Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

"Will litter your screen for $60" - Norton Antivirus

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

So I bought the upgrade to my Norton software today - it was about $60. Which, if you ask me, is a small price to pay for securing my precious laptop (which generates 100% of my income right now). Little to my knowledge, Norton had something other than Securing my computer in-stock when I paid them the mullah.

After installing my updates, downloading lists, etc - Norton placed it's branding on my taskbar, and in my browser. Free AOL Software Icons piss me off enough (Sorry, Cybermagellan), and I don't even pay for those icons to litter my screen.

Norton (by default) used up a combined number of 34,000 pixels on my screen...Thirty-Four Thousand! And I paid them to do that! Is it just me, or does this stuff really upset people? If I pay you to secure my laptop, you don't make my freaking laptop a sitting advertisement for your trashy company!

...fortunately, they do offer options which minimize the realestate a bit. Unfortunately, the majority of their consumers probably don't know that, and are staring at 34,000 pixels of Norton nonsense everytime their screen refreshes.

Oh, and incase that isn't enough to upset you...Norton causes IE7RC1 to fail when you try to close a tab (Which is why I'm using FF...again). That's the icing on the cake!

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

For a long time I used a free anti-virus program that did its job well enough. It saved me from a good couple of viruses over a few years. Unfortunately, after a certain update it started regularly displaying pop-up ads that said, "if you buy the full version, we'll defend against spyware and adware, too!" Oh the irony. I now run Windows without an anti-virus program and use my Mac for all of my day-to-day surfing.

• User profile image
    Rowan

I used Norton Antivirus until it started pressuring my PC while I was trying to work and play, causing lag and other annoying interuptions. The real-estate issue put me off a bit, but I was able to remove most of it.

I uninstalled it quite a while ago and the only spyware I've received since then is a couple of low-risk tracking cookies.

Anyone who visits C9 doesn't need an antivirus program, unless that person shares a computer.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

if you have an AOL account (which is free), you can download the Virus Protection from McAfee (AOL Branded) from http://install.av.aol.com for free. OR if you want you can download a Virus Scan (McAfee)/Spyware Scan (Computer Associates)/and Firewall (Mcafee) from http://www.aol.com/safety. The most you get is a little splash screen which if you email me I'll tell you the reg key to disable it.

Oh their free so maybe that beats paying $60.

• User profile image
    staceyw

jsampsonPC wrote:
    So I bought the upgrade to my Norton software today - it was about $60. Which, if you ask me, is a small price to pay for securing my precious laptop (which generates 100% of my income right now). Little to my knowledge, Norton had something other than Securing my computer in-stock when I paid them the mullah.

I agree and why I stopped using it.  It also is a hog in many ways.  Norton has not put out anything good sense Peter sold it (what is he doing these days anyway?). I now use OneCare, it stays out of my way and seems to work well.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Cybermagellan wrote:
    if you have an AOL account (which is free), you can download the Virus Protection from McAfee (AOL Branded) from http://install.av.aol.com for free. OR if you want you can download a Virus Scan (McAfee)/Spyware Scan (Computer Associates)/and Firewall (Mcafee) from http://www.aol.com/safety. The most you get is a little splash screen which if you email me I'll tell you the reg key to disable it.

Oh their free so maybe that beats paying $60.

mcafee is just as bad as norton (if not worse). Not to mention almost impossible to remove from an OEM install unless done immediately after purchasing and through some serious work. Symantec's only decent antivirus is its corporate version (completly invisible on my work pc) even tho its still a cpu/memory hog

however at home i choose AVG over all the others... the personal version is free (or was when i installed it).... no pc i have ever installed it on has ever had virus problems afterwards... including ones i cleaned and where owned by clueless users just begging to be infected.

• User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

I ditched McAfee because it caused more problems then it solved and now use Windows Defender + Clam Win Antivirus - no problems yet!

http://www.clamwin.com/ 

free and regular automatic virus def updates.

And Norton on the Mac( back in my mac days) made me not even consider it an the peecee.....

• User profile image
    Zeus

I am running all my computers "virus defending program free". That is ... I don't have any virus defending programs installed on any of my computers. Windows firewall does the job for me ...

And only once have I had a virus on my computer, and that was the infamous SQL Server 2000 Slammer virus which infected my SQL server.

I have religiously informed all family members to not open any suspected email attatchments, use Firefox for browsing and always, always keep my computers up to date with patches.

I do use ad-aware on all computers though, and rarely find something that is suspect.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Currently I'm running Windows Vista without an antivirus, however as soon as OneCare Beta comes out for Windows Vista I'll be installing it.

As for Norton, you dont know how bad their products really are until you work for an ISP's CS department and have to deal with it on nearly every call.

• User profile image
    Sabot

The otherthign I hate about Nortons is that it just steals 20%-30% of your processor when you are performing any file intensive activity, like copying or moving or loading! Often I've found the Norton can happy bring a system to it's knees.

Fortunately my ISP is giving away a full-blown virus killer, called NetGuard, which does the job just fine, it's sits there quietly catching nasties which I sometimes get. Job done!

The thing is software does require a performance ... it just needs to do it's job and well.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

An..ti..vi...rus? I stopped using antivirus products a long time ago. Haven't had a virus ever since. Never even had to reinstall Windows. The only time I had to restore the system to a previous savepoint was after I upgraded from XP to XP SP2, and there were problems with my existing firewall. I first had to uninstall my firewall and reinstall it after upgrading to SP2.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier wrote:
    An..ti..vi...rus? I stopped using antivirus products a long time ago. Haven't had a virus ever since. Never even had to reinstall Windows. The only time I had to restore the system to a previous savepoint was after I upgraded from XP to XP SP2, and there were problems with my existing firewall. I first had to uninstall my firewall and reinstall it after upgrading to SP2.

Ditto.

A lot of the users here are very technologically competant, know how to conduct themselves online, and know how to get their browser to do what they want it to, not what the site author (maliciously) intends... so why does any of us need AV?

(Firewalls I can understand, but only hardware ones, software ones are just poo)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.