Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Office 2007 Beta 2Technical Refresh Available Now!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    The Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh is up!

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?...

  • User profile image
    AthemeX

    YEAH! was already downloading @ 55% but thanks anyway Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Already downloaded, installing now. Smiley

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Works very well or so it seems. Some nice changes, bugs fixed, etc. Nothing really huge so far.

    One weird thing: the same .docx document, when opened in Vista is 29 pages, in XP it's 31 pages. Perplexed This happened with Beta2 and still happens with B2TR. Looks like the line height is subtly different (the document uses three fonts: Cambria, Calibri, and Consolas).

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Sven Groot wrote:

    One weird thing: the same .docx document, when opened in Vista is 29 pages, in XP it's 31 pages. This happened with Beta2 and still happens with B2TR. Looks like the line height is subtly different (the document uses three fonts: Cambria, Calibri, and Consolas).


    Different printers? Paper sizes?

  • User profile image
    fdisk

    Hey, if any folks are interested, beta testers are needed for KOffice 1.6. Details here.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    AndyC wrote:
    
    Sven Groot wrote:
    One weird thing: the same .docx document, when opened in Vista is 29 pages, in XP it's 31 pages. This happened with Beta2 and still happens with B2TR. Looks like the line height is subtly different (the document uses three fonts: Cambria, Calibri, and Consolas).


    Different printers? Paper sizes?

    No, it's inside Word. I don't need to print it to see this (although I do also see it when printing the document).

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Sven Groot wrote:
    
    No, it's inside Word. I don't need to print it to see this (although I do also see it when printing the document).


    Word lays out the page based on the default printer, which can cause this (it gave me no end of hassle when trying to finish my undergrad dissertation!)

  • User profile image
    jonne

    Oh no, I upgraded to Office 2007 from 2003 on Vista. At first, everything seemed to work. Then, Vista found 12 new updates for Office 2003 (why, because I only left Access 2003), and I restarted my computer to install them.
     
    Now, my installation is totally broke. Microsoft Office Professional Plus and Microsoft Office 2003 installers are running hot anytime I start an Office 2007 application, like they where trying to trash my hard drive, and it takes forever to open any app.

    In Outlook  I get the error "The Office open XML file Normal cannot be opened because there are problems with the content". The Inbox works, the Sent items folder is totally broke. 

    Word finds "unreadable content in Normal" etc. etc.

    Looks like have have to do a System Restore... This must be my worst installation experience ever... starting with the odd delays in Vista when trying to launch the downloaded installtion files, and ending with an unusable pile of apps.

    EDIT: Did a repair of Office 2007, and now everything works except my Outbox in Outlook (The messaging interface has returned an unknown error). But very impressed with Excel and Word!

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    AndyC wrote:
    
    Sven Groot wrote: 
    No, it's inside Word. I don't need to print it to see this (although I do also see it when printing the document).


    Word lays out the page based on the default printer, which can cause this (it gave me no end of hassle when trying to finish my undergrad dissertation!)

    On Vista the default printer is the Microsoft XPS Writer, on XP it's the CutePDF Writer. Neither has a real printer installed (it's on the same machine).

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Sven Groot wrote:
    
    On Vista the default printer is the Microsoft XPS Writer, on XP it's the CutePDF Writer. Neither has a real printer installed (it's on the same machine).


    They probably report different printable areas on the page. What happens if you install a common printer on both machines? (Even if one doesn't really exist!)

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    AndyC wrote:
    
    Sven Groot wrote: 
    On Vista the default printer is the Microsoft XPS Writer, on XP it's the CutePDF Writer. Neither has a real printer installed (it's on the same machine).


    They probably report different printable areas on the page. What happens if you install a common printer on both machines? (Even if one doesn't really exist!)

    I'll try it this weekend on my parents' machine, they have a LaserJet 5L that works in both Vista and XP.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Sven Groot wrote:
    
    I'll try it this weekend on my parents' machine, they have a LaserJet 5L that works in both Vista and XP.


    The printer doesn't need to actually exist - just use the Add Printer wizard and tell it there is a LaserJet 5L (or whatever) on LPT1:

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    AndyC wrote:
    
    Sven Groot wrote: 
    I'll try it this weekend on my parents' machine, they have a LaserJet 5L that works in both Vista and XP.


    The printer doesn't need to actually exist - just use the Add Printer wizard and tell it there is a LaserJet 5L (or whatever) on LPT1:

    I know but I can't be bothered. Wink

  • User profile image
    Tom Servo

    Which is kind of dumb, because the patch of the Office base install is larger than the beta 2 installer itself.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.