accounts. Except Windows Live Mail. I can either hit the website or I can do it in outlook. Windows Mail does not support HTTP e-mail accounts.

Anyway, here's my rant. I'm using 3 Microsoft products / technologies. Why aren't they helping me keep everything in sync?

I totally feel your pain.

You know what you could use to make it all work together? Ever heard of something called Hailstorm? Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Rossj wrote:

jmacdonagh wrote: So I've just installed RC1 of Vista and I'm at a crossroads. Where do I keep my personal information? I have the option of keeping it in Outlook (2007), Windows, or Windows Live Mail. They're all Microsoft products, but none of them work together.

Sure they do  they all use WinF.. oh. Sorry.

<rimshot/>

Big Smile

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Too many teams not talking to each other...Perplexed

• User profile image
    PaoloM

LaBomba wrote:
    Too many teams not talking to each other...

That's one thing...

Hailstorm was an awesome solution to these kind of problems. Too bad it got killed by ignorance.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Paolo, do you look alot like Billy Bob Thornton, or is that an actual picture of him in your avatar? Smiley Secondly, what team do you work on at MS?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Paolo, do you look alot like Billy Bob Thornton, or is that an actual picture of him in your avatar? Smiley

That is, indeed, me Wink
    jsampsonPC wrote:
    Secondly, what team do you work on at MS?

Windows Desktop Search.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Crazy...has anybody ever told you that you resembled Billy Bob Thornton? Or is this just a picture that happened to catch you at your rare thornton-angle? Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Crazy...has anybody ever told you that you resembled Billy Bob Thornton? Or is this just a picture that happened to catch you at your rare thornton-angle? Smiley

Probably just the angle...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

It can't be that bad. Afterall, he did hook up with Angelina Jolie, did he not? Smiley

• User profile image
    LaBomba

PaoloM wrote:

LaBomba wrote: Too many teams not talking to each other...

That's one thing...

Hailstorm was an awesome solution to these kind of problems. Too bad it got killed by ignorance.

Don't worry Google's on it now...Wink

for those out there who don't recall...Hailstorm was the brainchild of one Mark Lucovsky, yeah same guy when Ballmer found out he was leaving for Google freaked out and tossed a couple chairs around.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.