Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Gates: Microsoft to offer anti-spyware

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Gates said Microsoft will offer software to detect malicious applications and that the company will keep it up-to-date on an ongoing basis. He did not say when the software would be available or whether Microsoft would charge for it.

Although progress is being made against spam and viruses, Gates said the adware and malware problem is getting worse.

"This malware thing is so bad," he said in a speech at the Computer History Museum here. "Now that's the one that has us really needing to jump in."

It's also a problem that has affected Gates personally. He said his home PCs have had malware, although he has personally never been affected by a virus.

"I have had malware, (adware), that crap" on some home machines, he said.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5393208.html 

hooray! thank you ms!

• User profile image
    fdezjose

Great! , I hope it comes out soon.

• User profile image
    Manip

If I was a multi-trillionaire or whatever Gates is I would want to give out such software too. AdAware is 'ok' but not wonderful, the GUI is getting fatter and fatter and they are doing more and more to force people to buy the pro versions. You also can't automate the detection and updates with it.

PS $10,000 says it is XP only..

• User profile image
    manickernel

That's great, but...

With the impending onslaught of GDI viruses WUS is imperative. I thought I was protected by the patches released via SUS on our network, then did a little more investigation and realized we still have a problem there Houston... and no way to stop it in a reasonable manner. What do I do when it comes? In our case I will implement shutdown.

WUS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have to have it.

Stephto, what do you say?

• User profile image
    Manip

Is that problem that Office update isn't out via SUS and "other software" (VB6, VS.net etc etc) are not patched?

• User profile image
    Simo

I have never understood why the anti-virus companies (Symantec, etc) haven't stepped up to the mark.

Surely it's an opportunity to bring a whole new suite of functionality.

It's like they look down on spyware/malware with disdain and consider it not worthy problem for their intellectual pursuits.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Actually, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i can detect certain types of malware.

• User profile image
    eagle

We call it “adware” and “spyware” but to some it’s an ad campaign, they think they are just “buying time” and "eyeballs" on the internet.

• User profile image
    sbc

If Microsoft charged for an antivirus or anti-spam software package then they would be admitting Windows has faults. i.e. you buy Windows, then you buy additional software to protect the users from malware/viruses. That does not really say much for the quality of the software.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

manickernel wrote:
    That's great, but...

With the impending onslaught of GDI viruses WUS is imperative. I thought I was protected by the patches released via SUS on our network, then did a little more investigation and realized we still have a problem there Houston... and no way to stop it in a reasonable manner. What do I do when it comes? In our case I will implement shutdown.

WUS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have to have it.

Stephto, what do you say?

DAMN SKIPPY. WUS would effectively "solve" this in terms of frontline defense for sysadmins.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I think Microsoft should be sueing the malware developers. There are companies out there making loads of money from writing this software that no one actually wants. In effect polluting the ecosystem of the Windows platform and ruining the user experiance for millions. As creator of othe platform MS should have the right and responsibility to protect the users from malicous software.
    If you can go around sueing spammers for unsolicited email you surely must be able to sue malware creators for unsolicted and invasive software.

• User profile image
    Cider

I think the biggest danger with Microsoft doing anti-spyware is that THEY could get sued for doing it.

If a piece of software is "ad supported", and Microsoft makes a piece of software which removes that advert, they might be sued by the software manufacturers and/or the likes of Gator/Claria.

A bigger problem for this software would be if Microsoft tried to head this problem off and try to make a difference between "ad software" and malware...

• User profile image
    jamie

MS - please make this service free - as there is not much left of your foot

• User profile image
    jamie

• User profile image
    earnshaw

Okay.  Some some "entrepreneur" decides to plaster my computer with advertising that his clients pay to put on the Internet.  Since when is the Internet supposed to be an advertising medium -- especially a PUSH advertising medium -- where the user is exposed to advertising without asking for it?  If the entrepreneur's business model depends on an exploit of weaknesses in Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft decides to fortify Windows to eliminate the weaknesses, how is the entrepreneur going to counter Microsoft's action?  In the courts?  I think not.  The entrepreneur has been able to sell advertising because of the weaknesses.  But there is no guarantee those weaknesses will persist.  They are not operating system features.  They are inadvertencies and oversights.  Should the entrepreneur's business model break down because Microsoft fixes their software, then he can seek to make money some other way.  He didn't contract with Microsoft, as far as I know, to open the world's computers to him for fun and profit.  As for selling software with "ad support," go  another route to sell it -- eBay for example.   Furthermore, this Adware/Spyware crap is software from an unknown source performing undefined actions on my computer for the benefit of another.  The individual responsible for this unconscionable behavior should be sued for stealing resources from my property without my written permission, whoever and wherever they may be. 

• User profile image
    jamie

haha  - ok ok! Smiley

ps.. maybe the person responsible is osama.. that would explain alot..

• User profile image
    jamie

I guess we'll have to wait to see if they charge for it

• User profile image
    wisetothewo​rld

You my friend are onto something.

The largest spware company in the world and possibly malware is Microsoft itself.

For example I downloaded Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer and I can't get it off my machine. It I consider to be a form of malware and a nusiannce. Also uninstalling MSN totally off the system and out of the registry is a nusiance.

But here is the spyware kicker my friend.

Go to your windows/prefetch folder and everything you do on your system is there. Get freaked and look at your layout.* file. Go ahead and peruse all your paths you have been recently on your system.
    To top it off let the WKUfind execute file zap everything you do on your system into the internet into Microsoft hands.

Then the next thing you can do is go to your temporary internet files and look at your index.dat file and everywhere you have been on the internet will be sitting there. All the pictures you have downloaded ,movies,music,software etc. Try deleting it, sorry no go as you will find out quickly.

Next you can see some NTuser files on your system that cannot be viewed into and let me tell you they contain a lot of your user movement.

Then if you have XML installed that gets zapped into Microsofts hands right away as coding of your machine name with plenty of data into an extended markup language format in the form of a rogue webpage.

And there are plenty of other compressed files also that offer a lot of tasty information about your computer.

SO who really has the largest spyware distribution in the world.

Well it was purposely done that way and just wait till longhorn comes out and you won't be able to detect anything being pryed upon.

Anyhow, add what you know about the largest spyware and malware company in the world.

Happy Computing,

Wisetotheworld

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.