Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Windows Vista RC1 Now Broadly Available: Please test it out!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

You can now start testing your applications on Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) to ensure compatibility.

Windows Vista RC1 is the final pre-release of Windows Vista and is available to MSDN Subscribers and through the Customer Preview Program (CPP). If you aren’t already a part of either of these programs, new orders are now being accepted under a limited availability.

Get RC1!

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Already have and submitted a bug report... Smiley

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Microsoft said they're sending me one... So I'll try it out in 4 to 6 weeks YAY

• User profile image
    Chadk

RC1 is a big step in the right direction. The system itself seem to run so much smoother then XP, and it only takes 15 minuts to install!

The only problem i have seen, is creative. THey havent yet released a driver for x-fi Mad

Also i have seen some video glitching after taking the system rating tool.

I was also wondering if others get the same thing as me, that when you have to confirm that the program you want to run, requires permission, that the screen basicly goes black for a second, and then returns to normal, where you can accept the application to run?

It is a bit annoying. I dont know if i might end up with a BSOD or actually windows, when it turns black for that second.

• User profile image
    borosen

I am just finished with the installation of 5600, so it is way to early to really give any serious feedback.

However:

Chadk wrote:
    RC1 is a big step in the right direction. The system itself seem to run so much smoother then XP, and it only takes 15 minuts to install!

Indeed, the installation went fast.
    But in what way does it run smoother than XP?
    In what situation does XP not run smoothly?

Chadk wrote:
    I was also wondering if others get the same thing as me, that when you have to confirm that the program you want to run, requires permission, that the screen basicly goes black for a second, and then returns to normal, where you can accept the application to run?

It is a bit annoying. I dont know if i might end up with a BSOD or actually windows, when it turns black for that second.

I have the same experience, it's like the graphic card is switching mode.
    Is that necessary?
    What's the benefit?
    Or is it just a glitch?

• User profile image
    Chadk

borosen wrote:
    I am just finished with the installation of 5600, so it is way to early to really give any serious feedback.

However:

Chadk wrote: RC1 is a big step in the right direction. The system itself seem to run so much smoother then XP, and it only takes 15 minuts to install!

Indeed, the installation went fast.
    But in what way does it run smoother than XP?
    In what situation does XP not run smoothly?

Chadk wrote: I was also wondering if others get the same thing as me, that when you have to confirm that the program you want to run, requires permission, that the screen basicly goes black for a second, and then returns to normal, where you can accept the application to run?

I have the same experience, it's like the graphic card is switching mode.
    Is that necessary?
    What's the benefit?
    Or is it just a glitch?

Well, when i use my computer more normal, i get a much more "smooth" feeling. Its not like i actually need to wait 2-3 seconds for application Y to load, and i can find things without delay.

The thing about the graphics switching "mode" when you have to give permission to stuff, i hope is a glitch. It would be a much more nice experience, if thers like a fadeover into the system messagebox, where you can interact with the desktop, like in XP, when you switch themes.

• User profile image
    WillemM

Just got it installed, updated and functioning like it should be Smiley
    You gotta love the driver support, I can install my RAID with windows XP drivers. And my device rating finally is correct!

Cpu: 4,8
    Memory: 3,4
    Graphics: 3
    Storage: 5,9

Not bad for a dual xeon 2.8 Ghz workstation with 1GB memory and a RAID storage subsystem.

Next up: Development and testing various applications'I've created over the past few months/years.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Chadk wrote:

It's intentional and part of the security of the UAC prompt.

Read the User Account Control Overview

Secure Desktop Prompting
    In Windows Vista RC1 you will notice that, by default when User Account Control prompts appear, the rest of the screen is darkened. The prompts are being displayed in the Secure Desktop mode. The same mode you see when you log on or press CTL+ALT+DELETE. Displaying User Account Control elevation dialogs on the Secure Desktop helps protect the user from unknowingly allowing a program to run with elevated privileges without their consent. Without this protection, it is much easier to create malware that tricks the user into approving an elevation request prompt that they really wanted to deny. The Secure Desktop helps protect against this because other software running on the machine is blocked from interacting with the user's interface.

• User profile image
    borosen

BruceMorgan wrote:

Chadk wrote: I was also wondering if others get the same thing as me, that when you have to confirm that the program you want to run, requires permission, that the screen basicly goes black for a second, and then returns to normal, where you can accept the application to run?

Secure Desktop Prompting
    In Windows Vista RC1 you will notice that, by default when User Account Control prompts appear, the rest of the screen is darkened. The prompts are being displayed in the Secure Desktop mode. The same mode you see when you log on or press CTL+ALT+DELETE. Displaying User Account Control elevation dialogs on the Secure Desktop helps protect the user from unknowingly allowing a program to run with elevated privileges without their consent. Without this protection, it is much easier to create malware that tricks the user into approving an elevation request prompt that they really wanted to deny. The Secure Desktop helps protect against this because other software running on the machine is blocked from interacting with the user's interface.

Well, it does more than just darken then rest of the screen, the screen totaly blacks out for a moment.
    At least in my case.

• User profile image
    WillemM

In my case too, although I have to say it does work better than in XP. Instead of the access denied error in a setup program I get the loginscreen for an administrative user.

• User profile image
    figuerres

borosen wrote:

BruceMorgan wrote: 

Secure Desktop Prompting

Well, it does more than just darken then rest of the screen, the screen totaly blacks out for a moment.
    At least in my case.

Not sure yet of "why" but some installs have wound up with a prompt that was minimised on the task bar.... so I was not seeing them at first and had to "find" them on the task bar and open them to get the "dark screen" and click the "ok" stuff....

• User profile image
    Chadk

borosen wrote:

BruceMorgan wrote: 

Secure Desktop Prompting

At least in my case.

The same happens to me. Its like when you change the resolution of your monitors. Totally same effect.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I think my biggest problem so far is that I cannot access the file shares on my Netgear WGT634U Router/Nas Device.
    I had this problem in Pre-RC1 as well.

It just gives me error messages like "Network Path Was Not Found",  works fine from XP and even from my Mac after a configuration change to let it send unencrypted passwords.

Does Vista require tighter SMB security than XP did? There hasn't been a firmware upgrade for the router for a while.

• User profile image
    borosen

figuerres wrote:

Not sure yet of "why" but some installs have wound up with a prompt that was minimised on the task bar.... so I was not seeing them at first and had to "find" them on the task bar and open them to get the "dark screen" and click the "ok" stuff....

++

Got that when installing SQL2005 Developer Edition.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

borosen wrote:

figuerres wrote: 

++

Got that when installing SQL2005 Developer Edition.
    That's by design as well.  From the UACBlog post on RC1:

UAC prompts will not “steal focus” from the user’s task. If the operating system cannot determine that the prompt was generated from the foreground window the current user is using, we will alert the user with a highlighted operation in the taskbar that an application is requesting elevated privileges. The user can select to elevate at his or her convenience and not be disrupted by an unplanned application elevation.

• User profile image
    borosen

BruceMorgan wrote:

UAC prompts will not “steal focus” from the user’s task. If the operating system cannot determine that the prompt was generated from the foreground window the current user is using, we will alert the user with a highlighted operation in the taskbar that an application is requesting elevated privileges. The user can select to elevate at his or her convenience and not be disrupted by an unplanned application elevation.

Thanks for the link.

UACBlog wrote:

Improved performance when switching to the secure (dimmed) desktop to display the prompts. We received significant feedback that the small delays during switching were disruptive, and we have worked with the video and display teams to enhance the user experience in this area

Since I was not in the beta program, I don't have previous experience...
    It sounds as if it was terrible back then... (Since it is improved now). 
    Maybe it is the NVidia driver I am using, that are to blame for the black out?

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

borosen wrote:

BruceMorgan wrote: 

Thanks for the link.

UACBlog wrote:
    Improved performance when switching to the secure (dimmed) desktop to display the prompts. We received significant feedback that the small delays during switching were disruptive, and we have worked with the video and display teams to enhance the user experience in this area

Since I was not in the beta program, I don't have previous experience...
    It sounds as if it was terrible back then... (Since it is improved now). 
    Maybe it is the NVidia driver I am using, that are to blame for the black out?

I'm using an ATI driver (a relatively new card) and have the same issue. It's the bug I submitted.

Ideally, the screen should --fade--, not Completely black out..

But, it won't get fixed.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.