Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Screensavers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

    I was borred so I decided to find a new screensaver for my computer... after digging through all the spam ridden junk you get when searching for screensaver on google... I decided to post here and see what you guys were using.

    I had one before that was pretty sweet but I can't seem to remember what it was... sheep something.

  • User profile image
    Rossj
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

    I've never tried any of these, but I might now that I found this page...

    http://www.risoftsystems.com/screensavers.asp

    But the "Hey Macaroni" screensaver is not compatible with XP.

  • User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

    YEA!!! I found it http://electricsheep.org/

    This is pretty sweet, you guys should check it out...

  • User profile image
    Larsenal

    Rossj wrote:


    Nice!  Downloaded and installed!

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    Larsenal wrote:
    
    Rossj wrote:I use this.


    Nice!  Downloaded and installed!


    If anyone wants it, the Windows port is here.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Rossj wrote:
    
    Larsenal wrote: 
    Rossj wrote: I use this.


    Nice!  Downloaded and installed!


    If anyone wants it, the Windows port is here.


    That has to be the coolest screensaver ever.

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    My computer randomly selects one of over a hundred different screensavers each time my computer locks a session. On my Macintrash I use the Flying Toasters and Bad Dog (haha) screensavers in AfterDark.

    However screensavers are rather pointless on LCD displays since they dont suffer from phosphor burn-in like their CRT cousins. I guess they are still cool to look at though.


    Regards,
    Vincent

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    My computer randomly selects one of over a hundred different screensavers each time my computer locks a session. On my Macintrash I use the Flying Toasters and Bad Dog (haha) screensavers in AfterDark.

    However screensavers are rather pointless on LCD displays since they dont suffer from phosphor burn-in like their CRT cousins. I guess they are still cool to look at though.


    Regards,
    Vincent


    I haven't seen a modern LCD "burnt-in" (not really what happens), but I have seen old LCDs burnt in.  Don't know if it's still possible with modern technology, even.

    Screensavers are a good way to automatically lock your computer on Windows, though (in case you forget).

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    
    I haven't seen a modern LCD "burnt-in" (not really what happens), but I have seen old LCDs burnt in.  Don't know if it's still possible with modern technology, even.

    Screensavers are a good way to automatically lock your computer on Windows, though (in case you forget).


    Thats interesting. The old passive matrix LCDs (without the embedded transistors to improve response time and reduce ghosting) didn't do that either iirc.

    Maybe the "burnt-in" had something to do with a bad fluorescent backlight or diffusion panel?


    Regards,
    Vincent

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    
    That has to be the coolest screensaver ever.


    Whenever I feel like showing off, I generally put that as my backdrop so it is always running while I work - pointless but it looks good Smiley

  • User profile image
    Pace

    Thanks for the links! :O:D

  • User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

    I saw the video, but for some reason it doesn't run very well... it is running my cpu at 100% but I am running vista build 5728...

     

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    
    CannotResolveSymbol wrote: 
    I haven't seen a modern LCD "burnt-in" (not really what happens), but I have seen old LCDs burnt in.  Don't know if it's still possible with modern technology, even.

    Screensavers are a good way to automatically lock your computer on Windows, though (in case you forget).


    Thats interesting. The old passive matrix LCDs (without the embedded transistors to improve response time and reduce ghosting) didn't do that either iirc.

    Maybe the "burnt-in" had something to do with a bad fluorescent backlight or diffusion panel?


    Regards,
    Vincent


    I dunno.  This was years ago.  Maybe I'm not even remembering it correctly...

  • User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

    I don't know about burning in a lcd screen, but I am pretty sure that if you leave it for awhile you can start to get pixels that stick. There are apps to fix that though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.