Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ie7...photo gallery..: no more small windows?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

I posted a thread before about the smallest size in Windows Photo Gallery locking at a certain size (no zooming out)

Now Ive come across the same limitation using IE7 today.

Im trying to make a gadget (docked) thats very thin (100 pixels w)
    When i go to try to see it in IE - the browser locks width - before i can get to the size I need.

here it is in Frontpage: almost half the width

I checked this on the server - and IE6 does indeed go to aprox 1 inch width.. ( not new 2 inches ie7 seems to demand)

In fairness - i checked this in Firefox and it too stops at around 2 inches.

I prefered IE6's smaller width

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

We have received a few customer complaints that the mimimum dialog size is too large.

For RTM, we reduced the minimum content height that can be set via script to 100 pixels instead of 150 pixels. A user can resize the window slightly smaller than this, though.

This restores the IE6 behavior.

• User profile image
    Rossj

I'd point out that ALL (well Safari and FF) have minimum sizes too, and it does sort of make sense.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    I'd point out that ALL (well Safari and FF) have minimum sizes too, and it does sort of make sense.

...aren't minimim sizes a 'feature' of Widnows's windowing system? I can't get Notepad smaller than 1.2 inches

• User profile image
    jamie

W3bbo wrote:

Rossj wrote: I'd point out that ALL (well Safari and FF) have minimum sizes too, and it does sort of make sense.

...aren't minimim sizes a 'feature' of Widnows's windowing system? I can't get Notepad smaller than 1.2 inches

here's notepad, word, outlook, photoshop - all smaller than ie

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Here's what Outlook 2007 Beta 2 (Technical Refresh), notepad, Word, and IE7's minimum sizes look like in Vista Beta build 5728:

I'd put Photo Shop up there, but I don't own it. Sad

• User profile image
    jamie

sorry to bump this back - but i wanted to end with one simple thought:
    both the Windows Photo Gallery and IE are viewer applications - you view photos or you view webpages.

Their first and foremost function is displaying of content - in a window.  In Windows.

Im glad to hear (according to bruce) the ie issue has been fixed.  Still never heard a word about the biggest offender which is photo gallery (viewer) 640px smallest width.

*and kudos to IEteam for using C9 to provide info back without forcing people to use Make a wish, or some other feedback submission tool.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    Im glad to hear (according to bruce) the ie issue has been fixed.  Still never heard a word about the biggest offender which is photo gallery (viewer) 640px smallest width.

If you give me a link to the bug you filed on this issue, I will vote & validate.

• User profile image
    jamie

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=233631

Disclaimer:
    * yes i post bugs I find here on c9 - for community review - with screenshots - where people I know and respect can comment on them.  We'll have to agree to disagree on what the best method of submitting bugs is.  I prefer a graphical conversation in a browser - using C9 as a front end.  Just cant get into outlook express style newsgroups - and i also think c9 should be the frontend to all developer interaction - so i use it as such to promote that idea - one that unfortunately for some - is viewed as incorrect.

I intentionally post anything to do with ms interaction.....here.
    *yes per thread polling is missing - but hey ive gone on about that too

(one site to rule them all - and all that! Wink)

PS - if new c9 site has tags for "bug" or "issue" along with product tags - i would use them.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I'm not talking about the newsgroups. I'm talking about the Microsoft Beta Client. So that they end up under the "Feedback" section on Connect.

For IE bugs, we know some members of the IE team read C9 so it'll probably work just posting the issues here. For the other product teams, we don't know that. The MBC is the only way you know for certain that the relevant product team gets to see your bug. If you don't use it, you have no right to complain it doesn't get fixed or that you receive no feedback on it.

Imho, the technical beta program isn't there to get an early look at the product, or to get freebies. It's there so we can provide feedback to MS in the manner which they, not we, prefer. For the Windows betas that means the Microsoft Beta Client.

If all you want to do is see what it's like and maybe rant on a public forum about it where someone who can actually fix it may (but likely won't) see your feedback, then use the public previews. That's not what the technical beta program is for.

Just my 2c.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Sven Groot wrote:
    so we can provide feedback to MS in the manner which they, not we, prefer.

I don't have a problem with jamie or anyone else, complaining about the wider issues like UAC or WGA or DRM or Licensing here on C9...that's great to have a larger discussion on the big issues 

BUT yes if it is something specific like a bug about window re-sizing, do yourself and other window(s)Wink users a favor and go file the bug.

Doesn't take much effort. You don't do it for every issue you have with windows, but if you want the small stuff to get noticed, send it to 'em directly.

Just my 0.5 cents:)

• User profile image
    jamie

it's not a bug though. it is designed that way. it is on purpose.

almost everything i do post - is more issue related than specific bug related.

if the window blue screened on resize - thats a bug.
    if its designed incorrectly (opinion) - that's a conversation

edit: just like list view being removed due to the new Zoom Slider UI widget - well this app has suffered a similar Slider fate ( the zoom needs a 0 point - and ms obviously came up with 640px as 0 )

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Even if it was designed that way, if you don't think it should behave that way, you should file an issue about it.

• User profile image
    jamie

Some recent "opinion" related posts: 

- the purple screen on new My Computer
    - taskbar preview in aero / fanning out windows instead of click
    - Fitt's law brian shapiro thread - all ie's problems (opinion) argued under this
    - getting aero running with extra card along side main agp/pcie card
    - vista wireless - forgets own working settings after a few days
    - ie7 vs firefox screencast: editing blog on wordpress (excessive security)
    - vista start menu - icon transition too slow, list of text too
      similar without small icons (my comp, pictures...)

none are really bugs. most cant be "replicated".  most are observations needing others to verify 

* i do file them... here.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

do both and you'll be my hero

• User profile image
    jamie

...I can see it now:

Wink

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    DMassy

I like it Smiley

This topic was blogged about on th eIE team blog just last week http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/09/19/761272.aspx so you can get details of the recent change there.

Thanks
    -Dave

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.