Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

VS2005 SP1 Testers: Is it faster?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    stun

Those of you testing out the VS2005 SP1 beta version,
    are there any significant speed up in performance?

Compared to VS2003, I hated VS2005 for being so slow.
    I hope they did make it faster.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

The winforms designer is a LOT faster.

• User profile image
    stun

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    The winforms designer is a LOT faster.

How about in terms of switching between different ASP.NET Web Forms?
    How about start up and shutdown times as well?

• User profile image
    irascian

For me there are three things I'd really like to see fixed in this release

1) the "lockout" that can last between 30 seconds and 2 minutes when you click on an aspx form template or an xml file

2) the "hourglass from hell/ totally unresponding instance of VS 2005" that seems to crop up about once a day. Some times you get an annoying taskbar tooltop saying VS2005 is busy and if the problem persists you should report it, most of the time you don't and after 10 minutes you realise you really are going to have to use Task Manager to get your environment back.

3) Faster tidying up of those red squiggly error lines. You can open a file and have all these errors signalled and then a minute or two later they suddenly disappear.

Other than that it's pretty peachy.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

VS 2005 can start very fast if you disable the start page.
    Select 'Emtpy environment' in the general settings.

• User profile image
    Red5

irascian wrote:
    For me there are three things I'd really like to see fixed in this release

1) the "lockout" that can last between 30 seconds and 2 minutes when you click on an aspx form template or an xml file

2) the "hourglass from hell/ totally unresponding instance of VS 2005" that seems to crop up about once a day. Some times you get an annoying taskbar tooltop saying VS2005 is busy and if the problem persists you should report it, most of the time you don't and after 10 minutes you realise you really are going to have to use Task Manager to get your environment back.

3) Faster tidying up of those red squiggly error lines. You can open a file and have all these errors signalled and then a minute or two later they suddenly disappear.

Other than that it's pretty peachy.

I'll second that.

• User profile image
    John Galt

The code Editor is STILL BRUTALLY slow on large files as code behinds for Winforms.

But it is better than it was. I can actually turn on line wrap now...

• User profile image
    Klaus Enevoldsen

On my centrino 1.8ghz laptop the installation process took about an hour, but it was well worth it.

The windows installer told be to uninstall Web Projects before installing the service pack, but I don't see the menu items for adding new web projects anymore, could be a bug. I will check it out and report it to Microsoft (support for Web projects should be in SP1).

The UI it much more responsive in VB, and IntelliSense is much faster, I even think that it builds faster, can it be possible?

I don't know if I dare turning "edit and continue" back on again... :O

So far only positive experiences from me.

We have a solution with 30+ projects, mainly VB but a few in C#, I don't know how many lines of code but we have been working on it for 1-2 years (3 men).

• User profile image
    stun

ZippyV wrote:
    VS 2005 can start very fast if you disable the start page.
    Select 'Emtpy environment' in the general settings.

1) I have an empty startup environment
    2) I also have the Splash screen disabled for VS2005
    3) I also have some other settings like Dynamic Help and etc disabled as well

Whenever you make a COLD start of VS2005, it is still very slow compared to the VS 2003.
    I found some tricks around to this tho.

If you clean out these from the Windows Registry settings, it starts up faster a bit.

1) File MRU List
    2) Find + Replace history

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

linux_guru wrote:
    Question:  Does it work?  According to this, Visual Studio 2005 will have Vista compatibility issues out of the box and Visual Studio 2003/2002 will not even be supported on Vista (though VB6 will for some reason).  With backwards compatibility like this, you've got to ask yourselves why so many here believe that Vista is going to be such a slam dunk.  If they have to replace all of their applications anyway... why not free yourself of those Microsoft shackles and go Linux?
    I'm actually glad I never bought Visual Studio version [pick a year]. So I wonder if this will also break SharpDevelop, and I can only imagine that my Borland C++ Builder 6.0 wouldn't even work at all.

Wow. I'm sure lots of IT departments across the nation would love to shell out more money for new versions of Visual Studio.

That Blog wrote:
    You can continue to use Visual Studio .NET 2002 or 2003 on Windows XP to develop applications that can run on Windows Vista.
    Does anybody else thing that is a really whacked way of doing things?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

jsrfc58 wrote:

That Blog wrote:You can continue to use Visual Studio .NET 2002 or 2003 on Windows XP to develop applications that can run on Windows Vista.
    Does anybody else thing that is a really whacked way of doing things?

Not really, it's pragmatic. You know, doing what must be done to get something to market by a given deadline?

VS is a complex product, but the software that it produces is often less complex.  Therefore while VS might have issues, the output won't.  Seems pretty logical to me.

Herbie

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Not really, it's pragmatic. You know, doing what must be done to get something to market by a given deadline?

VS is a complex product, but the software that it produces is often less complex.  Therefore while VS might have issues, the output won't.  Seems pretty logical to me.
    I can see your point...am perhaps those issues will be addressed in a service pack down the road. I remember that uninstalling Borland Builder was sometimes a strange experience because my system was usually never quite the same afterwards. I know they are under immense pressure to put out their products, however.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I know they are doing a lot of Vista Compat testing over there to try and root out the problems of running VS on Vista.

As far as running it on XP, I saw some really cool perf boosts in the VB compiler before I left. Things that were taking seconds before are now down to under 1 second.

I have a few bug fixes myself in SP1. It's good stuff.

• User profile image
    DarthVista

linux_guru wrote:
    * DarthVista... you should be taking notes.  Herbie really has outclassed anything I've ever seen you produce with this particular post.
    I try to take notes from the best of them, although Scoble let me down a few times. I will address further elements of the rogue OpenOffice software suite this weekend. Then, I'll step it up and turn to actual software development issues.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

linux_guru wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:Not really, it's pragmatic. You know, doing what must be done to get something to market by a given deadline?

Just for that, I'm to make you an official Junior G-Man Microsoft Apologist Badge that you can wear around town and/or use as your avatar here.  That sir was a wonderful example* of sticking your head so far up Microsoft's arse, that nobody knows where they end and you begin.  Your badge will be ready by the end of the day.

* DarthVista... you should be taking notes.  Herbie really has outclassed anything I've ever seen you produce with this particular post.

I have lost the urge to communicate with you since Sampy provided alternative entertainment.

Bye, I'm going home to my wife and kids. Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    Sabot

Lets get back on topic ... lets not get distracted with another OSS/Linux debate!

• User profile image
    phreaks

In my experience so far with SP1 beta, not only do designers load faster, but the footprint of VS.Net has improved immensly.

My Average footprint was 200+ megs, it is now only consuming about 32 megs.

whipiee!

• User profile image
    Zeus

phreaks wrote:
    In my experience so far with SP1 beta, not only do designers load faster, but the footprint of VS.Net has improved immensly.

My Average footprint was 200+ megs, it is now only consuming about 32 megs.

whipiee!
    WOW  ...  that sounds great !

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.