Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

VS2005 SP1 BETA available; your experiences?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

dahat wrote:

Any chance someone knows where a change log can be found?

There's a list of hotfixes included on the Connect site, but a lot of those are "KB Info Not Available" at the moment.

• User profile image
    MB

littleguru wrote:
    It is really slow. It takes a lot CPU and does a lot before actually starting to install. I guess it has to inspect all the packages installed. Visual Studio is a complex piece of software.

Why??  -- I mean... it's not as if MS upgrades ever pay any attention to what was there before... Big Smile

• User profile image
    borosen

MB wrote:

littleguru wrote:It is really slow. It takes a lot CPU and does a lot before actually starting to install. I guess it has to inspect all the packages installed. Visual Studio is a complex piece of software.

Why??  -- I mean... it's not as if MS upgrades ever pay any attention to what was there before...

Then it is a good thing they have started to. Wink

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Just got an email for the download.
    371.88 MB

I'll have to download that this evening.

Hope it fixes my Forms designer problem, and allows me to have the .NET 3.0 RC1 installed.

Thanks for the link, LittleGuru.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

For those people who found it to install slow. Did you completely shutdown your anti-virus solution? Sometimes it still runs in the background. Best thing is to do a msconfig and disable the antivirus from startup   and then install SP1 and it will go faster. That is what I did and so far so good.

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

Installed rather well here. Took about an hour, though I had to specifically elevate it for Vista otherwise it didn't' seem to work. After doing that it installed and seems to be rather good.

Only issue I have found is sometimes the start page doesn't load properly, if you minimise and then restore the window, then it's all good again.

Running on Vista 5728 Ultimate x86 w/ VS2005 Pro.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

The installer takes ages to load! Its as though they load the whole file into memory before it shows anything. the installer's memory usage is 385MB Perplexed

• User profile image
    phreaks

35 minutes and still installing.

It has said 0 seconds remaining for about 20 minutes now.

Oh, it just completed!

I will be back with feedback.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Sven Groot wrote:

One new thing is a message at startup that running Visual Studio without administrator rights on Vista isn't supported. Which is weird, since it works fine for me. Fortunately the message can be disabled.

Oh for pity's sake! Microsoft, you need to sort this out, it's ridiculous.
    As it stands, this means our Academic Alliance subscription is useless. Either we can't deploy Vista (thus preventing us from taking advantage of the new features) or we can't use Visual Studio. Giving a couple of hundred students administrator rights to shared computer labs is obviously not an option.

• User profile image
    phreaks

AndyC wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:
    One new thing is a message at startup that running Visual Studio without administrator rights on Vista isn't supported. Which is weird, since it works fine for me. Fortunately the message can be disabled.

As it stands, this means our Academic Alliance subscription is useless. Either we can't deploy Vista (thus preventing us from taking advantage of the new features) or we can't use Visual Studio. Giving a couple of hundred students administrator rights to shared computer labs is obviously not an option.

pffft...

When I was your age, there were no non-administrator pc's in the labs, heck there wasn't even a bundled winsock, we had to use trumpet and start it up before we tried to "get online". There was no Visual Studio, or Vista, or glass or ribbons or cool spinbars. All we had was gif's (and then later animated gifs).  There was no Outlook, or Eudora, there was only TN3270 over SNA and we liked it!

And we had to walk 10 miles to those labs, uphill in the snow, both ways.

//oh wait, you mean Windows Vista? or Vista TN3270? Cool
    http://www.tombrennansoftware.com/screens.html

//punch cards anyone?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

AndyC wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

It does still work. Everything that worked before still works, and besides the obvious thing such as debugging a process running under a different account I haven't come across something that doesn't work. It's just the message that was added, nothing else has actually changed. The message seems to apply that there's stuff that doesn't work under a limited account in Vista that does work in XP under a limited account, but if there is, I haven't found it yet.

(And to be fair, MS does do a better job than most. Every version of VS I've used works under a limited account; Borland C++ Builder 5 just crashes if you try to start it as a limited user).

• User profile image
    AndyC

Sven Groot wrote:

It does still work. Everything that worked before still works, and besides the obvious thing such as debugging a process running under a different account I haven't come across something that doesn't work.

But thats almost worse.

They might just as well change the message to read "We can't be bothered to test our application as a Limited User but, hey, you guys should because it's like important and stuff."

• User profile image
    arunpv

Downloading now... @ 58.6 KB/sec:@

slow slow slow....

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Cable modem at home pulled it down in 8 minutes.

T1 at work took 3.5-4 hours...

As far as my Windows Forms problem, sp1 doesn't fix the registry, but reformating does.
    :O

I'm wondering if my HOL with WWF, #6 or #7, (with Web services), had anything to do with registry corruption. That's the last thing I did before the disaster... ?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

thanks littleguru, i'm in, 371.9M, downloading... don't ask...

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

*BUMP*

So, how is it going for everyone?

I've installed on my home system and it seems faster and I haven't had any problems, but they're all small, simple projects.

I have not installed it on my work machine as I feel it's too risky for now.

So how's it going for everyone else?

I'm going to test the uninstallation of this thing tonight, just to be sure that there's an exit strategy in case it all starts to go horribly wrong.

Herbie

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.