Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

rc1 - to 5 million people?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+wants+more+Vista+testers/2100-1016_3-6115744.html?tag=nefd.pop

- no dvd burning  (nero, roxio, alchohol, win dvd maker bombs)
    - no video editing (nero vision express, movie maker, premier)
    - no 3d games (quake)
    - no aero for multiple monitor users (pci cards)

...you sure you want to release this to so many people?

why not one more new build - with the virtual memory for dvd/video fixed, 3d games working and a few more drivers for aero?

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

I run Aero on multiple monitors every day, as I've pointed out to you before.  It's supported. 

• User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    Rossj

BruceMorgan wrote:

I run Aero on multiple monitors every day, as I've pointed out to you before.  It's supported. 

Maybe we could all borrow your PC?  Expressionless

Sorry couldn't resist - any time a developer says to me "It works on my PC" my reaction is normally to suggest we ship their PC to the customer Smiley

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

jamie wrote:
    http://news.com.com/Microsoft+wants+more+Vista+testers/2100-1016_3-6115744.html?tag=nefd.pop

- no 3d games (quake)

why not one more new build - with the virtual memory for dvd/video fixed, 3d games working and a few more drivers for aero?

I play Counter Strike Source all the time, been playing Half Life 2: Episode 1, and it performs even better than in my XP partition.  Not sure what you mean no dvd burning, its in their but no programs have yet to be written to take advantage of the API other than DVD Maker which comes with Vista.  If they include a Video Editing program they will be sued for unfair competition, they will most likely be offering it as a Vista Ultimate Extra you can download from the Marketplace, and btw why are you using PCI Cards?  Can we say 1995?  I use three monitors with my Vista install every single day, it is now my main PC.  While the Dual Monitor support in Vista is the same as XP which is hugely dissapointing it works great!

I'm not sure what issue you have, its been my main OS for nearly 3 weeks now (Build 5600) and other than it crashing from Driver Issues its been working great.  Once NVidia, and AMD release a more stable driver set I am sure it will be rock solid.

• User profile image
    ShahnHogan

Aero runs fine on my dual monitor setup using a crappy nVidia FX 5200 256MB PCI video card.

• User profile image
    jamie

ShahnHogan wrote:
    Aero runs fine on my dual monitor setup using a crappy nVidia FX 5200 256MB PCI video card.

i just bought the geforce nvidea fx 5500 128 pci - have tried everything under the sun - vista wont load it. ati 9250 256 pci - also purchased - no drivers

• User profile image
    jamie

do you have a motherboard with dual agp or pcie slots?

a video card with more than 2 monitor support?

how are you running 3 mon without pci?

- the "dvd maker that comes with vista" ...bombs when you try to use it (here anyway)

*also - while the only game i play is quake 3 space level - i have read many people saying many games dont work

paul thurott:
    "And as mentioned above, many games wouldn't work correctly, including DOOM 3, Quake IV, and, to a lesser extent, Far Cry (though I was able to get it working after screwing around with the video settings for a while). Unreal Tournament 2004, curiously, wouldn't even install, without any explanation at all. Weird.

• User profile image
    ShahnHogan

I have run into a bug with my new Dell at work that it won't load the Intel on-board video drivers. It says something like the drivers won't work in VGA mode when I try and get it going for three monitors. But the nVidia 5200 256MB PCI card works fine and AERO works with it great.

That stinks you can't get either of your cards working. If you are a technical tester I would imagine they will get a new build in the next few weeks, so hopefully the updates fix your issues.

• User profile image
    jamie

ShahnHogan wrote:
    I have run into a bug with my new Dell at work that it won't load the Intel on-board video drivers. It says something like the drivers won't work in VGA mode when I try and get it going for three monitors. But the nVidia 5200 256MB PCI card works fine and AERO works with it great.

That stinks you can't get either of your cards working. If you are a technical tester I would imagine they will get a new build in the next few weeks, so hopefully the updates fix your issues.

thats the error i get as well - the card is not compatible with the vga display (whatever that means )

• User profile image
    jamie

in all cases however - the ms drivers load and identify cards correctly.  but the ms drivers do not support aero. = next build hopefully they will fix this.  ...ms invented aero, and if it needs pixel shader or whatever - why cant they just write it themselves?

edit to above:  i did buy another ati (9250) - the ONLY card they have with no vista drivers

*plus i miss quake and i cannot burn a cd or dvd of any kind using windows, win dvd, nero, vision express, media player....

• User profile image
    Stephen

ShahnHogan wrote:

With my AGP 128MB FX5700LE NVidia and Dual 17" CRT Monitors DWM.EXE crashes every 10 minutes so it is 'Vista Basic' theme for me...

RC1 x86 3.06Ghz CPU 3GB Ram.

I have up until this point in time thought that my video card is crap and am going to get a AGP 7300GT next week when they hit the shelves.

This is still the best build so far in regards to dual-monitors and the amount of DWM.EXE Crash Reports sent to MSFT through the beta program over the past 3-4 months must be close to 800-900 and 47 DWM.EXE Errors sent just now for DWM.EXE

Edit: Nero 6.6 Works fine here so does the game FEAR

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Rossj wrote:

BruceMorgan wrote:

Maybe we could all borrow your PC? 

Sorry couldn't resist - any time a developer says to me "It works on my PC" my reaction is normally to suggest we ship their PC to the customer

QFT++

I constantly have to remind devs of this.

• User profile image
    figuerres

jamie wrote:

- no 3d games (quake)

Quake I - not tested yet.
    Quake II - with 3.2x point release runs just fine in all modes so far.

Half Life II - runs fine as far as I have had time to play with it.

DooM III - have to find my install CD's and try it.

FarCry -- have disks -- will be loading and testing.

Multi Mon and old video cards:  hey are they supposed to make every kind of hardware work? Aero is new stuff, for new systems. my take is that to run aero with multi-mon the pc should be using PCIx cards. thats My view anyway.

my system:  HP n7160n with a BGF / nvidia card, dual DVI out.
    I just got a new gateway 21 inch display so I have to re-boot and mess with some settings.... Ez-Tune + Vista + x64 seems to be giving me some hassles..... Sad

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Hey, I never registered for a key for Vista beta, et al.

Does the RC1 download require one?

I downloaded 5600 and am waiting for some indication or key to install in a virtual pc... my machine should handle it fine.

?

TIA

• User profile image
    Stephen

JohnAskew wrote:
    Hey, I never registered for a key for Vista beta, et al.

I downloaded 5600 and am waiting for some indication or key to install in a virtual pc... my machine should handle it fine.

?

TIA

Windows Vista RC1 is now publicly available.  This means that 32- and 64-bit downloads for all three languages (English, German, and Japanese) are live.  If you did not receive and email in the previous wave, you can now both download the ISO image and request a product key (PID).

More importantly, how do I get access to the RC1 build?  Go here.

• User profile image
    jamie

figuerres wrote:

my take is that to run aero with multi-mon the pc should be using PCIx cards. thats My view anyway.

sigh.. it IS.  (radeon x700 pro pcie)

so there's 2 monitors.  great. 

but how does the 3rd (and 4th) work (without a custom MB?)

** anyone at all who is running mult mon with either one or 2 in agp/pcie slot - and ONE other one running on PCI slot - with aero - please post your specs. I will buy it

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Stephen wrote:

JohnAskew wrote: Hey, I never registered for a key for Vista beta, et al.

?

TIA

http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista wrote:

Windows Vista RC1 is now publicly available.  This means that 32- and 64-bit downloads for all three languages (English, German, and Japanese) are live.  If you did not receive and email in the previous wave, you can now both download the ISO image and request a product key (PID).

More importantly, how do I get access to the RC1 build?  Go here.

Drats. I just need a key. I've already downloaded the bits at home and do not want to re-download it here at work just to get a key.
    Advice?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.