Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE is better than FF in the Marquee realm

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I'm developing an online gallery for a local artist, and I got to a section where a series of paintings' titles are listed as links within a marquee. When you load the page, the list isn't showing...when you hover over the marquee the list begins scrolling. So, it's good to not have the list showing to begin with.. IE works great...load the page, no words yet showing in the marquee. FF, um, not so great. Right now I have "Hello World" in the marquee, and you can see part of the first char in the string upon loading in FF.

Anybody know how to correct this in FF?

• User profile image
    phreaks

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I'm developing an online gallery for a local artist, and I got to a section where a series of paintings' titles are listed as links within a marquee. When you load the page, the list isn't showing...when you hover over the marquee the list begins scrolling. So, it's good to not have the list showing to begin with.. IE works great...load the page, no words yet showing in the marquee. FF, um, not so great. Right now I have "Hello World" in the marquee, and you can see part of the first char in the string upon loading in FF.

Anybody know how to correct this in FF?

I don't know the answer, sorry.

But that site looks great.
    My wife is an artist, is that a template or are you creating from creative scratch?

• User profile image
    Angus

I believe this problem arises as <marquee> it is an IE tag, not a valid HTML tag; although this post:

[Link]

Offers a solution.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

It's from scratch.
    The prototype is online, www.SusanEMyers.com but it is NOT the finished product. There will be errors and validation issues in the prototype, and not to mention that the entire site is SLOW. I'm hoping to have all of the updates finished soon.

Jonathan

phreaks wrote:
    But that site looks great.
    My wife is an artist, is that a template or are you creating from creative scratch?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jsampsonPC wrote:
    It's from scratch.
    The prototype is online, www.SusanEMyers.com but it is NOT the finished product. There will be errors and validation issues in the prototype, and not to mention that the entire site is SLOW. I'm hoping to have all of the updates finished soon.

Damn sexy Smiley

....but the others can guess what I find wrong with it, besides simply validation.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

w3bbo, I could tell you 100 things wrong with it Wink Keep in mind that it shouldn't be graded...since it's not the product Tongue Out One of the most frustrating things wrong with it is the fact that the images are BLOBs. Nasty, eh? Tongue Out

W3bbo wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote: It's from scratch.

Damn sexy

....but the others can guess what I find wrong with it, besides simply validation.
  • User profile image
    phreaks

jsampsonPC wrote:
    It's from scratch.

Jonathan

phreaks wrote: But that site looks great.

I suck at UI. I have no idea how to put things together so they look nice, which sucks for my wife because she ended up with a canned .NET starter page, that still isn't even 1/4 complete.

http://www.lynnlizzy.com/

I can do all the logic, it's just when i try to put some nice gui together, I end up staring at the IDE screen for a few hours and then give up.

I think that explains my lack of fashion sense as well.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

phreaks wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:It's from scratch.

Jonathan

I suck at UI. I have no idea how to put things together so they look nice, which sucks for my wife because she ended up with a canned .NET starter page, that still isn't even 1/4 complete.

I can do all the logic, it's just when i try to put some nice gui together, I end up staring at the IDE screen for a few hours and then give up.

Oh, there's an idea:

"GUI Designers for hire"

Would you buy into it?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Phreaks,

That doesn't look half-bad, actually.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    phreaks

W3bbo wrote:

phreaks wrote: 
    jsampsonPC wrote: It's from scratch.

Jonathan

Oh, there's an idea:

"GUI Designers for hire"

Would you buy into it?

But of course I would buy into that.

I would prefer to barter services, but would definately buy in a pinch.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.