Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Free as in Beer... Is Beer free?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

I have always had a problem with that saying.  Beer is not free.  No one can get free beer.  Go to your local ale house and get a beer dont you pay for that?  When you get a keg, dont you pay for that?  Even to brew your own beer you have to buy the ingredients to make it.  Beer is not free, someone may give you a beer but it cost somebody some money down the line somewhere.  Not a very good analogy when you think aout it is it?

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

I think that the meaning of "Free as in Beer" means that it's something that anyone can have and enjoy.

Just my 2c.

Rotem

• User profile image
    AndyC

The point is that if you saw "Free Beer" you'd interpret the word free as referring to money, whereas you wouldn't if you saw one saying "Free Speech"

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Isn't free alchohol illegal in some places? i.e.  Bars can't give out free booze.

• User profile image
    Rossj

rjdohnert wrote:
    I have always had a problem with that saying.  Beer is not free.  No one can get free beer.

Free has two meanings in English...

• User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

from wikipedia:-

Free as in beer refers to things which are available at no monetary cost (like free beer at a party). While one is permitted to use the object (e.g., drink the beer) without payment, one does not necessarily receive any rights (e.g. take the beer home) or ownership.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Do they have any acronyms based on ESR (Eric S. Raymond)?

When I hear the phrase "free beer" I think of the beer being trapped in bottles, cans or in a keg. To "free" it then means to liberate it. The easiest way I know of liberating the trapped beer in a bottle or can is to open it, and drink it. So I think the goal is to free as many bottles as you can before passing out.

I could be wrong.

• User profile image
    cwilliams11​45

jaylittle wrote:
    Also on a side note, I was chatting with coworker who was working on a Customer Machine that has Microsoft's Retail Management System software installed and noticed that the acronym for that product was RMS.  Does that spook anybody else out other than myself?

That TLA collides with several things (including another Microsoft technology).  Which one did you have in mind?

• User profile image
    Red5

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    When I hear the phrase "free beer" I think of the beer being trapped in bottles, cans or in a keg. To "free" it then means to liberate it. The easiest way I know of liberating the trapped beer in a bottle or can is to open it, and drink it. So I think the goal is to free as many bottles as you can before passing out.

I could be wrong.

Now you're talking!  I'll pass out after 4 of em, if it's Belgian quality.

• User profile image
    Minh

Of course beer can be free.

Just weasel your way out before it's your turn to buy the round. (not that I've ever done this Smiley )

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Red5 wrote:
    Now you're talking!  I'll pass out after 4 of em, if it's Belgian quality.

And the Canadian puts on his boxing gloves Cool

• User profile image
    Red5

Harlequin wrote:

Red5 wrote: Now you're talking!  I'll pass out after 4 of em, if it's Belgian quality.

And the Canadian puts on his boxing gloves

I enjoy LaBatts.  It's a mainstay in my fridge next to Summit Pale Ale and Samuel Adams.
    I only wish I could get Guiness in a bottle/can that is of the same quality as what pours forth from the tap.
    Guiness makes you strong.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

If I can drink it, I enjoy it.  My favorite will and has always been Corona.

• User profile image
    jamie

...i just liked seeing beer (as in 28) in the thread title - was like the old days...

(and thats the way it was and we liked it!) Wink

ps:  Blue!

• User profile image
    defstream

I believe the saying makes sense in situations where people need help do to soemthing, i.e. code some software, and need help from a few other people who will do it for free as in beer (as in, will not expect to be paid in money, but is pretty sure beer will be available and free after the work is done. )

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.