Skip Navigation

Coffeehouse Thread

99 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Made In Express Winners Announced

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ali_raza_sh​aikh

ping back from Dan Fernandez Blog Post

The Winners Are In!

Today we officially announced the winners to the Made In Express Contest including the Grand Prize ($10,000 US), First Prize, and Community Choice winners. The competition was tight and the voting even produced a tie for first place. Rather than breaking the tie, we’ve decided to recognize two First Prize awards! Read on to see who Robert Scoble, Phil Torrone and Chris Pirillo voted for:

Grand Prize Winner

Ernie Hall
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Project: All terrain self-maneuverable robot

Ernie’s all-terrain self-maneuverable robot was a huge favorite with the judges. “Ernie Hall’s robot just stood out,” says judge Robert Scoble, “His videos, blogs, and the project itself made it a clear winner right away.” Ernie encourages everyone to keep on learning, recently posting “You can learn C# even if you are 65” in his blog. As a professor at the University of Cincinnati, Hall now plans to turn his code and blog entries into a course for my computer science and engineering robotics students.

First Prize Winner (tie)

Ali Khalid Lahore
    Punjab, Pakistan
    Project: Instant IM Translation

Ali’s idea to help people communicate via instant messaging in different languages came from a personal need, “I have a friend in France whose English is not so good, so whenever we are talking on the MSN Messenger, I copy what ever he says, paste it into a translation service, then type my reply in English, translate it into French and copy it back in MSN Messenger.” From the start, people loved Ali’s idea to bring people closer together, “…what i mean to say that your idea will help many people out there, it'll help communicating with people so i wish u good luck with your idea,” says one commenter on his blog.

First Prize Winner (tie)

Jonas Martinsson
    Petah
    Tikva, Israel
    Project: Personalized print newspaper/magazine

Jonas helped us all take a step closer to publishing our own newspaper based on the news we care about. FeedJournal is “actually a little glimpse of the future…it will likely be a common way for readers to ‘roll their own’ magazines in the near future” says judge Phil Torrone, Senior Editor of Make Magazine. Jonas plans to continue development of FeedJournal and even aspires to make a commercial version of the application available.

Community Choice Winner

Sanchez Roman Canlas
    Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines
    Project: A curmudgeon chat bot

Roman’s curmudgeon chat bot styled on the popular television show “Dr. House” was a big favorite with the community voters. Clearly, thinking about the larger community is a big deal for him. “The fun thing about this competition are the diversity of people involved in it,” says Canlas, “We can conclude that technology is universal despite of your race and color”.

Congratulations to the Winners
    Big congratulations to Ernie Hall, Ali Khalid Lahore, Jonas Martinsson, and Sanchez Roman Canlas for their hard work in making their ideas come to life!

• User profile image
    Chadk

Wow, 65. I must say that is really impressive! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Rossj

ali_raza_shaikh wrote:

Read on to see who Robert Scoble, Phil Torrone and Chris Pirillo voted for:

Grand Prize Winner

Ernie Hall  and Team, with code written and completed before the competition began.

There you go, fixed that for you.  I am unsurprised that nobody wants to talk about how this *team*  won a competition were it was supposed to be individual contributors - a quick mail to Mr P come up with a one word reply ...

• User profile image
    Minh

Rossj wrote:
    ali_raza_shaikh wrote:

Grand Prize Winner

Ernie Hall  and Team, with code written and completed before the competition began.

There you go, fixed that for you.  I am unsurprised that nobody wants to talk about how this *team*  won a competition were it was supposed to be individual contributors - a quick mail to Mr P come up with a one word reply ...

Ha! He's a professor at my alma mata -- University of Cincinnati.
    It's OK then.

Go Bearcats!

• User profile image
    geekling

Rossj wrote:

ali_raza_shaikh wrote:

Grand Prize Winner

Even Wikipedia comes up with citation URLs!

• User profile image
    Angus

Oh well, I was hoping that the AJAX IRC Client would win. That looked like a great competition, and an inspiration to people using Visual Studio Express Editions like me. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:

ali_raza_shaikh wrote: 

Grand Prize Winner

Sounds like a scandal... Hmmm. Not good, not good at all. Isn't Express here for the hobbyists? I guess they made him win, to make other universties think if to use Express Editions.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Let's Slashdot/Neowin the website and the judges!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Rossj wrote:

ali_raza_shaikh wrote: 

Grand Prize Winner

Fixed the size issue.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jaylittle wrote:
    Thats pretty crappy MS.  Good game guys.

I still don't think anyone from MS is going to comment on it, but I'd prefer it if they did - even if it was just to say "oops, an oversight, sorry all" - but I do feel for those individuals that put in so much effort to be denied a place in the final few because of an 'oversight' albeit one that casts VS in such a good light - look you can use it to buiild robots.

• User profile image
    Rossj

*cough*

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:
    *cough*

*sigh* Smiley

• User profile image
    Tensor

Yeah, but its a Robot. So, its like, OK. Or something.

I mean, compared to a team of academics winning a competition for individual hobbyists with code they allready wrote, thats more important, right?

Errr.....

• User profile image
    Tensor

I for one welcome our new C# Express robot overlords...

• User profile image
    Rossj

Tensor wrote:

I for one welcome our new C# Express robot overlords...

You're not trying to keep this thread on top until there is some sort of response from MS are you?

• User profile image
    Tensor

I dunno, but I have a sneaking suspicion SOMEONE is....

• User profile image
    Rossj

Tensor wrote:

I dunno, but I have a sneaking suspicion SOMEONE is....

What do you mean?

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Well it's not me trying to keep it at the top...

...oh bother, I just have!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.