Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows DRM cracked. Again.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Looks like he has done it again. The latest IBX has been cracked, and I am starting to wonder if it is even possible to ship a succesful DRM solution any more, there must be a limited number of ways to obscure the information.

What I was surprised about was the assertion from Microsoft that he had broken into Microsoft's system in order to obtain information on cracking the DRM.  Is that an honest belief or an attempt to make him appear more criminal and get some sympathy for the complaint?

That's one team I'd *hate* to be on, I wonder if they are allowed holidays?

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

This is exactly why I dread having to do anything security related as a job...essentially, you never really win. But this pattern has been around for decades and will probably never change until they develop hardware that employs a true sense of randomization (and I don't mean by depending on a clock cycle or whatever). As I have stated before, the only truly random input will have to come from nature.

Maybe.

I'm not sure if they rely on prime numbers for their algorithms or what. I do remember seeing some diagrams (on here or a blog I think) that kind of explained the dizzying amount of steps involved in playing anything DRM related.

Yet with more and more "cores" being added to chips, won't computational power increase? I'm sure at some point we'll start to see more algorithms fail, more DRM get broken, etc. Empirically, it's merely a game where the programmer tries to throw out enough encryption and security roadblocks in a bid to stall for time (usually). Sometimes that "time" is in years, sometimes it is in weeks.

• User profile image
    fdisk

Rossj wrote:
    What I was surprised about was the assertion from Microsoft that he had broken into Microsoft's system in order to obtain information on cracking the DRM.  Is that an honest belief or an attempt to make him appear more criminal and get some sympathy for the complaint?
    If they are going to go that far in their accusations, then they should provide proof through access logs, how exactly he broke in (at least show it to a court), etc. Otherwise, it's just noise on their part that makes them look desperate.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Tell me how this would never happen on OS 10 or Linux, etc.

• User profile image
    Rossj

JohnAskew wrote:
    Tell me how this would never happen on OS 10 or Linux, etc.

Oh it happens all the time, but to my knowledge Apple have not directly accused the cracker of breaking into their systems (which'd be pretty crazy if you selling how strong your security is).

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

linux_guru wrote:

JohnAskew wrote: Tell me how this would never happen on OS 10 or Linux, etc.

Linux users like myself don't believe in DRM.  Therefore I don't need to worry about this non-existant DRM being cracked.  If it isn't Ogg Vorbis I'm not interested.

Well, I guess you're just not going to be able to use next gen content, since **AA insists on it these days. 

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Kinda off topic, but since someone mentioned Linux users, didn't Red Hat just post another loss this quarter?

Edit - No, they didn't... But their profits dropped 34%, and their stock price dropped 23%... http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060927/red_hat_stock.html?.v=6

• User profile image
    PaoloM

linux_guru wrote:

JohnAskew wrote: Tell me how this would never happen on OS 10 or Linux, etc.

Linux users like myself don't believe in DRM.  Therefore I don't need to worry about this non-existant DRM being cracked.  If it isn't Ogg Vorbis I'm not interested.

You'd better tell that to your leader, because he is not taking any position against DRM...

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

jaylittle wrote:

Jack Poison wrote:Kinda off topic, but since someone mentioned Linux users, didn't Red Hat just post another loss this quarter?

Edit - No, they didn't... But their profits dropped 34%, and their stock price dropped 23%... http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060927/red_hat_stock.html?.v=6

Not to encourage our new Linux troll, but Redhat isn't exactly representative of Linux as a whole.

The linux troll has glanced at the headline.  The real reason for the profit drop is that they lumped in the charge for buying JBoss in that quarter.  The shares dropping is a knee jerk reaction, now RedHat have annouced an all in one Java Application server using their new purchase the press are happy again. 

• User profile image
    blowdart

I have to say owning some DRMed music, and the little problem of Zune devices being reported not to support Plays4Sure DRM this app is damned handy ....

• User profile image
    figuerres

Rossj wrote:
    Looks like he has done it again. The latest IBX has been cracked, and I am starting to wonder if it is even possible to ship a succesful DRM solution any more, there must be a limited number of ways to obscure the information.

That's one team I'd *hate* to be on, I wonder if they are allowed holidays?

any form of copy-protection can be broken, just a matter of soneone wanting to bad enough.

and I hate to think of the total amount of cash that goes into that effort if you were to add up all the different parts of it.

media companies, hardware, software, legal, pr and so on....

huge amount of money I'd rather see spent some other way.

such a waste really....

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

More info...

News.com wrote:
    The copyright lawsuit was filed in Seattle federal court last Friday, without a name attached. Just as in the recording industry's many lawsuits against accused file swappers, it targets an unknown individual or individuals, whose true identity will be sought in the course of the case.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.