Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I'm putting together a developer machine.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Although I pretty competent with hardware it's not really my bag so just wanted to run the components on my machine by you more knowledgeable guys to make sure I havnt make a (I need to watch my language) up Big Smile

Monitor: Sony SDM-P234B 23" LCD

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Aluminium Black Case ATX

Mobo: Asustek AM2 nForce 570 SLI ATX Audio Dual Lan

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 Socket AM2 2.2GHz 1MB 1000FSB

Graphics: Gainward GeForce 7900GS 512MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI SLI HDR

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB S300

Power: CoolerMaster Real Power 450W PSU

Memory: Crucial CT2KIT12864AA667 2x1GB PC2-5300 NonECC CL5

TV: Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT

Speakers: Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 OEM

What cooling will I need for my processor was going to order a  CoolerMaster Vortex TX Air Cooling fan but it's obsolete now, whill a decent processor fan be suffecient will I need anything else?Cheers

• User profile image
    W3bbo

That's not a developer machine, that's a gaming machine.

So anyway, I'm a bit weary about TV cards, I've worked with a number of them, their drivers leave a lot to be desired (BSODs galore).

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

lol well it would be a gaming machine a little bit, but mostly development.  How would a development machine differ then?

Dunno about them TV cards then. gonna be running MCE so i can stream stuff to an xbox downstairs so I really need one.  If it starts playing up then ill just take it out and send it packing.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

leeappdalecom wrote:
    lol well it would be a gaming machine a little bit, but mostly development.  How would a development machine differ then?

I always pictured a developer machine with an nVidia Quadro instead of GeForce, and ECC/Registered RAM, at least two displays (with at least one being color-calibrated, typically a CRT), and an ergonomic keyboard and mouse (but it has to be the right mouse)

Logitech's Mx1000 mouse, for example, is better than the Mx700 for working with 2D apps, but fares less well in gaming.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Serious. Have a look at how much power usage there is on the x2 cpu, and how expensive it is, against Intel cpu's.

Have a look here:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=433&model2=469&chart=174
    Pay a bit more, and get a E6400. I have an E6700, and it ROCKS. Im glad i didnt buy a x2.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Ive already got an MX1000 at home.

Hmm interesting points but I think that's probably going a bit far into depth for me.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Chadk wrote:
    Serious. Have a look at how much power usage there is on the x2 cpu, and how expensive it is, against Intel cpu's.

Have a look here:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=433&model2=469&chart=174
    Pay a bit more, and get a E6400. I have an E6700, and it ROCKS. Im glad i didnt buy a x2.

hmmm I see what your saying, ill check out the price difference with the intel chips

• User profile image
    Massif

I've got that TV card, there's no x64 drivers available so, if you want to try XP x64, or Vista x64 you'll be stuck for TV.

The only real requisite for a developer machine that I know of is having more than one monitor. Although stacks of RAM helps when running VPC.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

leeappdalecom wrote:

Developement machine, something like this with two screens would do fine with a shed load of ram.

You don't say what development your doing, web, LOB apps, games, 3D/Graphic design?  Makes quite a bit of difference to what is suggested!

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Why the hassle and cost of building a development machine?  Just order a decent spec laptop from Dell (or someone) and use that. A real development machine should be portable.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Another_Darren wrote:
    Just order a decent spec laptop from Dell (or someone) and use that.

You can then also use it to keep warm this coming winter when it bursts into flames Wink

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Rossj wrote:

Another_Darren wrote:Just order a decent spec laptop from Dell (or someone) and use that.

You can then also use it to keep warm this coming winter when it bursts into flames

Just like the Sony fan boys who think the PS3 is going to be so great (Sony have a great track record of making faulty goods). Wink

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Get a Core 2 Duo! AM2 processors are so much slower!

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

linux_guru wrote:
    What OS will you be installing?  Some wonderful user friendly variant of Linux such as Ubuntu perhaps?

Yes in fact I will be installing Simply Mepis 6.0 dual boot with Media Centre.

I also have a decent compaq laptop for when i goto clients site. But personally you can beat a nice decent powerful desktop with a nice fat screen when working at home.

Kind of development will be primarily using VS2005/2003 (the memory hogw), SQL Server and Photoshop (not alot mind you).

• User profile image
    armbrat

Don't get 64 bit...  I run 64X2 on XP64 and I loathe it.  The app compatibility is horrific.  I'm not sure how Vista x64 is (since the last time I installed beta 2 I crashed my system).

I'd get a dual core Intel chip or hold out for the quad core Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

The single most important thing on a dev machine is disk access speed. Get three fast drives and RAID 5 them. They don't even have to be that big, you can always add an external one for permanent storage.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

PaoloM wrote:
    The single most important thing on a dev machine is disk access speed. Get three fast drives and RAID 5 them. They don't even have to be that big, you can always add an external one for permanent storage.

Good point but wont a SATA drive be sufficient?

Also I wont be running 64bit OS just 32bit

• User profile image
    MB

If I had the readies... i'd be lashing out for a shiny new HP xw8400 as my next developer machine.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.