Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Message #003

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DarthVista

Greetings.

Lately, the leaders of the OpenOffice team have been on an offensive in our homelands. Yet, do not be deceived by their apparent "free" generosity in offering a database with their office suite (which was not there in previous versions). It is strategy made in foolishness. Here I review version 1.9.109:

1) I opened up the Form designer tool in this new "database" product to create a form. I looked over the palette for controls to choose from. I found a meager selection when compared to the libraries of controls available through a typical Access database.

2) Macros. This new product offers the ability to create macros in basic or python. I believe it also has the ability to import VBA macros. I wonder where that was stolen from...

3) The database has no replica ability, unlike Access.

4) It offers some type of macro security protection and allows you to add certificates and developers. I thought "interesting, but I've seen better. Let me look at the help screen on this." The help screen tells me what I already read in the dialog boxes. For instance:

Security options

Warns if document contains recorded changes, versions, hidden information, or notes.

I know. That's what the dialog box in the security options section already told me.

5) I noticed something else in the Help screens. It read: "All documents that are saved in XML format can be saved with a password. Documents that are saved with a password cannot be opened without the password. The content is secured so that it cannot be read with an external editor. This applies to content, graphics and OLE objects." Maybe they are using XOR encryption!

6) More from another help screen:

Trusted certificates

Lists the trusted certificates.

View

Opens the View Certificate dialog for the selected certificate.

Remove

Removes the selected certificate from the list of trusted certificates.

7) In the Options - OpenOffice.org - Security dialog section, I looked at this particular option: "File Sharing options for this document". There was a nice button that read "Protect...". I hit that button. It went gray. I hit cancel and came back into the dialog box. The button was still gray. Does that mean it is safe now?

8) In the Options - Openoffice.org - Memory section it offers "Graphics cache", and it lets you adjust the "memory per object" and other settings. So I checked the Help menu. It read:

The graphics cache saves the graphics contained in a document in your computer's main memory. This means that the attributes of a graphic stored in the cache do not have to be re-calculated if you return to the page containing the graphic after scrolling through a document.

I'm trying to figure out if that is useful or not. I'm sure Grandma will!

9) Under the internet option, it listed "search". It gave me the options of using AltaVista (default), Euroseek, Excite, Google, Hotbot, Lycos, and Yahoo. What? No MSN??!?

Expressionless

10) I checked under the Help section under "Internet". The entry read:

"Specifies Internet settings."

Okay, uh, thanks. I checked through the other menus...it says nothing about search. What is this for? Is this their idea of integration?!

11) I clicked on "SQL" in another menu.

"The connection to the database has been lost. This dialog will be closed."

12) I closed out of this clearly inferior product and restarted it. When it restarted I was given the option of starting a new database or connecting to an existing one. I wanted to reopen the database I just created. The connect-to-an-existing database option had these choices: Adabas D, ADO, dBase, JDBC, LDAP Address book, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Outlook Address Book, Microsoft Windows Address Book, Mozilla Address Book, MySQL, ODBC, Oracle JDBC, Spreadsheet, Text, and Thunderbird Address Book. I saw no option to open up my existing database. I had to double-click on the database's icon in an Explorer window just to get it to even open.

Brothers, this is the state of open source. Sad, pathetic, and spreading like slime to a desktop near you. Access will clearly prevail, Vista willing, for years to come.

• User profile image
    jamie

darth...were you the one who um.   ....altered...the wiki recently about this stuff?

• User profile image
    DarthVista

No. I do not alter "wikis". Thanks. I am currently reviewing OpenOffice.org Calc as we speak, so I am busy.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Take a screenshot of your main desktop, make it identifiable and post it on C9.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Have you perhaps considered reviewing a current version of OpenOffice instead of reviewing an incomplete beta version?

For example, your "unable to open existing database" issue is fixed:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Why is somebody creating threads with titles like "Message xxx". And why needs somebody to bash open source in such a forum. Most of the people here know what and why they use it! Most are pros here...

/me don't understand!

• User profile image
    irascian

littleguru wrote:
    Why is somebody creating threads with titles like "Message xxx".

He thinks he's being enigmatic!

littleguru wrote:
    And why needs somebody to bash open source in such a forum. Most of the people here know what and why they use it! Most are pros here...

He thinks by taking a stance completely opposite to the one he usually takes and which got him banned will mean that people won't guess who he is.

• User profile image
    littleguru

strange guy ... hmmm *need coffee*

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

DarthVista, you've opened my eyes! You made me see that open-source initiatives should be terminated. I will join you, and together we will crush them! No, I'm just kidding. You're a jäckâss.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

I'd forgotton that OpenOffice had a database now!  Thanks Darth, I've been waiting for this so I can move a few friends on MS Works onto a decent office package.  Good work promoting open source and keeping us up to date.

• User profile image
    Rossj

TommyCarlier wrote:
    DarthVista, you've opened my eyes! You made me see that open-source initiatives should be terminated. I will join you, and together we will crush them! No, I'm just kidding. You're a jäckâss.

ROTFLMAO!!!

• User profile image
    jb43081

I sometimes wonder if Darth has put together some kind of "Vista Militia" uniform, complete with boots and a snappy logo, a la the N-A-Z-I brownshirt uniforms, and wears it around the neighborhood when he does things like checks the mail and runs to the drug store for more Ritalin and Vodka.

But then I just chuckle and forget he exists until his next inane post.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.