Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Do you talk in your sleep? What do you say?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

So rants are in?

My wife and I have this little thing we do almost every morning. It's called, "Tell Jonathan what he was saying in his sleep last night." It goes something like this; I talk in my sleep, and, you guessed it, my wife tells me what I was sleep-yappin' about.

I recall having dreams from time to time, and sometimes the words she claims I was speaking are actually related to my dreams. So, that's an obvious connection. Who would have thought it?

The last two nights were interesting though. I should say, the last two mornings, rather. I don't remember dreaming about the stuff she claims I was saying - but then again, I don't remember every dream I have.

Two nights ago she said I spoke clear as day and said, "After the amperstand you're going to put two more, and then break it up into three variables." The only thing I can think about here is appending values to a URL....

This morning she claims I said, "It doesn't matter how smart you are, we are only interested in how hard you work." So she think I may have been dreaming about interviewing somebody, but that is not something I would ever say in an interview Smiley

So, does anybody else get poked by their wife in the morning for talking in their sleep? If so, what do you talk about? My monologues seem to center around computer/programming topics.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    stevo_

Not married- but I've found recently I sleep less and less because I can't 'switch off' from thinking about programming/development/schema and all of that stuff.

Actually its starting to turn in to a bit of a problem- quite a few nights I've layed there feeling tired but my brain just won't stop. I may be verging on insanity Big Smile

• User profile image
    kettch

stevo_ wrote:
    Not married- but I've found recently I sleep less and less because I can't 'switch off' from thinking about programming/development/schema and all of that stuff.

Actually its starting to turn in to a bit of a problem- quite a few nights I've layed there feeling tired but my brain just won't stop. I may be verging on insanity

If I end up staying up late working, no matter how tired I am, I have to take some "cool down" time. It usually involves at least 15-30 minutes of playing video games, or reading something non-technical. Otherwise I dream about code all night long. It's usually annoying stuff involving futilely tracking down an endless list of bugs.

Sometimes I miss the classic nightmares of youth: being chased by monsters, etc... such simplicity, not like these complicated productions that I end up with now.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

stevo_ wrote:

Actually its starting to turn in to a bit of a problem- quite a few nights I've layed there feeling tired but my brain just won't stop. I may be verging on insanity

Sounds like you're verging on insomnia, not insanity.  Big Smile

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I'm single.

I'm so lonely... Crying

Heh.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

One main rule for jsampsonPC.

Never, ever, ever cheat on your wife.....hehe

Or your morning conversation will be quite different than they are currently.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

No doubt!

It makes me somewhat worried because I sometimes am able to control what I do in my dreams, and am also often aware that I am indeed dreaming. But, sometimes I have no control over what I do/say, and fear that when I wake up...I'll have a whole mess of "You said [X]" stuff Smiley Scary to know your wife knows your dreams Wink

Harlequin wrote:

One main rule for jsampsonPC.

Never, ever, ever cheat on your wife.....hehe

Or your morning conversation will be quite different than they are currently.

• User profile image
    Charles

"Do you talk in your sleep? What do you say?"

Hard to say. Typically, I'm asleep while I'm sleeping...
    C

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I would like to invite all of the c9 staff, including Rory, to Charles' house for a sleepover...we need to figure out what this dude says in his sleep...

"You're a pretty hammer...scram, fdisk! - my precious hammer..." Smiley

Charles wrote:

"Do you talk in your sleep? What do you say?"

Hard to say. Typically, I'm asleep while I'm sleeping...
    C

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Do you talk in your sleep? What do you say?
    yep, i'm single so who knows...

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I've been told it's mostly sound effects of sawing logs, which results in a short sharp kick.

My daughter is 10 and I had to wake myself a few nights ago because I was getting ready to beat some poor 10 year old boy to death -- what did he say or do to deserve that? I don't remember...
    Expressionless

I've heard others talk in their sleep - at the hunting lodge. It's amazing. I don't think women talk in their sleep, do they?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

JohnAskew wrote:
    I don't think women talk in their sleep, do they?

I'm giving away a secret, but this is the only safe way to talk them into threesomes and not get in trouble for mentioning it. [A][6]

• User profile image
    Red5

you're very bad NF? As (good ideal

• User profile image
    ktr

when i was about 15 i shared a room with my younger brother. he claims that while i was sleeping i raised my hand and began to count off the subjects i was going to have the next day at school "tomorrow i have algebra, biology, english.. " then sputtered back into sleep mode. of course i dont know anything of this.. Smiley

but the scariest and worst dream ive ever had is one where i was underwater... in some type of huge ocean. i could see the surface and was almost out of breath. i frantically swam to the top while holding my breath. but i died (in my dream). then... i woke up and took a HUGE breath.. i was holding my breath in my sleep!!! Expressionless Expressionless my heart never pound so hard!

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

You should play a trick on her and say something crazy.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

That type of stuff always scared me. This type of thing could happen to just about anybody I'm sure, and if you held your breath just a little longer, the results could have been fatal.

Not only that, but many people have violent fits when they sleep. They often times began to beat the person lying next to them in bed, and others have actually gotten up out of bed, and went on a midnight-adventure during their sleep...in some cases this resulted in death.

Sleeping is scary!

ktr wrote:

...but the scariest and worst dream ive ever had is one where i was underwater... in some type of huge ocean. i could see the surface and was almost out of breath. i frantically swam to the top while holding my breath. but i died (in my dream). then... i woke up and took a HUGE breath.. i was holding my breath in my sleep!!! my heart never pound so hard!

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I actually have played a couple jokes on her Smiley

About 3 weeks ago I knew she was watching me, so I shouted..."Cooking me some FISH STICKS!"...for about an hour after I "Woke up" she thought it was a sincere message from beyond the sleep...I let her enjoy it for a while before I told her the truth Smiley

DuNuNuBatman wrote:
    You should play a trick on her and say something crazy.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

jsampsonPC wrote:
    That type of stuff always scared me. This type of thing could happen to just about anybody I'm sure, and if you held your breath just a little longer, the results could have been fatal.

Not only that, but many people have violent fits when they sleep. They often times began to beat the person lying next to them in bed, and others have actually gotten up out of bed, and went on a midnight-adventure during their sleep...in some cases this resulted in death.

Sleeping is scary!

ktr wrote: 

...but the scariest and worst dream ive ever had is one where i was underwater... in some type of huge ocean. i could see the surface and was almost out of breath. i frantically swam to the top while holding my breath. but i died (in my dream). then... i woke up and took a HUGE breath.. i was holding my breath in my sleep!!! my heart never pound so hard!

<off-topic>
    your body (when in good mental health) actually restricts movement at night to prevent you from hurting yourself while dreaming. There is a light form of self induced parallasis that helps keep your body in check. IF you've ever experienced the leg/arm jerk that wakes you up right as you were falling asleep... this is called a sleep spindal (they occur while you are sleeping as well)..... these are caused by increased activity in the brain. It's not so scary... it's natural.

people getting up and "sleep walking" however is a bit weird and of course dangerous for anyone who finds them as well as them selves if they happen to be wokenup unnaturally.
    </off-topic>
    <on-topic>
    I sometimes talk in my sleep. And sometimes make outbursts as if im woken up. My gf tells me I usually make absolutley no sense or seem to be verbalizing another conversation things like "yeah they are over there" (with pointing) followed by "the cat said it was nice outside"

I also apperantly wake up sometimes as she is moving about the house (we work diff schedules..me 9-5... her 3rd shift weekends) and sometimes hold conversations with her that I totally don't remember and usually make about as much sense as what I say in my sleep..... she seems to find humor in finding out what i will say next and likes to ask odd questions of me.

When woken up abruptly I've been known to make strange statements... the most memorable being "I don't know anything about the Wal-Mart baby!" which is in reference to http://imdb.com/title/tt0198021/
    </on-topic>

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.