Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Channel 9 On A Roll

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    raymond

Rumors in Redmond are that Channel 9 plans to rollout a newsletter next year especially aimed for increasing face time with developers and architects.

According to a new source at Channel 9 the newsletter will be named Refactoring Roll.

The first issue will feature pattern and practice code snippets in both C# and VB.NET for the recently released Mobile Client Software Factory.

Developers coding applications that interface with back-end systems, should check the first issue out.

Channel 10 is also rolling out a companion newletter aimed at the IT Professional called Installation.

Both newletters while differing in content due to their different target audiences will be published on a new innovative medium developed by Microsoft Research.

This new medium code named Rolling Thunder is environmentally safe, biodegradeable, non-toxic and reusable.

http://www.printedtp.com/

Microsoft is partnering with a number of OEM manufacturers to integrate the new medium with hardware to develop a very special rss 2.0 newsfeed printer.

http://www.djspyhunter.com/teapot/2005/12/rsstroom-reader-toilet-paper-printer.html

I hope you can hold your passion for new technology in check.

Got to go.

Cool

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Okay, who else thinks that Raymond has a mole inside building 18? Damn you Raymond, this is how you scored the $10 bet with everybody - you knew, you knew all along! You and your 'man on the inside'.

But for real now, this sounds cool. I would enjoy a newsletter from c9 on a regular basis. I actually requested something like this months ago Smiley

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Where to sign up for the newsletter?

"Rolling Thunder" is already in use: http://www.rollthunder.com/

David Platt will gladly accept royalties for its use, I'd imagine.

I chafe and rash easily, so no soy ink on my bum; though the technology is admirable.

Wink

• User profile image
    jolson88

On printed TP? That just begs for a "wiping" analogy.

[JimCareyFace]

Oh no! They're on to us!!!!

[/JimCareyFace]

Oh noes! Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Jason,

Two things. One, your markup is funky Smiley I believe you meant <JimCareyFace>, and not [JimCareyFace]. I believe that would generate an error or be taken as a literal - but I dunno Smiley

Secondly, where's your microsoft stamp!? I just noticed that you are a blue-badge, yet you don't have the branding beneath your avatar? Whazzup with that, man?

Jonathan

JasonOlson wrote:

On printed TP? That just begs for a "wiping" analogy.

[JimCareyFace]

Oh no! They're on to us!!!!

[/JimCareyFace]

Oh noes!

• User profile image
    jolson88

jsampsonPC wrote:

Jason,

Two things. One, your markup is funky I believe you meant <JimCareyFace>, and not [JimCareyFace]. I believe that would generate an error or be taken as a literal - but I dunno

Secondly, where's your microsoft stamp!? I just noticed that you are a blue-badge, yet you don't have the branding beneath your avatar? Whazzup with that, man?

Jonathan

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the proper XML would come across without being hidden. Why am I not surprised that one of the Niners would call me on this Smiley. Man, I LOVE geeks Tongue Out.

As for the Microsoft stamp, I have an email into the team about that. I just joined Microsoft three months ago or so and wasn't very "active" on the C9 forums before that. Regardless, you can expect to hear a lot more from me in the future Smiley.

And I'm going to do my best to try to get other Microsofties to become active members of the C9 community as well. I figure that the more Microsofties we can get on here, the better we can help with the transparency Smiley.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

We niners can be pretty friendly, but at the same time there are small pools of people here who are a bit caustic and, at times, unnecessarily over-passionate (Angry?) when discussing things with Softies - hopefully we can still get more blue-badges here.

It is always awesome to speak with the badges themselves. Some of the favorites are people like Dave Massy - he seems to be a really reachable guy, and extremely humble for his position.

JasonOlson wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote: 

Jason,

Two things. One, your markup is funky I believe you meant <JimCareyFace>, and not [JimCareyFace]. I believe that would generate an error or be taken as a literal - but I dunno

Jonathan

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the proper XML would come across without being hidden. Why am I not surprised that one of the Niners would call me on this . Man, I LOVE geeks .

As for the Microsoft stamp, I have an email into the team about that. I just joined Microsoft three months ago or so and wasn't very "active" on the C9 forums before that. Regardless, you can expect to hear a lot more from me in the future .

And I'm going to do my best to try to get other Microsofties to become active members of the C9 community as well. I figure that the more Microsofties we can get on here, the better we can help with the transparency .

• User profile image
    DarthVista

All hail Mr. Olson!

• User profile image
    jolson88

You're certainly right about that jsampsonPC. No matter how "hot and bothered" (is that work safe?) people get though, it shows just how much passion you guys have. Sure, it may not be the most constructive at times, but it's certainly fun, entertaining, and educational Smiley.

Sometimes, we just have to be able to laugh at ourselves. I'm sure many on this board would laugh at the fact that I have a Borg cube as my background just to have some fun (although if any other MS employees read this, I will passionately dissavow any knowledge or insight into any questionable desktop wallpaper I may or may not have).

DarthVista wrote:

All hail Mr. Olson!

There's no need for that DarthVista. I'm a plain-Jane geek just like all of you. I like writing code, I like watching C9 videos, and I like watching Stargate SG1 (and Atlantis for that sake). I love Star Trek: TNG and the original Star Wars trilogy.

Yup, nothing to see here, move right along. Of course, if you don't like anything above and try to make fun of me, I do have my trusty little ZPM-powered friend that I can come visit your place of residence with Tongue Out.

• User profile image
    cheong

Does they also plan to change all the rolls to that?

It'll be funny. XD

P.S.: What? 2-ply only? I hope the paper is thick enough... Tongue Out

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    raymond

cheong wrote:
    Does they also plan to change all the rolls to that?

It'll be funny. XD

P.S.: What? 2-ply only? I hope the paper is thick enough...

JavaScript, Ruby, Python, D: Roll Your Own
    VB.NET: 2-ply
    C#: 1-ply
    C++: water
    Java: out-of-stock
    Assembly: out-of-luck

Cool

• User profile image
    Rory

JasonOlson wrote:
    I like watching Stargate SG1 (and Atlantis for that sake).

Dork.

• User profile image
    jolson88

Rory wrote:

JasonOlson wrote: I like watching Stargate SG1 (and Atlantis for that sake).

Dork.

Cow Dung.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Are we talking a "paper" newsletter, or is it something I can subscribe to RSS or is it an emailer?

• User profile image
    LaBomba

JasonOlson wrote:

Rory wrote: 

Dork.

Cow Dung.

+1

• User profile image
    raymond

POW WOW: the largest circulating daily underground newspaper in Germany during World War II

http://www.merkki.com/powwow.htm

For you history buffs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper

and South Park fans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_Paper_%28South_Park_episode%29

Tips and Tricks for Geeks 
    http://www.theshorthorn.com/new/archives/2006/fall/090806/o03.asp

• User profile image
    Rory

JasonOlson wrote:

Rory wrote: 

Dork.

Cow Dung.

Dude.

Grow up, dude.

If we're going to share a floor in building 18, you're going to have to learn how to get along with me.

Remember: there's no "Jason" in "Team." Unless the word is "Tejasonam" in which case I stand corrected. In that instance, the word "Jason" does appear inside the word "team," but...

Oh, shut up.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

But you can get "Tea" from "Tejasonam", and you can also get "Samoan", too...

So I forward the new definition of "Tejasonam" to be "A group of crack-addicted, tea-drinking, samoan's from building 18."

Rory wrote:
    ...Remember: there's no "Jason" in "Team." Unless the word is "Tejasonam" in which case I stand corrected. In that instance, the word "Jason" does appear inside the word "team," but...

Oh, shut up.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.