Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

what source control do you use mostly?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ion Todirel

in Visual Studio 2005 of course Tongue Out or other IDE's?

• littleguru

Sourcesafe. I know it's not the best one, but it's OK for my needs.

• Rotem Kirshenbaum

VSS & SVN (Tortoise).

Rotem

• Ion Todirel

littleguru wrote:
    Sourcesafe. I know it's not the best one, but it's OK for my needs.
    same here, i don't have any reason to use it, i want to try other, but Visual Studio 2005 integration is a requirement.
    Rotem Kirshenbaum wrote:
    SVN (Tortoise).

Rotem
    in Visual Studio 2005?

• Dr Herbie

VSS looking at upgrading to TFS at work (when we get the time to sort out the installations, etc).

Herbie

• Erisan

Git

• Arran

We have been using Team Foundation Server for coming up to a year now.  No issues with it at all, even moved from Betas to RTM without a problem.

• Custa1200

We use SVN via TortoiseSVN and ankhSVN inside of VS2003/2005. Works a treat.

• Custa1200

Ion Todirel wrote:

littleguru wrote:Sourcesafe. I know it's not the best one, but it's OK for my needs.
    same here, i don't have any reason to use it, i want to try other, but Visual Studio 2005 integration is a requirement.
    Rotem Kirshenbaum wrote:SVN (Tortoise).

Rotem
    in Visual Studio 2005?

Yup we use it on a 2000+ file, 25 project Solution consisting of a mix of ASP.NET Web Application Project's, C# and VB class libraries as well using both AnkhSVN and TortoiseSVN . We are also looking to migrate to TFS, but SVN has been an integral part of our shop for more than a year now. Took a while to convince the powers that be we should move away from VSS, but we would not have been able to develop the way we have without it.

If TFS did not have a similar model as SVN it probably wouldn't even come up in conversations. I can't speak highly enough of SVN

• blowdart

I dispise tortoise for it's never ending integration into the shell. I don't want 25 context menu items added for everything including the recycle bin.

Morons the lot of them.

• ben2004uk

blowdart wrote:
    I dispise tortoise for it's never ending integration into the shell. I don't want 25 context menu items added for everything including the recycle bin.

Morons the lot of them.

I use VSS (Personal) & SVN (Tortoise) (MbUnit work) and I know what you mean about the 25 context menu items,  but it is customizeable - i've got one in the main menu and then sub with all the others - get used to it. 

• JPeless

SourceGear's Vault, free for single user...integration with VS and stand-alone client also.

• Rossj

Perforce is also available for 1 or 2 developers for free.

• JasonOlson

Custa1200 wrote:
    We use SVN via TortoiseSVN and ankhSVN inside of VS2003/2005. Works a treat.

QFT. This is exactly what I use for my personal source control. VSS is well, VSS. TFS is just too bulky and heavy. I have heard that VSS 2005 does contain actual improvements to VSS though.

• Ang3lFir3

JasonOlson wrote:

Custa1200 wrote: We use SVN via TortoiseSVN and ankhSVN inside of VS2003/2005. Works a treat.

QFT. This is exactly what I use for my personal source control. VSS is well, VSS. TFS is just too bulky and heavy. I have heard that VSS 2005 does contain actual improvements to VSS though.

VSS 2005 (what our shop currently uses.. most likely moving to TFS tho) is indeed improved over VSS. However its still VSS.... it accomplishes our initial goals... but we have quickly outgrown it.

• jbwebb

Does anyone use ClearCase?

The many and varied ways that it plays "hide the code" are entertaining if nothing else..

• j0217995

Baazar and SVN for different documentation projects I work on.

• Sampy

We're TFS now that I'm here Smiley

They weren't planning on moving to it anyway. No sir.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.