Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's with the Acronym Obsession?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jolson88

    Before I go back to work after my lunch break, I have a comment. Well, more of a rant actually. And since this is "The Coffeehouse" where it's mostly no-holds barred, I would like to take advantage of that fact Tongue Out.

    <Rant>

    (When you read this in your hand, imagine Lewis Black speaking it, because that's how I inteded it to sound (minus all the swear words that Lewis Black usually uses (you can of course add those yourself ("artistic license" I suppose))))


    What the heck is up with the technology world's obsession with acronyms?!? I swear, the behavior is as bad as a relapsed crack addict with herpes selling other people's posessions to get another hit of "The Sweet Calm". Okay, I don't know if anyone actually refers to it as "The Sweet Calm", but whatever, that's besides the point. Sometimes, I want to track down this crack addict and slap the spit out of him until he drops the habbit and picks up a better one, like polo, or cat-skinning, or something.

    To me, it seems Microsoft is especially bad at this. When preparing content on Longhorn Server and Vista, I've come across more acronyms than the number of times Rory has been probed by the aliens from Zeta Reticuli, or wherever the hell they're from. It's gotten to the point where we're RE-USING acronyms. Yup, we have acronyms with multiple meanings. Take VSS for example. Visual Source Safe? Yes. And NO. It's also Volume Shadow Services. Oy Vay! VSS? More like WTF. 

    That's not all, though. There is actually a place on the intranet here that you can search for the meaning of an acronym. That's right, we have so many acronyms, that half the time, I'm not sure people know what the heck they're talking about. It's almost like we've invented our own form of communication. I might as well speak Klingon, nay, I might as well speak gibberish, or something. It's kind of funny when you're talking to someone about some cool new features and they actually have to stop you to ask whether you said "Vista" or "Visto" ("Visto" being VSTO / Visual Studio Tools for Office). Wait a minute, perhaps it's not that funny after all Perplexed.

    Of course, I'm not surprised we need acronyms when we get crazy creative and come up with names like "Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office 2007 R2 Service Pack 1 Beta 2 Refresh Community Tech Preview Pre-Release" **

    ** this is _not_ an actual product name (although I'd imagine it could be Tongue Out)

    </Rant>

    Okay, move along. Nothing to see here. Just me being a tool, like usual. Just another day in the life, I suppose Tongue Out.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    OMG LOL

    QFT.

    Smiley

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    PaoloM wrote:
    OMG LOL

    QFT.



    BFD ROFL OWNZ3D!

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    What makes it even more confusing is when people pronounce the accronyms Tongue Out

    I was speaking to a potential employer a few weeks ago and we were talking about my day. I said, "Well, after spending two hours in the DOM this morning...", he stopped me.."You were in what?", "The DOM - The Document Object Model...", "Oh!" He said, "Continue."

    Plus, we all know the WYSIWYG accronym, but until about a year ago, I had never heard it pronounced. I had a buddy of mine call me and say, "Hey, what wizzywoogy do you use for writing PHP?". I said, "What the hell is a wizzywoogy?"

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    LOL* + YR

  • User profile image
    AdamKinney

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    

    Plus, we all know the WYSIWYG accronym, but until about a year ago, I had never heard it pronounced. I had a buddy of mine call me and say, "Hey, what wizzywoogy do you use for writing PHP?". I said, "What the hell is a wizzywoogy?"


    "wizzywoogy"? I've only heard it called "wizzywig".

    Acronym pronunciation could be a completely seperate thread/rant.

  • User profile image
    jolson88

    AdamKinney wrote:
    
    jsampsonPC wrote: 

    Plus, we all know the WYSIWYG accronym, but until about a year ago, I had never heard it pronounced. I had a buddy of mine call me and say, "Hey, what wizzywoogy do you use for writing PHP?". I said, "What the hell is a wizzywoogy?"


    "wizzywoogy"? I've only heard it called "wizzywig".

    Acronym pronunciation could be a completely seperate thread/rant.


    Lawl Roffle Lahmow

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    TP for the BM in the AM.

    FWIW, my interests are SCSF CAB, WPF, WWF, and WCF on VS2005 with C# and SQL.

    I've had to start using live.com and wikis for searching for the meanings of certain acronymns, starting with "QFT", which I was concerned meant Quit F'ing Trolling. Seems more obvious than Quoted For Truth.

    IMHO, wizzywoog should be kept zipped up.



  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    JasonOlson wrote:
    

    Lawl Roffle Lahmow



    Perplexed


    clueless.

    Something about a lawn mower in a raffle and a lawyer?

  • User profile image
    MB

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    

    What makes it even more confusing is when people pronounce the accronyms

    To be an Acronym... it needs to be a pronounceable, as a word.

    e.g. WTF doesn't qualify... as don't most, so-called, acronyms.

    Most of them are JABOL (Just a bunch of letters)... Tongue Out

     

  • User profile image
    LaBomba

    JasonOlson wrote:
    I've come across more acronyms than the number of times Rory has been probed by the aliens from Zeta Reticuli, or wherever the hell they're from.


    :O

    JasonOlson wrote:

    It's kind of funny when you're talking to someone about some cool new features and they actually have to stop you to ask whether you said "Vista" or "Visto" ("Visto" being VSTO / Visual Studio Tools for Office). Wait a minute, perhaps it's not that funny after all .


    lawl, roffle-o-copter

  • User profile image
    jolson88

    JohnAskew wrote:
    
    JasonOlson wrote: 

    Lawl Roffle Lahmow






    clueless.

    Something about a lawn mower in a raffle and a lawyer?


    Lawl Roffle Lahmow = LOL, ROFL, LMAO

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    JasonOlson wrote:
    
    JohnAskew wrote: 
    JasonOlson wrote: 

    Lawl Roffle Lahmow






    clueless.

    Something about a lawn mower in a raffle and a lawyer?


    Lawl Roffle Lahmow = LOL, ROFL, LMAO


    Big Smile You kill me.

  • User profile image
    jolson88

    JohnAskew wrote:

    You kill me.


    Yeah, I do that a lot. Especially that time I found out that the one person lived in that one place. Yeah, he's not here anymore. And by "here", I mean on Earth. As in, he's not living anymore. Sigh, good times, good times.

  • User profile image
    AdamKinney

    Yes, veddy funny.

    (This is just a vieled db test, don't mind me...)

  • User profile image
    Rory

    JasonOlson wrote:
    I swear, the behavior is as bad as a relapsed crack addict with herpes selling other people's posessions to get another hit of "The Sweet Calm".


    Actually, crack addicts are looking for the complete opposite of a "sweet calm." They're after a very intense, stimulating high caused by the sudden release of large quantities of dopamine and norepinephrine into their little brainy parts.

    Crack, in case you haven't noticed from the way your mamma jitters, is an excitatory drug and not a calming one.

    For calming drugs, see: warm milk.

    Except in turn of the century England where parents regularly gave their children laudanum (an opium tincture) to keep them calm while they (the parents) worked eighteen hour days at factories.

    It was easier to keep their kids comatosed than to pay for daycare because opium and its derivatives were freely available.

    This is why I'm not having kids anytime soon. Ever since it became illegal to drug them into states of unconsciousness while at work, things have just gotten really expensive.

    And don't even get me started on denying infants and toddlers the right and freedom to work in factories under dangerous conditions for extremely long hours in return for little pay.

    ::Rory shakes his head::

    The world is so unjust.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Rory,

    Have you managed to talk Microsoft into installing a meth-room near the water-foundtains yet?

    Jonathan

  • User profile image
    Rory

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    Rory,

    Have you managed to talk Microsoft into installing a meth-room near the water-foundtains yet?

    Jonathan


    I'm just going to bring my own lab and hope nobody notices.

    You'd be surprised how cluttered some of the offices are. You could actually hide a meth lab quite easily inside many of them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.