Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

So what is the use of paper anymore?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

Hi

I was talking to a friend of mine. And he says that academic circles are now relying on email to communicate with students than to send out letters in paper form. They say this is one step to make sure that no more trees are cut down,a nd that the technology and the internet opened a way to send communication fastly and secure without the use of paper. Howerver still the universities use paper to issue certificates and other official legal documents. (electronic certificates soon?)

Will we see the day when kids no longer have to buy papers? and only buy a notebook with a plastic ink-less pen and scripple on top of an electronic surface? Will there be no more books in the way we know? Will it all be electronic PDF books and the likes?

As I reflect on the past, I see that we are moving towards a "Star Trek" world, where technolgy is goign to become the new age of communication and of fun.  Students will no longer carry books in their backbag, or anything like that. Most will carry a small wightless notebook with an inkless plastic pen.

What are your thoughts on this? Bill Gates ones said in a C9 video that this will be the future by say 2010. I am still accustomed to feeling the books in my hands and flipping pages, now I find myself  flipping pages in a simulation of a book in my notebook. Not only that , now you can read books written in different language, thanks to translation matrix softwares that translate books in the fly. I guess the old days are over and the trees will live longer at last.

Now where is my food replicator?Cool

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

If I had a tablet, it sure would save me a lot of erasers...  but that's an awfully high price to pay to save on 10 cent erasers.  Tongue Out

I like paper.  I'm sure I'd like a tablet, but I'll be keeping my laptop around for a while now before I replace it, so I don't know when I'll go all-digital for my notes.

Teachers do use email for communication with students exclusively now at my school, and I even have a couple teachers who put up electronic class notes.  I always end up printing them out.

BTW, I haven't seen anyone on my campus that actually uses a tablet in their classes.  Wink

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I've barely used any paper since I got my Motion LE1600 TabletPC this spring. No paper on my desk at work; all my D&D stuff is in OneNote, including scanned books; I've been reading classics like Moby Dick from Project Gutenberg in portrait-mode.

My only problem is the pricing of some e-books. Some of them I see the paper version as being, say $13, then I go to the e-book version.....$13. Kind of silly to me. Sell for a lot cheaper. The people that make the D&D Dragon magazine have PDF versions of their out of print titles for only $2 a pop. That's the way to go.

• User profile image
    figuerres

SecretSoftware wrote:
       Hi

I was talking to a friend of mine. And he says that academic circles are now relying on email to communicate with students than to send out letters in paper form. They say this is one step to make sure that no more trees are cut down,a nd that the technology and the internet opened a way to send communication fastly and secure without the use of paper. Howerver still the universities use paper to issue certificates and other official legal documents. (electronic certificates soon?)

Will we see the day when kids no longer have to buy papers? and only buy a notebook with a plastic ink-less pen and scripple on top of an electronic surface? Will there be no more books in the way we know? Will it all be electronic PDF books and the likes?

As I reflect on the past, I see that we are moving towards a "Star Trek" world, where technolgy is goign to become the new age of communication and of fun.  Students will no longer carry books in their backbag, or anything like that. Most will carry a small wightless notebook with an inkless plastic pen.

What are your thoughts on this? Bill Gates ones said in a C9 video that this will be the future by say 2010. I am still accustomed to feeling the books in my hands and flipping pages, now I find myself  flipping pages in a simulation of a book in my notebook. Not only that , now you can read books written in different language, thanks to translation matrix softwares that translate books in the fly. I guess the old days are over and the trees will live longer at last.

Now where is my food replicator?

I'd like to see the "paperless" but the book still has some things that we can't do yet....

like the feel of a real book - the leather and paper of a good old-style book.

power -- books do not need wires or batteries.

print - we need thin lightweight screens that are at least 200-300 dpi -- 400-600 would be ideal.  so that the print density of a book can be duplicated on a screen, and images and line art for some books.

flexible -- we do not (yet) have a "magazine" like format that you can rollup / fold  etc...

like say the global link from earth final conflict?

a screen that can expand out to some good size while reading but fold up /  rollup to be portable / stowable.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Harlequin wrote:
    I've barely used any paper since I got my Motion LE1600 TabletPC this spring. No paper on my desk at work; all my D&D stuff is in OneNote, including scanned books; I've been reading classics like Moby Dick from Project Gutenberg in portrait-mode.

My only problem is the pricing of some e-books. Some of them I see the paper version as being, say $13, then I go to the e-book version.....$13. Kind of silly to me. Sell for a lot cheaper. The people that make the D&D Dragon magazine have PDF versions of their out of print titles for only $2 a pop. That's the way to go.

I think hardware is going to go alot cheaper because of the invention of many organic chemists. The development of new polymers of Carbon that can act as molecular resistants will lower hardware prices significantly. So I think that fact that schools now are telling their students to use email and to go high tech is because learning is going to be online most of the time. Maybe even there will be virtual lecture halls and you can join in from anywhere in the world or from your bed at home( if your that lazy). And also Professors can record their lecture material and go do research, and students can later email questions reguarding the lecture material. This will make it more efficient to establish study groups and the likes. Some of my friends are already developing such virtual lecture halls and doing some testing. SO the future is bright and I like it. Now you can cut down on the spending for transportation to go to class and just join the virtual class room or lecture hall on your notebook which is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

First of all, I'm not wiping my äss with a TabletPC. Second, paper has a certain touch and smell you can't replace. Third, it doesn't need electricity to run. And I also think technology is not yet at the level of paper/pencil interaction (resolution, pressure-sensitivity, ...) But I'm waiting for the day it does.

• User profile image
    jolson88

TommyCarlier wrote:
    First of all, I'm not wiping my äss with a TabletPC.

LOL. That has to earn _some_ type of Quote Of The Day award. I can only imagine the consequences of doing so with a Dell laptop and a malfunctioning battery. OUCH.

Now for something completely different....

I don't know what it is, but I actually prefer writing my notes on a pad of paper. Sure, they're not "searchable", but if the notes are really important, then they make their way into Outlook or some other "I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached' software (what can I say, I'm just that kind of person Tongue Out).

I guess maybe it's the tactile nature of taking notes on a pad of paper. At one point in a prior job, I actually had a TabletPC and _never_ used it for not taking. I just never liked it. My tablet ended up in laptop mode all the time and out came the pad of paper when I need to take notes. I'll be the first to admit though how FAR tablets have come. Simply amazing, at times!

• User profile image
    Massif

SecretSoftware wrote:
      Now where is my food replicator?

Well, not only is this a use for paper - but it's here.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

If tablets become affordable here in Europe, I might just get one at some point and stop using paper to write down all sort of scribbles.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Third, it doesn't need electricity to run.

True, but it takes a lot of trees, electricity, diesel and aircraft fuel to make.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Well, you can't do this yet with a TabletPC. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Paper airplanes is where its at brother! Smiley

• User profile image
    Harlequin

LaBomba wrote:
    Paper airplanes is where its at brother!

If my Tablet didn't cost so much, I'm sure it could wing it out the window pretty far Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

I like paper for handing work into teachers and keeping a record of it, but I also like having files with all my work on.

I know that in the UK you can even receive exam results via e-mail, giving you more information on things such as how close you were to a grade boundary, etc.

Many businesses have become "paper light", but I doubt we will become completely paperless for a long time.

Documents are useful if they are not on a computer as when there is a power cut and an important document needs to be looked at, one would turn to a paper copy; I would probably like to hand in some of my work at school via e-mail, or other "online" method, but for many pieces of work it is more practical to just take a paper copy into school.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Refrax

welcome to the paperless society, please fill in all forms in triplicate

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

LaBomba wrote:
    Paper airplanes is where its at brother!

The mother of all paper airplanes! Big Smile Plus translation.

It's from Read or Die.

• User profile image
    raymond

TommyCarlier wrote:
    First of all, I'm not wiping my äss with a TabletPC. Second, paper has a certain touch and smell you can't replace. Third, it doesn't need electricity to run. And I also think technology is not yet at the level of paper/pencil interaction (resolution, pressure-sensitivity, ...) But I'm waiting for the day it does.

Channel 9 on a Roll:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=238396Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.