Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSN Music

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Guys, the licensing terms are great.

Within the last year I've brought 9 songs from Walmart (8 before WMP10 and 1 after WMP10) and 1 from Apple (before WMP10 was out and the song wasn't in Walmart's selection). Yesterday I wanted to buy another one but couldn't through Walmart because their buy button wasn't working so I went to you guys.

I now wish I brought those 10 songs from MSN Music. If I did, I would have higher quality music and could listen to it no matter how many times I reformat my hard drive. With Walmart I'm going to have to rip the music off my custom CDs (which will degrade quality) in order to listen to them after x amount of reformats.

From now on I'm only going to buy music from MSN Music. The higher quality and ability to always have access to them makes it worth the extra 11 cents.

By the way, having an option to download music that was encoded with a mathematically lossless variable bitrate rather than a set bitrate would be nice. Wink

• User profile image
    Rossj

MSN Music will be in double figures for it's user base soon then Smiley

Sorry couldn't resist it. I tried it once and it kept breaking and wouldn't let me do anything, so I'll be sticking with what works.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Rossj wrote:
    MSN Music will be in double figures for it's user base soon then Smiley

Sorry couldn't resist it. I tried it once and it kept breaking and wouldn't let me do anything, so I'll be sticking with what works.

MSN Music is still a preview and therefore isn't finished yet.

By the way, the Butterfly icon was missing (I had the pleasure of seeing a Red X) when WMP10 came out but it is there now so things were probably still being done to make it functional after WMP10 was released. I didn't use it until yesterday so I can't say how it worked for me when WMP10 was released.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I know I sound like a troll, but here I go, anyway.. Smiley

What can MSN Music deliver to me that I can't get with iTunes or another online Music store? ITunes is neat, and works directly with my iPod..

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

MisterDonut wrote:
    I know I sound like a troll, but here I go, anyway.. Smiley

What can MSN Music deliver to me that I can't get with iTunes or another online Music store? ITunes is neat, and works directly with my iPod..

It gives you the ability to always have access to the music you purchase (at the high quality it was at when you purchased it; there is no need to reduce quality by ripping it off CDs you burnt) even if you reformat as you can reauthorize your computer and re-download the music. It also gives you higher quality music (160Kbps).

As for working with the iPod, Apple has tried to make the iPod exclusive to iTunes and vica versa so MSN Music isn't compatible with it. However unlike iTunes, MSN Music lets you use your choice of dozens if not hundreds of compatible music players with it.

If I get a music player I'm going to go for the 15GB Dell Jukebox. Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

Shining Arcanine wrote:

even if you reformat as you can reauthorize your computer and re-download the music. It also gives you higher quality music (160Kbps).

I can re-authorise a machine if I use iTunes so nothing new there.  I'm impressed with the encoding level from MSN Music though - what format is it in?

Shining Arcanine wrote:

As for working with the iPod, Apple has tried to make the iPod exclusive to iTunes and vica versa so MSN Music isn't compatible with it. However unlike iTunes, MSN Music lets you use your choice of dozens if not hundreds of compatible music players with it.

This is undoubtedly true, however for iPod users iTunes is pretty much the only choice unless you try some other incomplete OSS to manage your iPod.  Of course Microsoft could always license the code to be compatible with the iPod - they just (w/d)on't

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Rossj wrote:
    Shining Arcanine wrote:
    even if you reformat as you can reauthorize your computer and re-download the music. It also gives you higher quality music (160Kbps).

I can re-authorise a machine if I use iTunes so nothing new there.  I'm impressed with the encoding level from MSN Music though - what format is it in?

According to Windows Media Player the audio codec is: "Windows Media Audio 9
    160 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo 2-pass VBR."

Here is a demonstration of the Windows Media Player 9 codec:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/GettingStarted/DemoCenter/Default.asp?page=6

Rossj wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:

This is undoubtedly true, however for iPod users iTunes is pretty much the only choice unless you try some other incomplete OSS to manage your iPod.  Of course Microsoft could always license the code to be compatible with the iPod - they just (w/d)on't

If you agree with me, why do you think Apple would license its technology to Microsoft?

• User profile image
    miamijjs

To get a foothold on Microsoft and use as leverage for evil purposes down the road...or pull the rug out from Microsoft as a evil Steve Jobs Joke!

APPLE IS EVIL!

• User profile image
    rbennett

Rossj wrote:

I'm one of the guys that works on the MSN Music team and we really appreciate all of the comments & feedback here. Keep 'em coming!

Just to clarify the above comment, Apple refuses to license the Fairplay/AAC code for iPod compatibility to anyone (the HP deal is the only exception, and it is more of an OEM distribution deal anyway). That is why Real had to create a clean-room implementation of it for their Harmony technology (will be interesting to see what happens on that front). By contrast, WMA is open for ANY vendor to license and use on their portable audio devices - in fact, the firmware for the iPod (built for Apple by a company called PortalPlayer) actually supports WMA off of the factory line and Apple specifically disables the support for the iPod.

Not trying to start a religious debate, just wanted to get the facts out there. Smiley

Thanks again for the feedback - I'll try to check back here as often as I can to respond to any questions & comments (although my newborn daughter is getting most of my attention these days! Smiley )

Cheers,
    Rob

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

rbennett wrote:
    Thanks again for the feedback - I'll try to check back here as often as I can to respond to any questions & comments (although my newborn daughter is getting most of my attention these days! Smiley )

Would it be possible to offer as an option the ability to download music that is losslessly encoded rather than lossily encoded? It would be a nice option for customers such as myself that have fast internet connections (e.g. 10Mbps) and highend audio hardware (e.g. Creative Audiology 2 and Logitech 5.1 Speakers).

Also I'm curious as to whether the audio is 16bit or 24bit. Would you please disclose that?

• User profile image
    rbennett

Shining Arcanine wrote:

Would it be possible to offer as an option the ability to download music that is losslessly encoded rather than lossily encoded? It would be a nice option for customers such as myself that have fast internet connections (e.g. 10Mbps) and highend audio hardware (e.g. Creative Audiology 2 and Logitech 5.1 Speakers).

The challenge here is mostly one of user experience - most people don't understand bitrates, encoding, etc, so offering a lot of options would just confuse the experience. That said, we are working on some showcase areas for "audiophile" content (lossless, 5.1, etc) where you could get songs that do provide that richer experience. Some record labels do not want services to offer lossless downloads, so that is an issue we are trying to work through as well.

Shining Arcanine wrote:

Also I'm curious as to whether the audio is 16bit or 24bit. Would you please disclose that?

16, although we are working with some labels (especially classical) to remaster their content in 5.1, which is really where you see the difference going to 24.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

rbennett wrote:
    Shining Arcanine wrote:

The challenge here is mostly one of user experience - most people don't understand bitrates, encoding, etc, so offering a lot of options would just confuse the experience. That said, we are working on some showcase areas for "audiophile" content (lossless, 5.1, etc) where you could get songs that do provide that richer experience. Some record labels do not want services to offer lossless downloads, so that is an issue we are trying to work through as well.

How would this work? Will the music exclusively be losslessly encoded surround sound or will it be an option? While I would rather it be exclusive, I do realize that you take into consideration the fact that many people are still on low speed internet connections. Hence, why I suggested making downloading losslessly encoded music optional.

rbennett wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:

16, although we are working with some labels (especially classical) to remaster their content in 5.1, which is really where you see the difference going to 24.

That is great news; especially since classical music is among my favorite music. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.