Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Have Fun Targeting This Architecture

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Yes, I know. This was already /. 'ed.

Intel Pledges 80 Cores in Five Years

News.com wrote:
    SAN FRANCISCO--Intel has built a prototype of a processor with 80 cores that can perform a trillion floating-point operations per second.
    Imagine the fun you can have with the type of concurrency involved with these cores. Kidding! Assuming this actually ships (it might not), I imagine this would pretty much put the Windows division into a tailspin.

• User profile image
    dahat

mmm... 80 instances of Seti@home

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I don't read /. but I saw it in my feed reader already.

Sounds like fun to me.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Let's just hope they can make a BUS to support these...

• User profile image
    cheong

Jack Poison wrote:

Let's just hope they can make a BUS to support these...

Perheps they'll just implement some sort of BUS inside the CPU for those cores to communicate, and each core will have 16MB cache... just like a "computer inside computer"... and the cores should have low utilization all the time...

Btw, Why does it say 80 and not 64? I thought these "core numbers" ought to be the power of two...

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

Not necessarily - if the Xbox 360 can have 3 cores, why can't intel make 80?

• User profile image
    Sabot

80 Cores! Really!

The serious issue is going to be IO bandwidth, a 1 Ghz bus isn't going to cut it.

If these machines can be produced cheaply ... then I predict the mainframe will finally die.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sabot wrote:
    80 Cores! Really!

The serious issue is going to be IO bandwidth, a 1 Ghz bus isn't going to cut it.

If these machines can be produced cheaply ... then I predict the mainframe will finally die.

The mainframe is already dead (well, should be dead, if it weren't for Baby-boomer aged devvies who can't face losing their precious COBOL), we've got Beowulf and Cluster Computing, there's no need for monolithic dinosaurs anymore.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    Assuming this actually ships (it might not), I imagine this would pretty much put the Windows division into a tailspin.

Definitely. Currently, Windows uses a word-sized bitmask for processor affinity, meaning 32 bit Windows can technically support at most 32 logical processors, and 64 bit Windows at most 64. Currently, the only edition that actually supports the maximum number is Datacenter Edition.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

W3bbo wrote:

Sabot wrote: 80 Cores! Really!

The mainframe is already dead (well, should be dead, if it weren't for Baby-boomer aged devvies who can't face losing their precious COBOL), we've got Beowulf and Cluster Computing, there's no need for monolithic dinosaurs anymore.

Bankers are still counting ROI on big iron and laughing at us.

But I otherwise agree completely.

Will these 80 cores be firing lasers at each other or just melting copper slowly under a light-wieght oil?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.