Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Extending IE7 address-bar-functionality

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I was just thinking of something. Google has features in their search engine that allow you to call definitions, "define: cow" which return dictionary references. I got confused the other day and tried to call a "define" from the IE7 address-bar, which, of course, died on me.

Could this type of functionality be added to IE? Using the address-bar for more than addresses and javascript-injections would be cool Smiley

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

just type "define: cow" into the search box, and Live Search will bring up the answer.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Yeah, good point.

I always know that search bar is up there, but to be honest...I cannot think of a single instance where I actually used it Smiley I should probably start using it Tongue Out

Thanks

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    just type "define: cow" into the search box, and Live Search will bring up the answer.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

ick.

Google: "Define: Verbose"
    Live Search: "Define: Verbose"

which one do you like better?

• User profile image
    Rowan

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    ick.

I prefer Google, simpler layout, more detail and more results. It also has related phrases and alternate languages.

Live is too brief.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    ick.

Live Search's definition, although simpler, is too vague to be of any real use.  How do they define "too many" words?  Aren't there situations where you would want to be verbose? In those situations it wouldn't be too many words at all.  (Google's definition does this, too, but it also says "long winded" and gives examples so you can see what the word means in context.)

• User profile image
    borosen

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    ick.

When I tried the live search link, at first I did not see the result.

Why?
    - This was my first attempt at a 'define' query against live, so no prior experience with the site.
    - The definition that was sought for, is at a place commonly used for adverts.
    - The result for the define query (which I find satisfactory) drowned in the other results, which I was not searching for.

In this area, I stick with google.

• User profile image
    Angus

Using "define" on Google is great, and it would be cool to have it implemented somewhere in IE 7. I would also like to see JavaScript injections as Firefox currently supports them, and they can be helpful.

Are the menus, etc. fully moveable in IE 7 yet?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    sbc

When you use 'define:' on Google you can get more than one result from different web sites. Live Search only uses Encarta and shows search results as well.

If I am looking for a definition, I want to see the different ways it can be interpreted. Also, I don't want search results as well (if you type 'define:' you are specifically wanting a defintion, not to do a general search).

So Google is the best for me.

• User profile image
    Jorgie

You can use registry entries to define search keys or VERBS in most versons of ie...

Here are the ones I use:

http://b0n.us/ie.search/

ie.search.txt is a list the verbs that are setup by ie.search.reg;

ie.search.reg is the file that defines the registry entries. You can just download it to your system and double-click on it. Always open  .reg files in a text editor and make sure they do what you think they do. (Once you merge the reg file, I think you need to open a new instance of IE before it will starting working.) 

For your case, you could create a new entry like this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl\define]
    @="http://www.google.ca/search?q=define:%s"

Then you would search for the definition of steampunk on by entring this on the address bar:

define steampunk

(notice no colon. If you want to use a colon, you will have to add it to the verb Key in the registry. I have never tried it.)

Or you could just use my existing google search which is a single g and call it like this on the address bar:

g define:steampunk

(Again, notice no colon after the verb.)

Hope that helps!

Jorgie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.