Coffeehouse Thread

57 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

For the curious/concerned: My Channel 9 Philosospsosphsophy

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rory

Hi.

Many of you won't care about this at all 'cause you simply derive joy from battling DarthVista in the forums and don't watch the videos.

But, I've been doing a little ego-surfing just to see how people are reacting to the news that I've been forcibly drafted at gunpoint happily joined the C9 team.

While most seem OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE, LIKE I'M GOING TO BE TO C9 WHAT JESUS WAS TO HOMEMADE WINE, there are those among you who are worried that I might not provide good content because I'm a "clown" (this is the most common derogatory statement I've been finding, and it is offensive to me in the highest because it groups me in with a demographic I hate, and it is simultaneously complimentary to clowns, so it must stop).

Anyway, here's the deal:

1. If you watched my "Exit" video, you just saw Charles and me having fun introducing me to C9 - that's not how I'll conduct my interviews - yeah, I'll be a little goofy because that's how I was built, but... move on to item number two:

2. As they say around here, "Content is king" - I know some of you are concerned that I'll try to inject too much of myself into the interviews, but this is not the case - I actually hate listening to/watching interviews where the interviewer takes the front seat (unless it's Letterman - he can do whatever he wants, and bless him and his little toupee)

3. If someone (or a group) is coming on C9 for an interview, then they're giving us their time, which translates to free content for us - in return, they get exposure - however, it's important to respect that the guests are giving up this time - as many of you know, dev cycles at Microsoft can be freaky intense and probably involve more deaths than your average dam construction, so the time is extremely valuable and not something to be wasted

4. I don't need to spread The Rory any further - I've had plenty of attention - not like the "A-List bloggers" or anything, but plenty enough to satisfy whatever weird insecurities I have which express themselves as a desire to be recognized by people I don't know

In other words, I'm here to create content - not further the interests of Rory (except to get paid - I totally want to get paid). And it just so happens that my brain seems to fit with Channel 9 as well as the team. I so feels like it's where I belong.

Just so you know Smiley

Didn't want anybody to be worried.

Anyway, move along...

Move along...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

You're far from off the hook.

The entire community saw you walk into to Charles' office, sit on c9 guys head as if you're king of the plushdom, and then attack Charles with a toy, following his injury with your sick-demonized laugh of terror.

We're on to you, Rory, we're on to you!

</Hehe>

On the other hand, It's great to have you with c9, man. I can only expect nothing but good times to follow!

• User profile image
    irascian

Rory wrote:
    (except to get paid - I totally want to get paid).

Yeah, there's a lot of that around here.

Oh, wait a minute.... You said "PAID". [Slaps forehead]

• User profile image
    pftqg

The only question that remains is... do loyal readers of the blog of rory get special favours, like easier access to 9 guys? 'cause then any doubts would totally go away. Straight away. Otherwise the penguins are going to have to head down, and they're totally not happy about not getting to go to your party that time.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Seems pretty sincere...the hells going on here? Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

LaBomba wrote:
    the hells going on here?

I was thinking the same thing, despite being C9's most prolific poster I didn't know who Rory was until this week.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Most prolific poster? I'm working my way up, watch out Wink

W3bbo wrote:

LaBomba wrote:the hells going on here?

I was thinking the same thing, despite being C9's most prolific poster I didn't know who Rory was until this week.

• User profile image
    Sabot

So Rory ... what have you been up to on your first days with us?

As for DarthVista et al, I prefer to take the ignore route, unless they are bang out of order. These guys get off on airtime so cut off the supply and hopefully their presence will wither and die.

So don't give'em any focus dude! ... life is to short.

Anyway, I am new to the ways of the Rory, so hopefully you get to come out and play soon and perhaps come with Charles in November to the UK?

The UK C9'er are a pretty strong contingent, I think one of the reasons for that is we do meet up now and again because we are all sad and lonely and Ian is our leader!

Cool

P.S. Doctor Who and BSG are were Sci-Fi is at now ... Stargate ... good but yesterday. (hmmm Major Carter)

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Whats to be worried about? You like SG-1 and BSG, that makes you fine in my book!

<shameless_plug>And if you love SG-1, you'll love SGCSim</shameless_plug>

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Who's Darth Vista?

Honestly Rory I think most "Geeks" have a different mindset with humor (if you only seen what goes on at my work *sigh*), I'll just say I don't think Jeff could have picked a better person to come to the C9 Team.

As Scobles Replacement You are your own style and that is why people love you and the French like to write newspaper articles about you. Welcome to C9 Rory...looking forward to hearing more from you!

• User profile image
    Tensor

Sabot wrote:

The UK C9'er are a pretty strong contingent, I think one of the reasons for that is we do meet up now and again because we are all sad and lonely and Ian is our leader!

Some of you do - the rest of us are in the blasted North, eeking out a meagre existance, eating only what we can catch and kill.

Or something.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Rory your goofiness and  the way you present yourself and the way you are is what makes you popular around here.  Dont come along and change your style and start interviewing like Barbara Walters (although that might be funny seeing Rory dressed in drag) people may start changing the "channel".  Not everyone is going to like the way you present yourself, either way its great to have you on C9 and I look forward to great content.

Rory wrote:
    Hi.

Many of you won't care about this at all 'cause you simply derive joy from battling DarthVista in the forums and don't watch the videos.

But, I've been doing a little ego-surfing just to see how people are reacting to the news that I've been forcibly drafted at gunpoint happily joined the C9 team.

While most seem OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE, LIKE I'M GOING TO BE TO C9 WHAT JESUS WAS TO HOMEMADE WINE, there are those among you who are worried that I might not provide good content because I'm a "clown" (this is the most common derogatory statement I've been finding, and it is offensive to me in the highest because it groups me in with a demographic I hate, and it is simultaneously complimentary to clowns, so it must stop).

Anyway, here's the deal:

1. If you watched my "Exit" video, you just saw Charles and me having fun introducing me to C9 - that's not how I'll conduct my interviews - yeah, I'll be a little goofy because that's how I was built, but... move on to item number two:

2. As they say around here, "Content is king" - I know some of you are concerned that I'll try to inject too much of myself into the interviews, but this is not the case - I actually hate listening to/watching interviews where the interviewer takes the front seat (unless it's Letterman - he can do whatever he wants, and bless him and his little toupee)

3. If someone (or a group) is coming on C9 for an interview, then they're giving us their time, which translates to free content for us - in return, they get exposure - however, it's important to respect that the guests are giving up this time - as many of you know, dev cycles at Microsoft can be freaky intense and probably involve more deaths than your average dam construction, so the time is extremely valuable and not something to be wasted

4. I don't need to spread The Rory any further - I've had plenty of attention - not like the "A-List bloggers" or anything, but plenty enough to satisfy whatever weird insecurities I have which express themselves as a desire to be recognized by people I don't know

In other words, I'm here to create content - not further the interests of Rory (except to get paid - I totally want to get paid). And it just so happens that my brain seems to fit with Channel 9 as well as the team. I so feels like it's where I belong.

Just so you know

Didn't want anybody to be worried.

Anyway, move along...

Move along...

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:

It's precisely BECAUSE you're C9's most prolific poster that you don't know who Rory is. You need to get out of the coffee house more!

1. Rory has done some very cool videos for C9. He was highlighted on the main home page here for the best part of a week not too long ago.

2. As a .NET developer you should at least have checked out the .NET Rocks podcast. Rory's not been there for a while but there are what, something like 50 episodes where he was co-host?

3. There have been several links to particularly good posts of his that were made from within posts here in Coffeehouse in the past. Check out his blog at www.neopoleon.com for a bit of fun away from the "intensity" of the Coffee house

4. There is no point 4.

• User profile image
    irascian

Sabot wrote:

You got that round the wrong way. It should be "Ian is sad and loney and we are our own leaders".

If there's any leader (and God, I hope there isn't because next thing you know there's politics everywhere and people jostling for position for all the wrong reasons) it would be you.

As I recall it was you who set up the first meetings (mine was after a few others had met I think) and hooked up at the first DDD day.

And it was you who managed to assemble a trio of 9ers at very short notice late on a Sunday afternoon when Charles was over.

So take a bow and well done you! Big Smile

(Of course you realise that as well as taking the kudos for the strong UK contingent you have to take the brickbats too, right? Wink)

• User profile image
    figuerres

well Rory if you look over here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=238667

you will find a post that says what I like to see...

live, real, informal etc....

I think things will be a blast and you will go far. Smiley

• User profile image
    Rory

irascian wrote:

Rory wrote: (except to get paid - I totally want to get paid).

Yeah, there's a lot of that around here.

Oh, wait a minute.... You said "PAID". [Slaps forehead]

That was beautifully executed Smiley

And, yeah. That, too.

OK. I can see HR closing in on me for that comment. I'm just going to stop while I'm still empl-

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Oh no. It's "W3bbo II".

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.