Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone hear any PDC 2007 Rumblings?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jack Poison

Just curious if anyone has heard anything and/or know when any announcements about the next PDC?

I'm assuming its 2007..

• User profile image
    Sabot

As there is a .Net 3 on the horizon there is bound to be a PDC.

PDC's only happen when there is a something big to shout about in development from Microsoft.

Anyway ... watch this space cos we'll know first!

But before then ... you have DDD4 !!!

http://www.developerday.co.uk/ddd/default.asp

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sabot wrote:
    But before then ... you have DDD4 !!!

http://www.developerday.co.uk/ddd/default.asp

"you get what you pay for". DDD is nice and all, but doesn't compare with the quality and breadth of PDC.

DDD's sessions compare more with those "free sample chapters" of technical books you get rather than a proper training/seminar day.

• User profile image
    irascian

Sabot wrote:
    As there is a .Net 3 on the horizon there is bound to be a PDC.

WHat makes you say that?

.Net 3 was pretty much lannounced at PDC 05 and is currently at RC1 stage which would indicate it's far more likely to get covered at a TechEd event than at a PDC event. 

• User profile image
    Harlequin

There would be a lot to have at the next PDC:
    Vista
    Office 2007
    Visual Studio 2005
    Visual Studio Orcas
    Longhorn Server
    .NET 3.0
    .NET 3.5 we know is coming
    F# maybe

The 2005 PDC showed a glimpse of these things, but lots of these things were just a glimmer in Microsoft's eye and not there would be a lot more to it.

All I know is I'll be bringing a bigger suitcase this time and I'll bring less clothes.

LET THE SCHWAG BEGIN!!!

And I'd have a TabletPC to bring to the next one so I can chat with the wife unlike the 2005 PDC. She was never online when I got to one of the computers setup there...

• User profile image
    jb43081

Harlequin wrote:
    ...And I'd have a TabletPC to bring to the next one so I can chat with the wife ...

HEY! Just remember; what happens at PDC STAYS at PDC! Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

I think that the next PDC will be 2007... With Visual Studio Orcas approaching.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Harlequin wrote:
    Vista
    Office 2007
    Visual Studio 2005
    Visual Studio Orcas
    Longhorn Server
    .NET 3.0
    F# maybe

The 2005 PDC showed a glimpse of these things, but lots of these things were just a glimmer in Microsoft's eye and not there would be a lot more to it.

All I know is I'll be bringing a bigger suitcase this time and I'll bring less clothes.

LET THE SCHWAG BEGIN!!!

And I'd have a TabletPC to bring to the next one so I can chat with the wife unlike the 2005 PDC. She was never online when I got to one of the computers setup there...

don't forget:

LINQ / DLINQ
    WCF
    WPF
    Virtual PC 2007
    Exchange
    the new App-Virtual-Remote-Desktop thing -- don't quite recall the name for it.
    IIS 7.0 -- for both Vista and LH Server
    .... and I think there are a few more ...

• User profile image
    Harlequin

jb43081 wrote:

Harlequin wrote: ...And I'd have a TabletPC to bring to the next one so I can chat with the wife ...

HEY! Just remember; what happens at PDC STAYS at PDC!

I was a good boy at the VS Live! in Las Vegas this summer, so I'm sure I'll be good during the next PDC Smiley

• User profile image
    irascian

Harlequin wrote:
    Vista
    Office 2007
    Visual Studio 2005
    Visual Studio Orcas
    Longhorn Server
    .NET 3.0
    F# maybe

But the official position has always been that PDC covers stuff that is AT LEAST six months away, with TechEd covering stuff that is about to be released or within the next six months.

Look at your list again and most of that stuff is due out in the next 3-4 months and has been generally available in beta/CTP form for a long time now.

And I can't see a PDC being hosted around just .NET 3.5 and F#!

I'll give you Longhorn Server and .NET 3.5 and perhaps Visual Studio Orcas but I'd hope there'd be a bit more than that to justify another PDC. My guess is that if there is a PDC next year it will be towards the end of the year, and not the beginning. I think there's a reason why TechEd Europe slipped five months for the first time in years - that's when most of the stuff on your list will be "at or very close to RTM". 

As for the other comment which I'm too lazy to quote: anyone who thinks WPF and WCF (both of which are baked and ready to go now) are reasons why there will be a PDC clearly hasn't been to PDC before and/or just doesn't "get" the whole raison d'etre for its existence.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

DDD's sessions compare more with those "free sample chapters" of technical books you get rather than a proper training/seminar day.

Huh geez. So much effort for this? I'm pissed off now.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

I know what you're thinking, and I agree that many of the sessions are +5 rated and informative, but some of the others just seem like sales pitches (confession: I fell asleep in the one about threading)

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

blowdart wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

I know what you're thinking, and I agree that many of the sessions are +5 rated and informative, but some of the others just seem like sales pitches (confession: I fell asleep in the one about threading)

The expressions launch was a lot worse. A bunch of design agencies singing their own praises. But yea, I know of a couple of presentations that seem like advertising.

DDD takes a lot of work, at least for me. It's easily a month of evenings spent gathering material and working into something presentable. And we don't get paid for it either; nor is it part of most of our jobs.

Maybe that's why it doesn't seem proper. People devalue that which is free, but I find that part of the charm. It's funny though, the people that complain the most seem to be expecting something like teched. They're normally the ones who don't want sessions with humour, or who aren't amused if something goes wrong, like the screen rolling back up. I got complaints about my hacking session because it didn't show you how to hack a bank web site. And it's always the same group too, those that are from offshoring companies working on site in the UK for a while. Oh well. You tend to take the 1 ratings to heart and ignore the majority of 4 and 5s.

• User profile image
    apwcodemonk​ey

blowdart wrote:

W3bbo wrote: 
    blowdart wrote: 
    W3bbo wrote: 

The expressions launch was a lot worse. A bunch of design agencies singing their own praises. But yea, I know of a couple of presentations that seem like advertising.

DDD takes a lot of work, at least for me. It's easily a month of evenings spent gathering material and working into something presentable. And we don't get paid for it either; nor is it part of most of our jobs.

Maybe that's why it doesn't seem proper. People devalue that which is free, but I find that part of the charm. It's funny though, the people that complain the most seem to be expecting something like teched. They're normally the ones who don't want sessions with humour, or who aren't amused if something goes wrong, like the screen rolling back up. I got complaints about my hacking session because it didn't show you how to hack a bank web site. And it's always the same group too, those that are from offshoring companies working on site in the UK for a while. Oh well. You tend to take the 1 ratings to heart and ignore the majority of 4 and 5s.

DDD is an invaluable event, in my opinion, especially as it is a UK event.  I am the North East Regional Coordinator for VBUG and really value the community events such as DDD, indeed so do some of my members.  I ran a mini road trip down to DDD3 and plan to do the same to DDD4.  All the guys, including myself, who went down to Reading, found it to be very useful and interesting.  Indeed we spent hours talking about what we had seen and learnt.

Unfortunately lots of us cannot get to PDC, I am lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to go to Tech Ed this year and am really buzzing about the opportunity.  So events like DDD where fellow developers give up a lot of time to prepare and deliver topics (I appreciate how much work is involved as when arranging speakers for local support meetings i am aware of work involved) are invaluable and have become a much anticipated event.  Indeed I would like to start speaking myself at events alas my laptop is woefully inadequate for any demoing, speaking.

Blowdart, I enoyed your asp.net controls session at DDD3 (I was your room monitor stood at the back when the guy pressed a button on the wall and your projector screen disappeared!) and appreciate the hard work that is involved in that session and the hard work involved by all who organise and speak at the event.

Counting down the days to DDD4 already.
    Big Smile:D:D

• User profile image
    blowdart

apwcodemonkey wrote:

Blowdart, I enoyed your asp.net controls session at DDD3 (I was your room monitor stood at the back when the guy pressed a button on the wall and your projector screen disappeared!)

I remember singing the thunderbirds theme when it came back down again, but someone told me I tried to get others to join in. It's all a blank Big Smile

• User profile image
    eddwo

Sounds good, I finally have my own transport so I will really try to get to that.

PDC05 finished a year ago today, seems to have gone by so fast.
    I now feel I  have .Net 2 fairly well understood, (well WinForms and ADO.Net anyway, not done much with ASP) am beginning to get to grips with .Net 3 and am already looking forward to more new things like ADO.Net Entities. (Does the cycle never end?)

I don't think I got as much out of the PDC as I should to justify the expense, It's my fault for not talking to enough people and getting to enough sessions (still I've got the DVDs to watch) but I'm not sure if I'll be going to another one anytime soon.
    If I do I'd definatly try to get there at least a day before it starts, my flight was delayed and I missed a connection so I didn't arrive till about 11pm on the Monday, having started out at 6am UK Time. Took a couple of days to recover before I was able to really take it all in.

I would like to get more involved locally though, is there a usergroup I can get to easily around Manchester/Huddersfield way?

• User profile image
    irascian

blowdart wrote:
     People devalue that which is free

Ah, but it's not free. Time is money and one has to weigh up the cost of travel and the time spent against the perceived value.

I have no problems with DDD - the two events I've been too have been excellent and although one of the talks  was REALLY poor the excellent-to-superb ones far outweight the weak ones so that's a "cost" I'm happy with.

But I've been to a few "vendor" events where the emphasis seems to have been on "look what great value we've given you - it's all free" and I've been thinking "No! You've wasted my time with endless marketing and disorganisation. I've lost a day's wages to be here so how is that free?"

On the other hand I've been totally disheartened at the number of MSDN events where organisers have clearly worked quite hard to spread the developer knowledge and all the majority of the attendees seem concerned about is the fact they've got out of the office (and can skive off at around 3pm) and why aren't there more free t-shirts and toys?!

Very much looking forward to DDD4 (assuming I can get in) - so what are you planning to talk about this time?

• User profile image
    blowdart

irascian wrote:

Very much looking forward to DDD4 (assuming I can get in) - so what are you planning to talk about this time?

I submitted the first talk I did on hacking again, and a new "recipie" based one for secure web development.

Daniel Fisher and I are also talking about a joint one on asyncronisity and web 2.0 where I want to try to spend time on doing it without atlas

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.