Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Banned words on Channel 9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Massif

Being british I find it hilarious (as I just pointed out in another thread) that the forum will censor some fairly innocuous words (like qu33r being the example, sorry about the l33t sp34|<) and yet swear-words like bollocks, wankers and bugger get through.

What other words have you noticed it banning / ignoring?

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

The word filter is US-centric.  The Q-word has homosexual connotations in the US.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

So does the word "Homosexual".

Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    The word filter is US-centric.  The Q-word has homosexual connotations in the US.

• User profile image
    Blackheart

So does the phrase, "Light in your loafers."

jsampsonPC wrote:
    So does the word "Homosexual".

Matthew van Eerde wrote: The word filter is US-centric.  The Q-word has homosexual connotations in the US.

• User profile image
    Angus

There is a list in the Wiki about the words that are filtered, W3bbo has also provided a method to get around it. I think having a censored words list is a good idea, but I doubt we really need to change it to cover these words, I think we are all mature enough to "steer clear" of them. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Massif wrote:
    Being british I find it hilarious (as I just pointed out in another thread) that the forum will censor some fairly innocuous words (like qu33r being the example, sorry about the l33t sp34|<) and yet swear-words like bollocks, wankers and bugger get through.

What other words have you noticed it banning / ignoring?

For your reference.

• User profile image
    fdisk

I'm not sure about the word filter here, but I'll bet I am banned shortly. $10 says they will say I was "personally attacking" people and the contest threads will disappear.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I doubt the threads will vanish, but I would have to agree that it did appear that you were personally attacking Softies, with disrespecful remarks.

fdisk wrote:

I'm not sure about the word filter here, but I'll bet I am banned shortly. $10 says they will say I was "personally attacking" people and the contest threads will disappear.

• User profile image
    fdisk

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I doubt the threads will vanish, but I would have to agree that it did appear that you were personally attacking Softies, with disrespecful remarks.
    Perhaps. But I really wasn't trying to. Something just seemed very unfair about the whole process, and well, you can read about it in the other thread as to what a particular article said. It's all making perfect sense now and it makes me truly wonder how sincere Microsoft is about many, many things.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I understand and fully-respect your genuine concern for things to be done decently and in an orderly fashion. But I still feel that you may, in your passion Smiley, have come across a bit caustic and angry and delivered a few remarks to parties who were trying (from all I can tell) to help the situation in the future to turnout a better success.

fdisk wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote: I doubt the threads will vanish, but I would have to agree that it did appear that you were personally attacking Softies, with disrespecful remarks.
    Perhaps. But I really wasn't trying to. Something just seemed very unfair about the whole process, and well, you can read about it in the other thread as to what a particular article said. It's all making perfect sense now and it makes me truly wonder how sincere Microsoft is about many, many things.

• User profile image
    Massif

I guessed about the homosexual connotations, I just find it amusing that no-one thought to include the main British swearwords in the list.

(wanders off to consult the profanisaurus.)

So which amongst these words are banned I wonder?

• gash
    • arse
    • jubblies
    • jizzbags
    • minge
    • mezoomas (that was a new one on me)
    • moip
    • nookie
    • poofter

Apologies to those of delicate constitution who are easily offended. Jizzbags probably was pushing it though.

• User profile image
    Massif

None? Not even Minge?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Welcome to c9, where only the British can be profane Smiley And if you want to be profane, you gotta talk like a brit!

• User profile image
    W3bbo
  • User profile image
    phreaks

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Welcome to c9, where only the British can be profane Smiley And if you want to be profane, you gotta talk like a brit!

Or a gangsta...

Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet - Skeet

EDIT: forgot a skeet

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

W3bbo wrote:

This was the first thing to come to mind when I read, "Nookie". I believe the Americans have adopted this one already Smiley

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Massif wrote:
    So which amongst these words are banned I wonder?
    • gash
    • arse
    • jubblies
    • jizzbags
    • minge
    • moip
    • nookie
    • poofter

Apologies to those of delicate constitution who are easily offended. Jizzbags probably was pushing it though.

You forgot:

• jugs
    • melons
    • knockers
    • cans

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

Massif wrote:So which amongst these words are banned I wonder?
    • gash
    • arse
    • jubblies
    • jizzbags
    • minge
    • moip
    • nookie
    • poofter

You forgot:

• jugs
    • melons
    • knockers
    • cans

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.