Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

HD Movies

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Does anyone know if hidef movies(HD-DVD, BlueRay) have to be redigitized from the original film to the new high definition format?

Just thinking about movies I would like to buy when the PS3 or whatever other player comes out. Wouldn't mind seeing Braveheart on my 50" DLP at 1080i, would be an awesome movie to watch. Bladerunner, etc etc Cool

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I guess I'm the only videophile/audiophile here?

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Red5

Harlequin wrote:

Does anyone know if hidef movies(HD-DVD, BlueRay) have to be redigitized from the original film to the new high definition format?

Just thinking about movies I would like to buy when the PS3 or whatever other player comes out. Wouldn't mind seeing Braveheart on my 50" DLP at 1080i, would be an awesome movie to watch. Bladerunner, etc etc

Good question.  I am curious myself as to how older movies become hi-def--if there really is any qain in quality.  Audio I could believe, but video is questionable.

The cost for the hi-def tv/tuner along with a player and the discs themselves may be a deterrent for most people.
    I'm guessing the adoption rate will be slow.
    Heck, our local video stores still offer plenty of VHS tapes along with DVD for rental.  Is the market saturated with too many formats now?

• User profile image
    Angus

I'm looking forward to widestream High Definition Movies. I have been slightly negative about the High Definition Television that has been available (I personally don't care about seeing the news in high definition), but movies have been a very interesting prospect.

Will Sony Playstation 3 support dual High Definition displays? (Someone mentioned it, but they are not a reliable source)

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Minh

Hi-def movies have to be resample from the orginal sources, yes.

Current DVDs only contained interlaced 720x480 movies.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Harlequin wrote:
    I guess I'm the only videophile/audiophile here?

I'm an audiophile but not so much a videophile. Smiley

Of course the movies will have to be re-digitised; there is nothing to be gained from converting the DVD image to HD.

Film uses a resolution that's still quite a bit higher than what DVD uses. This is true for both regular film masters and more modern digital masters. This allows even older movies to gain from HD treatment.

• User profile image
    Minh

Red5 wrote:

Good question.  I am curious myself as to how older movies become hi-def--if there really is any qain in quality.  Audio I could believe, but video is questionable.

Movies that were shot on films are actually very very hi-def -- so no problem for HD videos there.

Lots of TV programs these days are shot using HD digital cameras ... and are down-sampled for NTSC or PAL. So their HD migration path is simple, too.

It seems that producers have been ready for HD for a while & are just waiting for set prices to drop so adoption can be better.

Except there's a tiny format war being waged between HD-DVD & Blueray.

• User profile image
    Red5

Minh wrote:

Movies that were shot on films are actually very very hi-def -- so no problem for HD videos there.

That makes sense.  But doesn't film degrade over time?
    If I wanted to get an HD version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall", or the concert "Delicate Sound of Thunder" how would 20-25 years of degredation affect it?  (Both rock by the way) I suppose there is software now for such things.

• User profile image
    irascian

Yes they do but many companies have already started. That new set of James Bond DVDs completely remastered only 2 years after a complete "digitally remastered" set was first released? Done for Hi-Def but "sampled down" to maximise the money on DVD before released the Hi-Def version.

Incidentally Hi-def players boast "up-sampling" of current DVDs. It's never going to be as good as Hi-def but most reviewers seem to think that an ordinary DVD "up-sampled" to Hi-Def format via the player's hardware gives a noticeable improvement in picture quality on a big screen.

A good source of information is www.engadgethd.com which until last week was called www.hdbeat.com

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I just wondered how the movies in 72mm format are turned into digital. Not sure if they just digitize it to DVD scale, or maybe they even super-digitize it to something like 2600x1200px and store it somewhere, that way they can just resample or whatever to the highdef pixel resolution.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.