Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

iTunes updated to look more like... WMP?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jmacdonagh

Just downloaded iTunes 7.

I love the ability to have this new view:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/jmacdonagh/iWMP11.jpg

• User profile image
    Rossj

I notice they have put in parental controls as well - nice.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Dupe.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    I notice they have put in parental controls as well - nice.

Don't want your daughter listening to Eminem right now, eh? Wink

They'll probably be trivial to work-around anyway.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Okay, this is now my silencer example for when Apple says Microsoft is copying Apple as a reason why Microsoft is bad.

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

Yeah, actually I'm starting to like it.

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Some of the stuff labelled "Explicit" on iTunes is just insane... Even songs without one f' word in... Or others with sexual references SO vague I myself don't even notice them without looking the song up.

The new movie service on iTunes is very interesting, 1.5 GB movies, equal price to wallmart... The only downside is you don't get the psychical DVD so are limited to a PC or iPod.

I plan on continuing to buy DVDs, but it beats the hell out of Pay-Per-View (who's pull hasn't been the price but the convenience).

Plus their current selection is great, The Rock, Gone in 60 Seconds, Pirates of the Carribian... And others...

Without trying to ask for everything, I wish they could extend their TV selection, I would like to see Smallville, and many other TV favourites on it.

PS - The new "Games for iPod" thing is not a service I plan on ever using.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Rossj wrote:
    I am still waiting for all my album art to download

Does iTunes 7 download album art automatically?  I mean for music that is already ripped but doesn't have album art.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jmacdonagh wrote:

Yeah, actually I'm starting to like it.

What do you think of the Coverflow view when viewing albums? It appears to be exactly the same as the CoverFlow app for the Mac bought from steelskies.com.  I am still waiting for all my album art to download Sad

• User profile image
    Rossj

alwaysmc2 wrote:

Rossj wrote:I am still waiting for all my album art to download

Does iTunes 7 download album art automatically?  I mean for music that is already ripped but doesn't have album art.

Yes, but I suspect it will be slow for a couple of days whilst everyone tries to their entire collection Smiley

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Rossj wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote: 
    Rossj wrote: I am still waiting for all my album art to download

Yes, but I suspect it will be slow for a couple of days whilst everyone tries to their entire collection

It's nice to see Apple catching up with Microsoft finally. Big Smile hehe, see what I did there? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Harlequin

UnoriginalGuy wrote:
    The new movie service on iTunes is very interesting, 1.5 GB movies, equal price to wallmart... The only downside is you don't get the psychical DVD so are limited to a PC or iPod.

Equal price, this is why it's not going to do very well I think. Downloadable movies should be 50-75% less than their hard media counterparts.

Also a reason why eBooks should be cheaper than their paper counterparts, but most of the time they are not.

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Harlequin wrote:

UnoriginalGuy wrote: The new movie service on iTunes is very interesting, 1.5 GB movies, equal price to wallmart... The only downside is you don't get the psychical DVD so are limited to a PC or iPod.

Equal price, this is why it's not going to do very well I think. Downloadable movies should be 50-75% less than their hard media counterparts.

Also a reason why eBooks should be cheaper than their paper counterparts, but most of the time they are not.

True, but wallmart don't deliver Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

Harlequin wrote:
    UnoriginalGuy wrote: The new movie service on iTunes is very interesting, 1.5 GB movies, equal price to wallmart... The only downside is you don't get the psychical DVD so are limited to a PC or iPod.

True, but wallmart don't deliver

And not that quickly ...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:

UnoriginalGuy wrote:
    Harlequin wrote:

True, but wallmart don't deliver

And not that quickly ...

And Wal*Mart don't stock titles they find "objectional" either.

BTW, it's Wal*Mart (or WalMart, not WallMart, it's from Walter, not Wallter Wink )

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    Okay, this is now my silencer example for when Apple says Microsoft is copying Apple as a reason why Microsoft is bad.

True, they both copy from each other.

However, this version of iTunes is not beta - unlike WMP11.  As well, WMP11 is an incredible processor hog, even in beta2 when it's updating it's URGE catalog.  I hate it when I launch WMP11 beta to view a video and the video starts to chug while URGE is updating in the background.  That's incredibly poor, and it should have been fixed in beta 2.

The problem is that iTunes has now caught up to an attractive feature of WMP11, and it's...well, iTunes with that incredibly huge mindshare it already has.  The interface is still superior to WMP11 (IMO), and now it has the eye-candy as well. 

And now decent-quality downloadable TV shows and movies.  Really, it's sad to see MS keep getting its butt kicked in this area.

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Nitz Walsh wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote: Okay, this is now my silencer example for when Apple says Microsoft is copying Apple as a reason why Microsoft is bad.

True, they both copy from each other.

However, this version of iTunes is not beta - unlike WMP11.  As well, WMP11 is an incredible processor hog, even in beta2 when it's updating it's URGE catalog.  I hate it when I launch WMP11 beta to view a video and the video starts to chug while URGE is updating in the background.  That's incredibly poor, and it should have been fixed in beta 2.

Yes, and iTunes 7 works gracefully on a 1 GHz system LOL Expressionless

They are both badly written bloatware. I play my iTunes tracks though WinAmp and spend a minimal amount of time in the iTunes software as I can.

• User profile image
    Random Spirit

And the best bit is the shiny new icon.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.