Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

British people? University of York WiFi/internet

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dentaku

I friend of mine is moving to England next week with her boyfriend to the University of York.

He has a laptop and she has a PDA with WiFi.
    Does anyone her have any experience with the internet access given to students living on campus?
    I'm assuming it's not any different than here in my house where I just plug in an 802.11G router and connect to it.

I wonder  if they limit file sharing and torrents? Torrents are great for watching TV shows you can't get in other countries.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Can't help unfortunately as I didn't study there, but I seem to have a recollection that someone I knew did. I shall try to remember if old age hasn't made me forget completely.

On the plus side though York is a lovely place (although a bit too pricey for my liking).

• User profile image
    Angus

A lot of UK universities have banned the use of torrents (well I know that Leeds University has, and several others have) as lots of traffic has been illegally downloading films, etc. which the university cannot have happening on campus.

I'm not sure about legal torrents, but I believe all torrenting is banned, although I could be wrong.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

dentaku wrote:
    Does anyone her have any experience with the internet access given to students living on campus?

In plenty of places it's non-existant actually. But there are usually phonelines you can plug into for 56K action Smiley (Nope, not even Ethernet)

...but in those cases there's usually a hardwired "Computer Room" somewhere in the halls, you can probably plug a discreet AP into there and hope no-one notices it.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Way back in the dark ages of 1993 students at some of the halls of residence had network access points in their rooms. I don't think it cost anything (or possibly very little).

Unfortnately, I was housed in overflow accomodation at 'The Retreat' next to the campus.  It's basically an asylum. I wasn't sure whether to be insulted. 

York had quite an advanced computer network due to it's large Computer Science Deptartment, so I would imagine access is easy.

I don't know about WiFi, though I haven't been there in over a decade.

My wife and I met at York.  Don't worry about the smell from the lake -- it goes away in the spring.  Just watch out for the goose poo in the pavements.

Herbie

• User profile image
    dentaku

Dr Herbie wrote:

I don't know about WiFi, though I haven't been there in over a decade.

These days students living on campus get internet access and they actually have WiFi hotspots so it IS better than when you where there. They even have instructions on their website for PDA users (she has a Windows Mobile 5 device).

I knew someone on C9 probably went to that school.
    Too bad there doesn't seem to be any current students of that school on C9.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.