Coffeehouse Thread

2 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2005 Server Explorer Error

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    pathfinder

As of yesterday afternoon I cannot add a Data Connection to my Server Exploerer.  I get an error and all it says is "The system cannot find the file specified." 

It doesn't matter if I am trying to add a MSSQL, Oracle, Access database.  When I click the Test connection button it says that connection is successful, but when I click OK to create the connection I get the error.

What file is it looking for.  I get no other error messages, nothing in the event viewer either.

Help, this is frustrating me.  I have  tried unistalling VS2005 and .NET framework 2.0 but to no avail the error is still there.

• User profile image
    pathfinder

I found what the problem was. It had to do with a missing registry entry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders\AppData

When a user is created on a system, the AppData key is copied from the ..Default area of the registry:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders\AppData

It seems the key had been messed up in my customer's build. Both should be a
    REG_EXPAND_SZ and both should be set to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

Note that if the key is missing on your system, you might have problems when
    you put it back in as many programs seem to failover to using the Local
    AppData key if it's missing. You might have to set the AppData key to
    %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data

http://www.developersdex.com/sql/message.asp?p=1870&r=4699024&page=2

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.