Coffeehouse Thread

68 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Re: /that/ competition, what we want

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Having read through the threads about it, can we say we want nothing less than the "Winning" team's prize revoked and those ranking lower to be moved up? (i.e. is my conclusion correct?)

And what does Microsoft say in response to this? Hardly "they won fair and square".

BTW, all responses from DarthVista/fdisk/thumbtacks are to be ignored, comprendé?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

This seems rather fair. I don't know how possible it is now though, seeing how this stuff seems to be settling with the dust now. Is it too late to go back and make right what was wronged? I don't know. It would truly be an act of justice to see the next (Valid) participant awarded the winnings.

• User profile image
    blowdart

did this really need another thread? are you that attention starved?!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    did this really need another thread? are you that attention starved?!

I thought the othe threads weren't so much about what to do now, rather than "what to do next"

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I'm wondering why there is so much sudden silence on this, unless they are consulting with legal or something like that. Although it already looks like they went down that particular route.  One sure thing to come out of this is more cynicism (if nothing is done), and that's the last thing this company needs...especially from developers just starting out (which is who I thought this contest was for, but I could be wrong).

• User profile image
    jamie

good damage control might be not to revoke those who won already - as its done and over - but to indeed give the next 3 legit winners some free prizes - + an apology for how it all went down

• User profile image
    Rossj

I actually felt guilty for modifying the original posters message in that thread, another thread where I mentioned this got mostly ignored but my overgrown sense of justice prevailed and I brought it up. Again.

Like I said, felt. Coz let's face it, Microsoft might pay for C9 but it is as much the niners as it is theirs ... and really, the lunatics running the asylum might not be such a bad idea (at least in the CoffeeHouse).

It could all have been solved by asking the original winner if they would object to withdrawing from the project based on the rules, rather than going to a legal team for some legalease. But then that would involve losing face, stepping back from a bad decision and admitting a mistake - and that just isn't Microsoft, at least not the old Microsoft that has re-surfaced.  It makes me wonder whether the whole New Microsoft, transparent conversations thing was just an attempt to stop people from saying bad things - or am I just too cynical?

I suspect if anyone brings this up in another thread the whole of the first page might be about the same topic ... ho hum.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    It makes me wonder whether the whole New Microsoft, transparent conversations thing was just an attempt to stop people from saying bad things - or am I just too cynical?

Probably a bit of both, new people coming in to try and change things for the good, but before they can commit the Men in (Black) Suits come in and shake their heads disapprovingly.

• User profile image
    Rossj

So, is anyone (who can do so for less than $5 a minute) going to phone Mark?  It'd be cool if you could turn it into a FormOfAudioPreviouslyKnownAsPodCast for the benefit of all.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    So, is anyone (who can do so for less than $5 a minute) going to phone Mark?  It'd be cool if you could turn it into a FormOfAudioPreviouslyKnownAsPodCast for the benefit of all.

I will, but I can't record it.

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:

Rossj wrote:So, is anyone (who can do so for less than $5 a minute) going to phone Mark?  It'd be cool if you could turn it into a FormOfAudioPreviouslyKnownAsPodCast for the benefit of all.

The joys of being a rich kid Wink No Offense.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
    Rossj wrote:So, is anyone (who can do so for less than $5 a minute) going to phone Mark?  It'd be cool if you could turn it into a FormOfAudioPreviouslyKnownAsPodCast for the benefit of all.

The joys of being a rich kid No Offense.

Nah, VoIP makes calls cheap Smiley

BTW, where is the number? I can't find it

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:

Rossj wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

Nah, VoIP makes calls cheap

Be polite, you know you can do it - sometimes Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
    Rossj wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

Nah, VoIP makes calls cheap

Be polite, you know you can do it - sometimes

Just planning now, I'll call him in a minute.

Can you get on GTalk?

EDIT: That number is for a "Shaun Kelley", not MJ's account. (Perhaps this Kelley's number?)

• User profile image
    Minh

Rossj wrote:
    I asked (via thread) him for exactly this... to go on record and be umm... recorded. But he hasn't answered.

• User profile image
    JKelley

Not my phone number.  Smiley  I use my phone so little though that I actually had to look over and check to make sure.  I don't know Shaun either.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I've been so distant about this since I read what happened that I lost track of all the finer points. If someone wants to make a list I'll call Mark in two hours.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    I've been so distant about this since I read what happened that I lost track of all the finer points. If someone wants to make a list I'll call Mark in two hours.

I've already called him, I'm still typing up my overview.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.