Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

PS3 is not better!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xbox 360-- no worse than PS3

    i hate all these people running over to PS3 just because it is the new thing around and it has the stupid blu-ray player, those dont mean crap

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    This post reminds me of the title of an old profanity-laced Usenet PC vs. Console flamewar.

    Anyone remember the one I'm talking about?

  • User profile image
    doomer

    more powerfull hardware, better controller, better exclusive games, blu-ray PLAYER, and 1º all great compatibility with PS1/PS2 games are good causes to people prefers PS3.

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

  • User profile image
    Xbox 360-- no worse than PS3

    im buying a 360 probably late this fall, PS3 is basically the same, its not better, but it is probably around equal with 360. Playstation lacking a good online system hurts them badly.  what microsoft has done with the HD-DVD add on is genious, they are playing smart and safe, if HD wins, they get a good laugh, if Blu-Ray wins, they scrap the HD add on and make a blu ray one

  • User profile image
    apoc

    woohoo fanboy wars ahoy! I like this little statement the most: "Hardly. Have you looked at it? the 360 wins by a longshot on this one." so, it's the looks eh, no specific argument.

  • User profile image
    tribalcactus

    doomer wrote:
    more powerfull hardware


    This has not been proven.  Sure - SONY has released numbers that say it is better, but EVERY single review that comes out, the numbers seem to get worse and worse.  One example.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32171

    doomer wrote:
    better controller


    I disagree.  The PS3 controller looks sort of alien-ish compared to the orignal PS2 controller, and compared to the 360 controller.  I don't own either one,  though, so I can't speak for the ergonomics.

    doomer wrote:
    better exclusive games


    Exactly which exclusive titles are you thinking of here?  Oh wait - there's that racing game.  Can't remember the title at the moment, but I agree it was better than PGR.

    doomer wrote:
    blu-ray PLAYER


    What is a large part of why the PS3 is $200 MORE than the 360.  Oh wait - we aren't playing Jeopardy, are we?  What happens if Blu-ray doesn't become the standard?  Oh, and did I mention the problem of supply?  One of the reasons Sony had to push back the release of the PS3 in Europe until spring of 2007 is because of lack of supply of parts for the Blu-Ray DVD.  It's looking to me like the insistence on including the Blu-Ray is a huge bungle for Sony.

    doomer wrote:
    1º all great compatibility with PS1/PS2 games are good causes to people prefers PS3.


    How exactly does this work out in favor of Sony?  As long as you have the hard drive (or a cheaper memory unit), you can play all original XBox games on the 360.  I fail to see how this is a win for either side.

  • User profile image
    Andrew Webber FX

    API confirms no support for DX10

    How can this sustain superiority in your opinion

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Or we could do something like this:

    Wait until it comes out to see for ourselves.

    Letting numbers from some 6 month old powerpoint document dictate a product review is nonsense.

  • User profile image
    jb43081

    I think the PS3 way be Sony's Waterloo.

    The sales of their consumer goods has been steadily declining thanks to other brands which offer comperable quality and features for a lot less money.

    They are still paying for the DRM-Rootkit thing from last year.

    Now Toshiba has jumped on the bandwagon and recalled Sony's batteries in some of their laptops, though to be fair it has nothing to do with the whole "Your laptop esplode" thing.

    They've sunk a TON of mony into the PS3. They are selling it at a loss and it is STILL way too expensive for all but really hard-core gamers.
     
    Nintendo has them beat on price, and the 360 has them beat on game library. And no, PS1 and PS2 games don't count since I can play those on the current console WITHOUT spending $600.

    And if Sony can't get mass quantities in the stores BEFORE Christmas, they will have totally missed their window.

  • User profile image
    tribalcactus

    You are right.  I was incorrect on that.  Per the Xbox site, it indicates that "an array of original XBox games" can be played, providing that you have a hard drive.  I've also heard in the past that a memory module will suffice.

  • User profile image
    Sampy

    The thread will reach a clear conclusion in this debate.

    I can tell.

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    I like the xbox because it has a very well thought out and nice implementation for Network gaming, aka Xbox Live.

    I have tried some Sony Games online before, albeight, they were pc games, but even then the online community was terrible (SWG) and the support was horrendous. If they are bad designing a pc version of an online gaming community, then what can we realistically expect from their console?

    We still have no idea what Sony's version of Xbox live will be like (although  I hear they will allow dial-up users, ick). Speaking from history, I doubt Sony will be able to beat Xbox Live, or Microsoft's support.

    Also, the Xboxes Media Center integration is awesome, I really doubt that Sony could ever mimic that.

    Even when considering the value-added for the Blu-ray, noone is considering the value added of having a Media Extender built into the 360.

    If you are going to argue about the value added by including the blue-ray, at least appreciatte the 360's value accordingly so as well to compensate for the Media Center.

    Here are some Media Receiver prices for a comparison:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6531_7-6509113.html

  • User profile image
    jb43081

    phreaks wrote:
    I have tried some Sony Games online before, albeight, they were pc games, but even then the online community was terrible (SWG) and the support was horrendous.


    I played Everquest for quite a bit, and I never had a problem with it.

    I played SWG for awhile after it came out (before I got out of gaming altogether) and I felt (at that time) the envrionment and community needed to mature a bit. I know they've nerfed and re-nerfed it several times. Could be good, could be bad...

    I did get a one week ban on SWG for theorizing that the reason another player was able to "sucker-punch" me was because his mother was providing me with "favors" of a "personal" nature at the time... Wink

  • User profile image
    Angus

    I think I will buy both PS3 and XBox 360, although I am not much of a gamer. I want to play the GTA series on PS3, and I want to get the PS3 because I have games for it and I am used to the controller, etc. also it is higher powered. I would like to get the XBox 360 to play Saints Row. Tongue Out

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    CyberGeek

    For the function of effectuating peacefulness and fortune in this forum, I would like to confer a gift that is definite and irrefutable. I confer upon you an irrefutable classification of the systems, under the unambiguous metric of what systems I happen to prefer. So, without further fanfare or fetid foul failings at imaginative writing:

    Wii > 360 > PS3

    Let peace reign through the land, for a solution has been presented under the title, "CyberGeek's Personal Preference." Let all further debates be silenced by the simple invocation of this undeniable fact!

    I'm bored, I'm gonna go play video games now.

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    CyberGeek wrote:
    For the function of effectuating peacefulness and fortune in this forum, I would like to confer a gift that is definite and irrefutable. I confer upon you an irrefutable classification of the systems, under the unambiguous metric of what systems I happen to prefer. So, without further fanfare or fetid foul failings at imaginative writing:

    Wii > 360 > PS3

    Let peace reign through the land, for a solution has been presented under the title, "CyberGeek's Personal Preference." Let all further debates be silenced by the simple invocation of this undeniable fact!

    I'm bored, I'm gonna go play video games now.


    Another reason why I keep my Xbox Classic around. Only a matter of time before there is a Wii emulator for it.

    I have emulators for NES, SNES, N64, Atari 2600, and MAME running on it now.

    I was just playing Super Mario Cart 64 and the legend of Zelda (original) last night.
    [A]

  • User profile image
    rhm

    tribalcactus wrote:
    
    doomer wrote: more powerfull hardware


    This has not been proven.  Sure - SONY has released numbers that say it is better, but EVERY single review that comes out, the numbers seem to get worse and worse.  One example.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32171

    doomer wrote: better controller


    I disagree.  The PS3 controller looks sort of alien-ish compared to the orignal PS2 controller, and compared to the 360 controller.  I don't own either one,  though, so I can't speak for the ergonomics.

    doomer wrote: better exclusive games


    Exactly which exclusive titles are you thinking of here?  Oh wait - there's that racing game.  Can't remember the title at the moment, but I agree it was better than PGR.

    doomer wrote: blu-ray PLAYER


    What is a large part of why the PS3 is $200 MORE than the 360.  Oh wait - we aren't playing Jeopardy, are we?  What happens if Blu-ray doesn't become the standard?  Oh, and did I mention the problem of supply?  One of the reasons Sony had to push back the release of the PS3 in Europe until spring of 2007 is because of lack of supply of parts for the Blu-Ray DVD.  It's looking to me like the insistence on including the Blu-Ray is a huge bungle for Sony.

    doomer wrote: 1º all great compatibility with PS1/PS2 games are good causes to people prefers PS3.


    How exactly does this work out in favor of Sony?  As long as you have the hard drive (or a cheaper memory unit), you can play all original XBox games on the 360.  I fail to see how this is a win for either side.



    It's this sort of posting that reminds me of Usenet Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.