Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

www.BrowseHappy.com - Anti-IE Movement

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Alright, this is getting crazy.

Looks like the OSS guys are following in the footsteps of the AppleCommercials and doing their little "I converted" thing. Get this, they call the site "Browse Happy", where they teach you why you simply cannot browse happy with IE.

I am a big fan of OSS browsers, but the reasons these people are giving for switching are lame! Not only that, but look at whose testimonies we're given.

1. Karen Freeman - Housewife
    2. Alan Moss - Businessman
    3. David Catherall - Entrepreneur
    4. Sarah Williams - Music Student

And a few more. They have a PM in there, and another computer fella...but by an large their populus is constructed of non-tech individuals.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

http://browsehappy.com/

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Happy happy! Joy joy!

• User profile image
    PeterF

That's a site that has been around for a while. Nice initiative, but all that idealism bores me Smiley

Peter

• User profile image
    sbc

What it does show is that the alternatives to IE are easy to use.

Personally I have never really had that many problems with IE, I just prefer Firefox. For web development I think nothing can beat it (especially when you have Firebug). The IE Developer Toolbar is catching up with the Web Developer Toolbar, but what I really want is a Firebug for IE (with its inspection and debugging features (like console.info added to js code)) - rather than depending on Microsoft Script Debugger.

Viruses are not really that much of a problem nowadays, it is software that people voluntarily download and which behaves like trojans/spyware. It make more financial sense (for the developers of them) than preventing a computer from working at all (by deleting files or causing a significant slowdown).

• User profile image
    Erisan

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Looks like the OSS guys...

Hmmh... I don't think that page has much to do with OSS. Or is that page
    even created by OSS guys? ... Sorry but I didn't bother give too much
    attention to that page.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Erisan wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:Looks like the OSS guys...

Hmmh... I don't think that page has much to do with OSS. Or is that page
    even created by OSS guys? ... Sorry but I didn't bother give too much
    attention to that page.

<meta name="author" content="Ethan Marcotte, on behalf of www.webstandards.org" />

• User profile image
    Rowan

Wow that's old, and two of the browsers listed are closed source (afaik).

IE6 and 7 are still far behind in web standards support and everything else, there's just no incentive to use it, unless you're a phish who likes to bite hooks.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Rowan wrote:

IE6 and 7 are still far behind in web standards support and everything else, there's just no incentive to use it, unless you're a phish who likes to bite hooks.

• It's auto-update mechanism doesn't break if you're a limited user
    • It works with a Tablet PC without having to install a hacky extension that still doesn't get it right 60% of the time
    • I have never, ever, found a website that doesn't work in IE - excluding those that where author deliberately chose to block IE for political reasons
    • I'm not stupid enough to click yes to ever install dialog or prompt I see. Consequently I've never had spyware/virus issues at all
    • It allows large scale management without resorting to hacks or scripts
    • I prefer it

That's enough reasons for me.

• User profile image
    phreaks

LOL,

I love their "Reason Why IE is unsafe" page.

http://browsehappy.com/why/

//dorks

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.