Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Beta of .NET Micro Framework... Do we get a new video?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Neowin is reporting that the .NET Micro Framework is available as broad beta:
    http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35267

I was wondering if Charles or any of the other Channel 9 guys has a meeting with the team sheduled, to give us further information? If not, it is OK, i was just wondering Smiley

• User profile image
    jolson88

Hmm, I thought that was our original goal with the Compact Framework Perplexed. So, if this is correct, there would be the .NET Framework, the .NET Compact Framework, AND the .NET Micro Framework Expressionless? Does that give anyone else a headache?

Wouldn't it be better to simply adopt a model like Windows CE and platform builder where you can "build" your own version of the Runtime with only the libraries that are necessary on that device? Of course, there might be problems with that, but it seems much more scalable.

I fear .NET is learning all the WRONG things from the Java world. First the whole .NET Framework 3.0 renaming fiasco (yes, I said "fiasco"). Now this? It's like the whole J2EE, J2SE, J2ME thing. Actually, hm, I wonder if it's a coincidence to have three parallel frameworks in .NET too ("the whole shebang", smaller, and even smaller).

Sigh, between this and our over-abundance of "non-cool" product names...

Sorry for the rant, I had to get that off my chest Smiley.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

JasonOlson wrote:
    Hmm, I thought that was our original goal with the Compact Framework . So, if this is correct, there would be the .NET Framework, the .NET Compact Framework, AND the .NET Micro Framework ? Does that give anyone else a headache?

Wouldn't it be better to simply adopt a model like Windows CE and platform builder where you can "build" your own version of the Runtime with only the libraries that are necessary on that device? Of course, there might be problems with that, but it seems much more scalable.

I fear .NET is learning all the WRONG things from the Java world. First the whole .NET Framework 3.0 renaming fiasco (yes, I said "fiasco"). Now this? It's like the whole J2EE, J2SE, J2ME thing. Actually, hm, I wonder if it's a coincidence to have three parallel frameworks in .NET too ("the whole shebang", smaller, and even smaller).

Sigh, between this and our over-abundance of "non-cool" product names...

Sorry for the rant, I had to get that off my chest .
    i agree, its a bad ideea.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Jason, if we kick up another ruckus* can we get you Ozzie's job? It's kinda nice to see a 'softie being very open with their opinions even if it might be construed as negative.

Having come from a Java background I can *totally* see your point though.

* j/k.**
    ** maybe.

• User profile image
    jolson88

Rossj wrote:
    Jason, if we kick up another ruckus* can we get you Ozzie's job? It's kinda nice to see a 'softie being very open with their opinions even if it might be construed as negative.

Having come from a Java background I can *totally* see your point though.

* j/k.**
    ** maybe.

Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence Smiley. I, for one, actually like Ray Ozzie and where he wants to take the company. Ask me again about that in 12 months though Tongue Out.

I guess I just learned the "be yourself" and "be honest" thing from Scoble. I learned fairly quickly here at MS too that if things suck, say that things suck and you'll find others that care and might actually fix it.

Plus also, maybe it will drill home the fact that I'm just one of you guys Smiley. Don't think of me as a 'softie, think of me as a Niner Big Smile.

• User profile image
    dahat

All of these reports about a beta and yet no links to be found and only Press Release style news to be found... grrr.

• User profile image
    littleguru

As far as I know there are several differences between the Compact and Micro Framework. That would be a nice question for the video, if we get one...

• User profile image
    dahat

littleguru wrote:
    As far as I know there are several differences between the Compact and Micro Framework. That would be a nice question for the video, if we get one...

Have you seen the one linked to from AboutMicroMF.com? It's a few months old and explains quite a bit... except for my big question... when will there be a dev kit and specs for me to convince my boss to buy.

• User profile image
    littleguru

dahat wrote:

littleguru wrote: As far as I know there are several differences between the Compact and Micro Framework. That would be a nice question for the video, if we get one...

Have you seen the one linked to from AboutMicroMF.com? It's a few months old and explains quite a bit... except for my big question... when will there be a dev kit and specs for me to convince my boss to buy.

I haven't seen this so far... *will watch later*

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.